It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Obama ignores the War Powers Resolution; Turning point in America?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Well if Republicans have any guts, if in 30 days no war resolution has passed, they would move to impeach Obama.

But no way the democrats in the Senate will vote to impeach their god nor the republicans will do it since they love war.

The impeachment procedure is BS really... since house and senate are in the whole scam.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

If our involvement would've exceeded the 30 day requirement Congressional action is required but since we were in and out in about 20 or so days requires no action by the Congress.

Both The US Senate and US House of Representatives respective Armed Services Committe's were kept in the loop the entire time and were getting updated constantly from The White House, Pentagon and Joints Chiefs.
edit on 20-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Sen. John Kerry, D-Massachusetts, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on Tuesday that he is "talking to the administration" about what exactly Congress and the White House might do to abide by that looming 60-day deadline Friday with regard to Libya.

"We want to make sure we're not stretching anything inappropriate. So we're looking at some language," Kerry said as he entered a weekly policy lunch in the Capitol with Democratic senators. "We're really looking at it very seriously to keep everyone on the same page."

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

TheImmaculateD1, I'll have Sen. Kerry give you a call. Apparently he is not on the same page as you. His bad.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Sen. John Kerry, D-Massachusetts, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on Tuesday that he is "talking to the administration" about what exactly Congress and the White House might do to abide by that looming 60-day deadline Friday with regard to Libya.

"We want to make sure we're not stretching anything inappropriate. So we're looking at some language," Kerry said as he entered a weekly policy lunch in the Capitol with Democratic senators. "We're really looking at it very seriously to keep everyone on the same page."

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

TheImmaculateD1, I'll have Sen. Kerry give you a call. Apparently he is not on the same page as you. His bad.

Which means The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee imposed a 60 day deadline to be out and since we were out in 3 wks means we met and adhered to the deadline.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Call it tap-dancing around the issue, sleight-of-hand, word games, but we NOW have an administration that can unilaterally decide who to get regardless of that whole silly "separation of powers" issue.

A previous poster stated something along the lines of "war on terror" being all encompassing.
Another pointed out a budget two-step that avoided the issue as well.

Nice. Wasn't it Geitner that said that he made a mistatke on his taxes because of "TurboTax"? I guess excuses come easy to this administration.

A sad day for America.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

The deadline was today.

WAS, being the operatve word.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
No, the turning point in America is clearly demarked: it was when the Bush Doctrine of "preventative war" overturned the Augustine doctrine of the "Just War." That singular change in American policy destroyed any claim that the U.S. may have had in terms of moral authority. We become the aggressors, the invaders. For the past 9 years, a cloud of shame hangs over us and it has rained toxic attitudes across the world and among much of us who are ashamed.

The next is the Supreme Court's ruling last year that turned corporations into super citizens with rights, no matter that a corporation a fiction, just a legal creation by society never matter that the corporation might be have most shareholders being citizens of another country. This ruling effectively destroyed all chances for an honest election EVER again.

But you ignorant Righties go a. and keep on inventing boogiemen.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

That does not address the fact that Obama is right now, accoding to many, fighting an illegal war. He is in violation of the War Powers Act.

I can't believe there is still people blaming Bush for Obamas' violation.
Unbelievable!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The deadline was today.

WAS, being the operatve word.

If we would've still been there Congressional approval would've been required but since we are out no Congressional action is required.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

So we aren't flying fighter missions anymore?
We aren't operating drone missions anymore?
American admiral, Samuel Locklear, commander of NATO's Allied Joint Force Command Naples, isn't overseeing Canadian three-star general, Charles Bouchard anymoore?

My bad.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

American admiral, Samuel Locklear, commander of NATO's Allied Joint Force Command Naples, isn't overseeing Canadian three-star general, Charles Bouchard anymoore?

My bad.

Locklear is under the employ of NATO and not the US. We are still running unarmed Preadators to assist them as that isn't a violaiton as that is on loan to NATO, EU.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

My bad.

