It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The reason OP's post was met with such hostility is because it is an example of a human interest story being unconsciously turned to support a partisan political narrative.

They didn't beg for help from the Federal or state government, they didn't sit around and complain and cry "why me?", NO, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work.

There is an unstated assumption here, that it is somehow wrong or lazy to expect help from the government. Maybe that wasn't the intention but that was the subtext that many here picked up on.

Most people have no other option than to rely on the government.

We don't own acres of farmland, have access to heavy earth moving equipment, or even the money to hire it, most of us don't even own our own homes. Most of us have no options beyond "sitting around and complaining" or crying "why me?". When faced with a natural disaster we have no options beyond picking up what little of our lives we can carry and seeking our higher ground both metaphorically and literally. So there tends to be a bit of a disconnect almost reminiscent of the infamous "then let them eat cake" response, when someone holds up those who do have options as an example to those who do not.
Some might say I'm reading too much into this. I don't think I am, I just think I'm seeing things from all angles. I doubt the OP meant any harm, or meant to provoke controversy. They were just talking about the world as they see it, and relaying what they felt to be a uplifting story in the face of total tragedy. Unfortunately we all see the world through different eyes, behind different lens, and one man's feel good story is trite nonsense to another. In this often subjective world who is to say who is right and who is wrong? Sometimes we just see things differently.

Hence the hostility, which is unfortunate but inevitable.
The one thing I'm sure everyone can agree on though is that people are suffering, and they need help.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfBoogyman
The reason OP's post was met with such hostility is because it is an example of a human interest story being unconsciously turned to support a partisan political narrative.

They didn't beg for help from the Federal or state government, they didn't sit around and complain and cry "why me?", NO, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work.

Most people have no other option than to rely on the government.
I have to disagree with you here, this is the kind of thinking that has led to the nanny state we are in. Before government people relied on community and churches and neighbors and friends. Works alot better that way.

The one thing I'm sure everyone can agree on though is that people are suffering, and they need help.
Agreed

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
yea i agree its great some people were ableto do this

what about those who werent rich and didnt have the means to build a giant dam in such a short amount of time

this is a true tragedy and only shows much more how the lower end of people will always suffer the most

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying

wow thats some awesome work.

i love it when ppl just act instead of going WTF WTF WTF

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
This is beautiful, it almost seems as if the homes were meant to be like that.
There is tragedy, but tragedy is riddled with beauty.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Oh, wow! They've made their own islands! Priceless will to survive and beautiful, too. Perhaps, now their property will have some "historical value".

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I don't really see what is heroic about this at all.
People are saving their own goods/money. This is no different than carrying a laptop out of a burning house.

Heroism means you saved somebody else, not yourself. It is in mans nature to look out for their own well being. Nor am I shunning looking out for yourself/material goods. I'd carry all laptops I had out of my burning house :3
edit on 5/21/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
one thing is. do they travel by boat now? or do they fly in on helicopter? mailbox?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
I don't really see what is heroic about this at all.
Why has this statement continued to be repeated over and over throughout this thread?
Those who are using the word hero, are those who keep saying that there is no heroism in this story.

reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
there is no need to respond calling me an arsehole, as your words will fall on deaf ears
Correct, because you obviously already know.

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Who the hell cares how they saved their homes or why? The fact that so many of you have focused on this crap shows me that there's no hope left for us as a species. Either you're rich and powerful or poor and stupid.
The fact that people like you, jump to conclusions, and aim insults directly at others (me), without having any idea of what you are talking about, further sustains my gratitude of the fact that there is no remaining hope for your species.

Look here

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Originally posted by i am just saying

Originally posted by -W1LL
its cool to see but sadly I dont see a home owner doing any work except for spending cash to build those Dykes,

A crew was paid to come in and build those berms might only take a day or 2 with trucks bringing dirt in.

its sad that our tax dollars are so misspent that private citizens must spend their own money to fix an easily solved problem that is anything but new...

Text

seriously?

that is what you got from this?

