It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former NSA Mathematician Says He Believes the Agency Stores Copies of All Emails Transmitted in Amer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Bill Binney, for his part, believes that the agency now stores copies of all e-mails transmitted in America, in case the government wants to retrieve the details later. In the past few years, the N.S.A. has built enormous electronic-storage facilities in Texas and Utah. Binney says that an N.S.A. e-mail database can be searched with “dictionary selection,” in the manner of Google. After 9/11, he says, “General Hayden reassured everyone that the N.S.A. didn’t put out dragnets, and that was true. It had no need—it was getting every fish in the sea.”

Binney considers himself a conservative, and, as an opponent of big government, he worries that the N.S.A.’s data-mining program is so extensive that it could help “create an Orwellian state.” Whereas wiretap surveillance requires trained human operators, data mining is automated, meaning that the entire country can be watched. Conceivably, U.S. officials could “monitor the Tea Party, or reporters, whatever group or organization you want to target,” he says. “It’s exactly what the Founding Fathers never wanted.”

Source & rest of article

Storing every e-mail? the part that actually makes sense to me is that they plan to get the details later. That resonates to me anyway the manner in which massive amounts of info stored would be collected then sorted later.

What do you all think about this?.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
well if they read mine,
they are going to have a very short
and boring day.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

Here is an excellent example:

NAIS Supporters Fighting Dirty

By Karen Nowak, Pond Ridge Farm Hackney Horses, Brookfield, NY

Since it is apparent that some of you think our government agencies are above board, let me share a story of my recent experience.

I have been heavily involved with the anti-NAIS movement since March of 2005. I have done literally thousands of hours of research - including obtaining hundreds of pages of government documents via the Freedom of Information Act. I researched both sides of this issue as objectively as I could, including interviewing people who are experts in the field....

And so, my name became *known* to the USDA and my State Dept of Agriculture. And here is where you will see just how far they will go to prevent the 'other side' from being heard...

...They succeeded in having me banned from the expo because I would be a 'negative influence'!

Technically it should have stopped there, as the ACLU does not normally go after a private corporation in matters like this. But the ACLU believed the whole story 'stunk of censorship' and did not buy the State Dept of Ag's excuse. They then had conversations with the expo organizers and a very interesting story emerged in where even names were named from my State Dept of Ag. They informed the expo organizers that I had been at a huge Farm Expo last August (Untrue as I working). They claimed that I harassed people, was rude and obnoxious and had even caused a riot to break out over NAIS! They also stated that they were 'in fear of being on the same grounds' as me for fear that I would cause another riot. Of course the expo organizers made the decision to ban me. Who wouldn't after hearing such a story from a govt agency? My first reaction was to laugh over this absolutely ridiculous 'story' then I really got angry. I was NOT at said Farm Expo but I did know people who attended. NO riot broke out!

My State Dept of Ag also provided the expo organizers with numerous e-mails that I had written about NAIS - going back an entire year. I saw these e-mails from our State Dept of Ag with my own eyes. It was then that I realized they are actually tracking me on the internet.... www.horsegazette.com...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I would feel very, very, very, very sorry for the NSA if this were true.

It must be extremely frustrating knowing that God-knows how many gigabytes of computer memory is being used to store e-mails of teenage girls, family pictures, etc.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeah, and if they read mine, it will, not only take awhile, they will be surprised, and perhaps may tend to give me a label, and not a nice one.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
ohh that was sooo unexpected...like the iphone stores no gps data (in every picture people - every picture!!!) or facebook just let their business partners by accident read all your details...

fight for internetz freedom!!!!

join anonymous - be anonymous!

like the secret service isnt checking the msm

edit on 19-5-2011 by Hessdalen because: funny & related pic added

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Of course they do...just like the ATF stores records of every firearm purchase....but there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing, confirms what I already suspected. Likely true, if not the storage they do have all access to people's accounts e-mail accounts that are suspected of terrorism. Possible even being certain web site message boards and chats are you on some list/s...some computer/s, at least somewhere. Not to promote one to be scared, but just know the possibilities.

Free speech on the Internet is not very free at all(minus independent site restrictions), if you decide to talk of something "they" deem illegal.
If it's in writing(or as these days on video) it can and will be used against you.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Oh good!

That means that the 100,000 or so emails lost during the Cheney/Rumsfeld/Bush administration are available for the justice department to review after all.

Ooops, wait, I bet they didn't think of that.....

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

well if they read mine, they are going to have a very short and boring day.

Oh.......s-u-u-u-u-u-re, Boon..........

We don't believe that for a minute......

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
So I guess its back to the post man or Fedex. Then if you wanna get real crafty, carrier pigeons...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Those will be "deleted by accident" don't ya know

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

Did anyone actually have to be told that? Anyone one with common sense would know that was a given. I haad to update my yahoo account recently and now it tells me that everything is being stored. Not that it was not necessarily being stored before but now they tell you. I am anything but an expert on any of this. However when you are dealing with a govt. that is notorious for wiretapping and collecting data on all kinds of everyday people why wouldn.t they expand their capabilities. The powers to be are so paranoid anymore they would be diagnosed crazy. That is what frightens me is anything is possible witth paranoid crazy people.

new topics

top topics

join