Locklear is under the employ of NATO and not the US. We are still running unarmed Preadators to assist them as that isn't a violaiton as that is on loan to NATO, EU.

How is unarmed drones NOT a violation?
I guess Admiral Locklear doesn't answer to POTUS either.

Maybe you should be taking this argument up with Sen. Kerry. HE obviously thinks we're doing something over there.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

My bad.

How is unarmed drones NOT a violation?
I guess Admiral Locklear doesn't answer to POTUS either.

Maybe you should be taking this argument up with Sen. Kerry. HE obviously thinks we're doing something over there.

Locklear answers to NATO Supreme Command while he wears their uniform. We have the video linkups to control the Drones.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

So war by remote control isn't in violation.
Got it.
I guess the Obama administration is going to use the HALO/Ghost Recon (PS3) clause to get out of this one!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Frankly, I believe that they will violate the War Powers Resolution, and despite the fact that the War Powers Resolution is probably unconstitutional, I do not support the continued military action.

However, I do not think this will be a 'Turning point', as the Resolution has already been violated twice by recent presidents:

In 1982, Reagan sent Marines into Lebanon and kept them there for a year without official congressional approval. Congress finally passed a resolution authorizing Reagan to continue for 18 more months.

In 1999, during the conflict in Kosovo, Clinton authorized U.S. airstrikes on Yugoslavia. The 60-day deadline passed, with no explicit permission from Congress (although Congress did provide funding for the strikes). The air campaign ended after 78 days.

Source

It didn't seem to matter then, and it probably won't matter now. Most people will be too busy watching TV and drinking tap water to care, and the Military Industrial machine will keep turning.

I would also like to add, that it's not just Republicans in Congress challenging Obama on this, Democrats are involved as well. This would seem to be less of a partisan issue, and more of a branch powers issue.
edit on 20-5-2011 by drwizardphd because: Speeling

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

So war by remote control isn't in violation.
Got it.
I guess the Obama administration is going to use the HALO/Ghost Recon (PS3) clause to get out of this one!

Op: Odyssey Dawn was ordered ended within 60 days of it begining Mar 19 and concluding Mar 31 2011.

en.wikipedia.org...

Where was your vile hatred of 43 when he pre emptive launched against Iraq illegally and without Congressional approval? No response huh? Now if the target would've been either Iran or Syria y'all would've been foaming at the mouth over that but since we are actually defending a rebel group makes it wrong somehow.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Thank you for your input. Appreciate that. And I think it's very true that this is more of a separation of powers issue than just a mere violation of "something".

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

1. Wasn't a big fan of 43, wasn't here, so it's just my word.
2. Congress did approve 43 going to war. Kerry again, I voted for the war before I voted against it. . . .
3. Syria isn't consistant with Obamas' foreign policy. I have no friggin' CLUE what his foreign policy is. Libya bad, Syria meh, Iran meh, Pakistan ?, . . . . . If he were consistant with a certain issue, I'd give you an opinion of his policy. But the way he's conducting it, it looks like he's using a damned OUIJA BOARD to determine it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Op: Odyssey Dawn was ordered ended within 60 days of it begining Mar 19 and concluding Mar 31 2011.

en.wikipedia.org...

Can anyone confirm this?

Everything I am reading online seems to indicate that we indeed still are operating both unmanned and manned aerial strikes in Libya. These strikes are not only being conducted by NATO, but also by US forces, as I understand.

Again, the information I can find is fuzzy and hard to interpret. According to this Wiki Link we have deployed predator drones as recently as April 21st, and:

According to General James Cartwright, two patrols of drones would be above Libya at all times, with the first deployment originally scheduled for 21 April, though inclement weather forced a delay.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

reply to post by drwizardphd

Every source I can find points to 20th May being the deadline.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
dailycaller.com...
www.dailykos.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.democraticunderground.com...

Deadline is nullified as we are out way before the deadline was reached which makes this argument moot.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join