Lets be serious here.....these forums are going downhill everyone is bitching and complaining because they dont get what they want. I am sick of it......I am 23 yrs old.....people complain about this and that every #ing day....GROW UP..... its called being prepared.... and not even being prepared its called being smart and resposible....Yes is sucks all these people are getting flooded out but I mean come on.....its not hard to work to make money......All the people who have commeted on this forum.....come on now be real......if you had the money to build a dike around your house would you not???? This is why America is coming down to its knees because people think just because its America its the way its supposed to be...I shouldn't have to do # as long as the other person does his part....GROW UP seriously I am getting sick of coming to this site because everyone is a little cry baby.....Yes the people that have a bull dozer or loader will protect your own house... I know damn well anyone in this forum who has access to these machines would use them no matter what the case....It sucks that these people are being displaced but come on now....They could have filled sand bags and made it so they would have their own dikes to surround there house....But now people want to bitch about the more fortunite people who work hard to play hard....That is all it really comes down too..... You have to work hard to have a good life....Half these people would rather bitch at the Goverment then actually build a dike around their own house....This is why America as a whole has failed.....

I mean look around there is countless people who I have gone to highschool with and what are these kids doing today...Living at home.... Wokring the same job they have been working since they started highschool....and expecting that everything should be givin to them.......GROW UP come one people... .WE AS WHOLE need to realise its not about us its about everyone....Which sucks because EVERYONE cant grow up and get along.....half of this forum acts like little kids and whines because it wasnt givien to us in the 1st place...... I really can not believe some of what is posted on this forum....Your all a bunch of whinnnny lilttle babys....Spoken from a member since a couple years ago here.....probally around 03....04.... people need to grow the hell up and realise its not the Goverment...its all the whiny little give me everything because our parents gave us everything......

Thats really all I have to say today... Spoken from a 23 yr old who realises people need to grow the F up.....

edit on 21-5-2011 by cav01c14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
not sure why i posted all as one quote and i can not figure out how to make it my opinion...but come one people....lets be serious....its life grow up....and fend for your selfs.....

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I said it because I don't think it is heroic when the OP and multiple people have called it such. Duh.....

I'll say what I please, k thx

I just don't like the watering down of the word hero.....................
edit on 5/21/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You are making this way too easy for me,
but I will still thank you for the "duh......."

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In certain geographys, in flood plains and river properties, such structures might be something to figure into the costs of purchase now.

If successful, these homes, and more like them, might serve to show a smart insurance for a now chaotic weather patterns all populations are beginning to see and not just in the Mississippi deltas and low lands near tributaries.

Being naturally inventive and creative, I started thinking what I would do. Imagining all the geo-hydro engineering in a pre-plan for a wall with rock, sand, concrete and reinforcement under local dirt, planted with surface sustaining plant cover with not too deep roots to resist erosion.

Pre-figuring the purchase of such a location property and including the cost of a boat, an articulated jetty (for escape and supply), fuel, water tanks for sustained survivability. A larger area to include space for gardens/greenhouse attached to the house. Shortwave and satellite with solar and battery storage also. I almost forgot to include a backhoe for earth moving repair and maintenance. But few could afford all that with a home.

I used to live near the Sacramento River. The delta and all along it's path are now aged and unstable levies that in a flood stage event would collapse in likely several places along the hundreds of miles of the dilapidated system. Officials have said as much several years ago. How many other areas on just our continent are in the same shape today?

So is this survivalist thinking, or now, due to such conditions simply common sense planning?

I personally want property in the Sierra Nevada below current snow levels. A deep well too. Near or next to the living structure a hill with several cargo containers buried for storage, and all the sustainable features I described. I've been imagining this for over a decade. I clearly have issues, intuition, or an unusual capacity for survival-think.

These people's lives and land pictured, deserve their own survival for being so diligent and taking action.

Thanks for the visuals. S/F

Pray for the rest.

ZG

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
These houses and estates that have been 'privately built do represent the fact there is money in the owner's pockets'. They I am grateful were saved Privately ,any way at all, but I do think the flood, the whole truths since the oil-spill, are likely (as many fear), as not, to "Set off The New Madrid Fault; splitting the US continent into an inland waterway separating East&western, USA! I saw the "Projected (in 09+'08, Navy Maps), showing what parts will be underwater! I am appalled that the Corp of Engineers were 'allowed to set off two sets of explosive(high end)materials to blow up Atop The New Madrid Fault, when in their "Knowing (the Corp),that The New Madrid had a series of small seismic activity, tremors from the pressure of the oil spill capped off ,and oil presuurizing into through the earth with the splillage from undersea continuing to flow, upping the geologic pressure. Does it really seem intelligent to "Set off Explosives Over a major Faultline that stretches from "The Gulf of Mexico, to The Great Lakes, with *The Mississippi Valey, Completly underwater save for a few Mountain in Tennesee, Noth Carolina, The Teatons, Some in Appaliatia, Kentuck, (my home),and West Virginia!, Hald (the Weastern half & central of The entire state of Kentucky would be underwater for eaons, with much of Southern illinois, Missouri,Louisiana, Geogia, All to Baton Rouge, and into the coast, at the gulf where the geological outline of The New Madrid Faultline, does turn wider(into a sort of bell shape,it gets wider as it goes down from the Great Lakes),we must STOP these idiots from allowing, And CAUSING another "OPERATION SUCH AS A DISASTER oF THESE PROPORTIONS! So who cares if These Fat-Cat rich folks drove The "TRACTOR or NOT????IN PEACE, with empathy, intelligence, and hope for Sheople to OPEN Their Eyes and Care to SEE The TRUTH~Shelly

