It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when you give Anonymous a bank?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It could quite litteraly change EVERYTHING

The same people who brought you Wikileaks are back, and this time, they've created a virtual currency called Bitcoin that could destabilize the entire global financial system. Bitcoin is an open-source virtual currency generated by a computer algorithm that is completely beyond the reach of financial intermediaries, central banks and national tax collectors. Bitcoins could be used to purchase anything, at any time, from anyone in the world, in a transaction process that it is almost completely frictionless.

And that's where things start to get interesting. Veteran tech guru Jason Calacanis recently called Bitcoin the most dangerous open source project he's ever seen. TIME suggested that Bitcoin might be able to bring national governments and global financial institutions to their knees. You see, Bitcoin is as much a political statement as it is a virtual currency. If you think there's a shadow banking system now, wait a few more months. The political part is that, unlike other virtual currencies like Facebook Credits (used to buy virtual sock puppets for your friends), Bitcoins are globally transferrable across borders, making them the perfect instrument to finance any cause or any activity -- even if it's banned by a sovereign government.

You don't need a banking or trading account to buy and trade Bitcoins - all you need is a laptop. They're like bearer bonds combined with the uber-privacy of a Swiss bank account, mixed together with a hacker secret sauce that stores them as 1's and 0's on your computer. They're "regulated" (to use the term lightly) by distributed computers around the world. Most significantly, Bitcoins can not be frozen or blocked or taxed or seized.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Oberlin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Anonymous wasn't involved with wikileaks..

Scratch that, I guess I can see how Anonymous can use it however...
probably what you intended
edit on 19-5-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Instead of paper dollars representing something, we can get pixel dollars that represent something that's not real.
Along with how unsecure the internet is, equals?
Lol anon propaganda 'We are good'
Anon=NWO?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This whole idea seems bound to not take off... people like knowing, or thinking at least.. that there's a physical backing to their currency.. mostly that's not true but people perceive it as true, they think they can go to the bank and pull it all out.. but if everyone did that we'd learn quickly that much of what we have is already virtual.

still, people like that feeling..

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Unlikely, since the NWO has already done this with the Euro; it was the first electronic currency. It existed for three years purely as an e-currency before the notes came into circulation. If coming off the gold standard was phase one of the NWO financial master plan, the Euro is phase two. It's a stepping stone for the elimination of hard currency in exchange to electronic currency that is fully controlled by governments and banking institutions.

What better way to fight this than coming up with a completely alterntive system? This is financial war we're talking about.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Can you explain how anonymous is apart of this ?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sounds cool, I can't see it taking off though, there will always be doubts about its viability, or if it could be hacked

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If at the end of the day it breaks the dollar, fine.
If at the end of the day it fixes the dollar, fine.

Whatever the outcome, as long as it puts an end to the status quo, so be it and I will play along either way.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So are they planning on feeding people bitcookies and bitbread? How would this even work with typical day to day functions.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Here is a link that I think explains it fairly well....I am not too sure what to think at the moment....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Oberlin

Sounds like TPTB are trying to lure people into using electronic currency.

TPRB is KNOWN for setting up "the opposition" to lure in and control the activists. Food & Water Watch and Organic Consumers Assoc. are an example of a Rockefeller funded "controlled opposition" that place support behind the ag cartel's Food law to get it passed.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
These are the ideas that we need. Regardless of whether or not this is a viable or positive option. We have to start pressuring all mega banks on their balance sheets. We must pull all our deposits from BOA, JP Morgan, Chase, Citibank. People always think you have to keep cash under your bed or something. Not true. A good start is simply moving to a small local credit union or small locally owned bank. You'd be surprised that they offer near the same rates and amenities. So you have to use an envelope to deposit at an ATM....boo hoo.

The key to winning the overall battle against TPTB is to find ways to exit their world. Economically, socially, emotionally, and physically if you have the means.

This is a challenge to any ATSers out there who are still giving their money to the banking elite. MAN UP!! Stop complaining about it and start taking small steps that if done cumulatively can bring about peaceful change.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I like the idea especially the "can't be seized" part or "even if banned" we'll see how this develop , i salute their efforts.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Trading at $18 today, someone sees value in them.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bonified Ween
So are they planning on feeding people bitcookies and bitbread? How would this even work with typical day to day functions.

Do you even understand how currencies work?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
if this was part of a forex it would be a good earner. its hard to get bitcoins tho; and even harder to create a personal bank on usb if you are only proficient with guis. the only issue i have with bitcoins is that to me they loose their perceived value and security if they are not exchanged for currency. they just seem insecure if all the keys are attached to a good on the receiving end.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

I think it will be alot easier very soon once it gains a little more traction. Mt. Gox is ok but it is a pain I understand. I found a person on the bitcoin forums that sold me some bitcoins. I was also scammed out of 100 bucks by a person on those forums so be careful. Many are weary of Paypal since someone can cancel their order after receiving your coins. Even though I don't quite understand it, there are "p2p exchanges" that will be opening up.. apps and stuff, where each person is their own exchange or something. Decentralizing is their top priority.

Another cool site is BTCnearme.com you type in your zipcode and it shows you all the people around you looking to buy and sell with their email addresses. As it becomes more popular, they will be exchanged more in person and that will be nice.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Screw the bankers, online or off!
I'm going back to the barter system!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go trade this cow and these two chickens for a sports car.

top topics

join