It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing info on Hurricane Alex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I saw a mention on the Accuweather pro site that there has been no evacuation of the outer banks for this storm. This could turn out to be a major mistake as Alex is now a category 2 hurricane. While it looks possible, even likely, that they will dodge the bullet and most of the storm will stay offshore, it's quite simply crazy to gamble on a hurricane going 30 miles one way or the other.

As it is, I expect Hatteras will see gusts to 90mph or more this early afternoon even if the storm stays offshore.

I really thought public safety officials knew better than this nowadays. :-(

Edit:

I can't link non-members to the accuwaether pro site content, but there is a wealth of hurricane advisory information available free here: www.hurricaneadvisories.com...

[edit on 3-8-2004 by x_y_no]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
NOAA seems to think people should be getting out of some areas.

HURRICANE ALEX FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 13

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM CAPE LOOKOUT TO OREGON
INLET NORTH CAROLINA...INCLUDING THE PAMLICO SOUND. THIS MEANS
THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA
DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY
SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Enki:

That is the standard text for a hurricane warning issued by NOAA.

Evacuations are the responsibility of local officials. I'm looking for confirmation, but the report I saw indicates that there was no official evacuation.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It's not that bad, I have been through worse hurricanes than this. There's no reason for evacuation right now. I think Alex will continue on a north eastern path causing maybe some beach erosion possibly some light damage. It's not really as bad as you may think.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
They still shoudln't be taking any chances. People in bigger countries have the choice to evacuate. People living on islands (especially the caribbean) have nowhere to go, so they have to brace themselves..

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by x_y_no
Enki:

That is the standard text for a hurricane warning issued by NOAA.

Darn, they make it sound so dramatic.

Evacuations are the responsibility of local officials. I'm looking for confirmation, but the report I saw indicates that there was no official evacuation.

Went looking for an outer banks tv station and found this:

Outer Banks Hurricane Information

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... RESIDENTS AND TOURISTS ALONG THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF HURRICANE ALEX. HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ARE ENCOURAGED TO STAY OFF THE ROADS UNTIL WEATHER CONDITIONS IMPROVE LATER THIS AFTERNOON. FOR CITIZENS RESIDING IN LOW LYING FLOOD PRONE AREAS... THE HAVELOCK HIGH SCHOOL IS OPEN FOR SHELTER.

Doesn't sound like an evacuation.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I found this minor blurb from a Hatteras area news source:

Officials recommended Hatteras Island residents stay off the road today as gusts reach hurricane force.

�We expect gale-force winds most of the day,� Dare County spokeswoman Dorothy Toolan said Monday.

Daily Reflector

No indication of evacuation. I think they assumed this wouldn't strengthen as much as it has.

Chances are still good that the storm stays mostly offshore and everyone is OK, but it seems like a stupid gamble to me.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
And people here have the choice to evacuate as well. I think they are capable of making their own decisions. This isn't that big of a deal. You take the precautions that you need to of course. This storm will not change paths suddenly, it's not cause to cause mass devastation. As I've said, I have been through worse hurricanes than this.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
They only get worried when the winds hit 120mph. I think that is crazy, but they are use to it.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
It's not that bad, I have been through worse hurricanes than this. There's no reason for evacuation right now. I think Alex will continue on a north eastern path causing maybe some beach erosion possibly some light damage. It's not really as bad as you may think.

Well, yeah ... me too. I was in the north eyewall of Andrew.

And of course no one should evacuate *now* - wherever you are, sit tight.

My point is not what will actually occur today - chances are everyone will be fine. My point is that public safety officials have to be conservative. It was perfectly possible that this storm would have tracked another 20 or 30 miles west, which would have put the eye over the landward side of the outer banks, likely flooding them with a 6 or 8 foot surge instead of the 3 or 4 foot surge they'll probably get.

top topics

join