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyApathy

These houses and estates that have been 'privately built do represent the fact there is money in the owner's pockets'. They I am grateful were saved Privately ,any way at all, but I do think the flood, the whole truths since the oil-spill, are likely (as many fear), as not, to "Set off The New Madrid Fault; splitting the US continent into an inland waterway separating East&western, USA! I saw the "Projected (in 09+'08, Navy Maps), showing what parts will be underwater! I am appalled that the Corp of Engineers were 'allowed to set off two sets of explosive(high end)materials to blow up Atop The New Madrid Fault, when in their "Knowing (the Corp),that The New Madrid had a series of small seismic activity, tremors from the pressure of the oil spill capped off ,and oil presuurizing into through the earth with the splillage from undersea continuing to flow, upping the geologic pressure. Does it really seem intelligent to "Set off Explosives Over a major Faultline that stretches from "The Gulf of Mexico, to The Great Lakes, with *The Mississippi Valey, Completly underwater save for a few Mountain in Tennesee, Noth Carolina, The Teatons, Some in Appalatia, Kentucky, (my home),and West Virginia!, Half the Weastern half & central of The entire Commonwealth of Kentucky would be underwater for eons, with much of Southern illinois, Missouri,Louisiana, Geogia, All to Baton Rouge, and into the coast, at the gulf where the geological outline of The New Madrid Faultline, does turn wider(into a sort of bell shape,it gets wider as it goes down from the Great Lakes),we must STOP these idiots from allowing, And CAUSING another "OPERATION SUCH AS A DISASTER oF THESE PROPORTIONS! So who cares if These Fat-Cat rich folks drove The "TRACTOR or NOT????IN PEACE, with empathy, intelligence, and hope for Sheople to OPEN Their Eyes and Care to SEE The TRUTH~Shelly
"A Government in fear of the people is a democracy.A Government the people fear, is a Tyranny"-Thomas Jefferson

edit on Sat May 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: spelling in last line of Jefferson quote

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Though I find this uplifting somewhat, can't help but wonder how much money it took them to build these homemade levies? They protected themselves but what of the communities?

Who's to say the poor wouldn't do the same thing if only they had extra cash?

Eh, whatever food for thought.
edit on 22-5-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How this thread turned into a poor vs rich debate is beyond me.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It is nice and courageous, but do not also forget to notice, these are wealthy homes. People who live there have the wealth and resources to save their homes. These are ALL machine made works, not just labor of the homeowners' hands and backs. Woe is average Joe without the gold for the backhoe. And the poor, well they are just simply f*ed.

Isn't capitalism a grand thing, if you don't sit around on your butt waiting for the government to give you a handout and you go out and r\earn your money, you might have enough money to save your own home, cause the present administration aint going to do it for anyone in a state that didn't vote Obama, just ask the Texans who had a third of their state on fire and the Buma wouldn't give them a dime.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyrson
It is nice and courageous, but do not also forget to notice, these are wealthy homes. People who live there have the wealth and resources to save their homes. These are ALL machine made works, not just labor of the homeowners' hands and backs. Woe is average Joe without the gold for the backhoe. And the poor, well they are just simply f*ed.

Isn't capitalism a grand thing, if you don't sit around on your butt waiting for the government to give you a handout and you go out and r\earn your money, you might have enough money to save your own home, cause the present administration aint going to do it for anyone in a state that didn't vote Obama, just ask the Texans who had a third of their state on fire and the Buma wouldn't give them a dime.
Sweet...you're on both sides of the fence, I don't know if I should debate you or give you a star...how did you do that?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join