It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creepy, Crusty, Crumbling: Illegal Tour of Abandoned Six Flags New Orleans [75 Pics]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Like little kids, we all experience a happy rush, a delighted thrill, when going to play at an amusement park. Yet when an amusement park is abandoned and an eerie silence settles over the rusty and crusty decay, the setting seems to twist the atmosphere of enthusiastic excitement into a suffocating blanket of dread. The place takes on creepy vibes and freaks people out. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and ripped the heart of fun and the amusement out of this park. Almost six years later, Six Flags in New Orleans is unnaturally silent, no lines and no laughter...

www.lovethesepics.com...

Really look through em all. There's a bunch of great ones. Well not "Great" but great photo's. Hope you guys enjoy.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Oh man. What a gallery.
As a metaphor for Western Civilization, that collection pretty well sums it up.
Wow.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing. These pictures are hauntingly beautiful, I would love to go take my own. Would make a great horror movie set!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It looks like something you would see after TEOTWAWKI.

but it did during Hurricane Katrina .

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The photog did a great job with framing & filters.

It's like a post-apocalyptic world.

s&f

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
This brought tears to my eyes.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
That brought back some memories. We used to travel from Mississippi down I-10 into New Orleans to do hurricane cleanup in the months after Katrina.

Once you cross over Lake Pontchartrain and hit semi solid ground look out to your left and you will see what's left of Jazzland. Don't take your eyes off the road for too long though, there's always a 'gator looking to be turned into luggage crossing the road right around there.

Kinda sad to know what I saw with my eyes in 2005-2006 still looks the same to this day.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Great pics, is it just me or are alot of the pictures blank & black ?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
im mad because they just let die six flags like that

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Looks like they can use six flags in one of those "Life after people" shows.
Good pics, I haven't seen these before. Kinda creepy.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Weird I would have expected it to be dirtier, in some of those pictures it looks as if it has been cleaned up? What a shame looked like a decent park back in the day.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There used to be an amusement park in Detroit called Edge Water. I went there a year or two before it closed. I heard that they tore it down, but many years later I found out it was abandoned. I found similar pictures to yours of Edge Water in a later state of decay. Thanks for the pictures.

MSB

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Some awesome examples of HDR photography there...

I would love to go there at night and take some shots!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The grafitti is a real shame. It's hard to separate actual Katrina damage, and the damage from abandonment, with the damage caused by a bunch of jackholes who like to tag and go 'wilding.'

I love abandoned structures and buildings, so of course I would love to photograph that site, too. I would imagine, if the bulldozers don't come in, that the site will look awesome in about ten years. When the rust really starts to take hold, the plants and trees really take over, and the real fragile stuff starts to crumble, that will be an amazing landscape.

It's sad to see things like this, Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo, Youngstown, etc. I guess we (Americans) can't be judgemental of the awesome urban decay in the former Soviet Union.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
posting now so i can take a look at it later. looks interesting.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by manticorex5
im mad because they just let die six flags like that

It was dieing before Katrina and Nickolodean now owns the property and they are going to turn into a them park of their own.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Here's what he has to say:

Like a Bad Dream – abandoned Six Flags. This is what the photographer had to say, “I spotted the haunted lines of its empty roller coaster from the Ninth Ward off Interstate 510 while playing tourist in 2009 and begged a friend to pull over to investigate. We found an open gate, infiltrated it, and proceeded to sneak around the eerie, ‘end of world’ Zombie like setting. An adrenaline enhanced experience I’ll never forget. It was like exploring a haunted, adult junkyard theme park on ecstasy, the sick criminal cousin of Disney World. In a good way….I could have spent days, if not weeks taking pictures on the lonely grounds.”

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Oh man, thanks for bringing these to my attention. I love interesting photos, and can end up spending hours looking at them. Guess it is just the artist side of me

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
These are amazing. Thank you for posting this, its creepy but so beautiful.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's an absolute shame. The company that I work for is the company that built the park. I know the hard work and sweat that went into it, and to see it in such a sad state is truly tragic.

There is an equally disturbing video of the park that can be found on youtube. I'd post it but that site is blocked.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join