It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is "Logan's Run" (book) worth my limited time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Somebody else in another ATS thread mentioned it. I've never even heard of it, which is weird because I like sci-fi from around that time: Philp K Dick, Harlan Ellison, etc.

So should I read it?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Sure..read it..

I did years ago..

was a good read if you are into the era of sci-fi..

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
yes

although

normally i prefer non fiction

some fiction though

needs to be read

this should be if you are here

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Just watch the movie. You'll get the plot much quicker.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hmmmm... Your asking us if we should waste your time reading a book. If it's worth it.

You already Google the Movie? It's been around a while.

You Google which is better? The Movie or the Book?

OR You want us to tell you what to not waste your time on, if we hope you like our opinion.

Here's an idea... why not read the book..or watch the movie,and get back to us if it was a waste of your time?

That way, we will make sure we know what makes you happy on many subjects, before we present them to you.

Or just throw out idea's and ask if we think you'll like them.

Good?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Here is a short rundown on it.

The Earth has been ruined by something in the distant past-- war, plague, ecological disaster, it is never revealed. The remains of humanity have lived within a sealed, domed city, unaware of the condition of the outside or the origin of their own living conditions; to them, the city is and always has been the entire world. To maintain the internal balance of the city, both reproduction and death are carefully controlled by a monolithic master computer. The only sex is loveless and nymphomaniacal; there are no relationships, no wives or husbands, only "the circuit" where you can obtain a temporary sex partner, as well as orgy rooms, filled with clouds of narcotic gas. Babies are born in glass boxes; the palm of their hand is implanted with a "life clock," a penny-sized lamp that looks like a crystal. At age 30, the life clock flashes red, and the bearer must report for a ceremony where he is told he is "renewed" but is in fact incinerated. Those who wish to avoid the 30-year-limit must become what is called a "runner." Runners are considered criminals, and hunted by policemen known as "sandmen."

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the feedback, it doesn't seem so long so maybe I'll give it a try.

And the reason I asked ATS rather than Google is because a certain type of person comes to ATS (as baddmove basically put it) and I want the opinion of this type of person.

Sometimes its nice to ask "real live people" questions instead of Google

Originally posted by kdog1982
"...The only sex is loveless and nymphomaniacal; there are no relationships, no wives or husbands, only "the circuit" where you can obtain a temporary sex partner, as well as orgy rooms, filled with clouds of narcotic gas...."

Sounds like some Internet chatrooms I've run into out there...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Yes,Iknow what you mean,
unfortunately,my time clock ran out awhile back,and I can't run that fast anymore.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
For those who like dark books, an oldie but goodie is "The Long Walk" by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman).

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I am interested in the study of all types of dystopian societies. For that reason alone, Logan's Run is/was worth the read imo.

new topics

top topics

join