It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaders reach Patriot Act deal

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I can't help but think this is somewhat of a win?

Absolutely it is, depending on which side of the law you're on.

I'm sure Charlie Sheen would agree.

In 4 years or less, expect a major overhaul of the Patriot Act, which will likely include revisions and expanded domestic powers.

This is one of those beasts that if you choose to fight it, you will only make it stronger.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Leaders reach Patriot Act deal

www.politico.com

Top lawmakers in the House and Senate reached a deal to extend the Patriot Act for four years, a week before key provisions were set to expire.

Top lawmakers in the House and Senate reached a deal to extend the Patriot Act for four years, a week before key provisions were set to expire.

The pieces of the law that allow the federal government to compel businesses to release records, issue roving wiretaps, and monitor so-called “lone wolf” terror suspects were set to run out on May 27.
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is nonsense! I want our freedoms restored! This policed state crap is a bunch of B/S!!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I can't help but feel gravely disappointed by this. I've looked for reasons why any Tea Party rep would vote for this.

“Today’s vote was for a ten-month extension of three provisions that would have expired later this month. These provisions maintain the flexibility that our intelligence community needs to monitor terror suspects and protect our country against international terrorism. As a mother of five and a foster mother to 23 children, I voted for these authorities so that our laws keep pace with the evolving threats posed by terrorists.” [link to bachmann.house.gov]

Nice, ma'am, but who defines "terror suspects"? Are they returning vets? People who own guns? People who own flags?
I think we'd all agree that terrorists are ones that bomb/kill/shoot innocent people. But as terror-suspects evolve, so are the laws?

The way I read this, as terrorists use our freedoms against us, they (lawmakers in DC) will remove our freedoms to disable the terrorists.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealJayZ
Congressional Website

Go to the link above and enter your zip code in the bar at top that reads "find you representative" Call them. Tell them to vote no. Hang up. Call back. Ask to speak to an aide. The retarded staffers that answer the phones are simply a procedural buffer between the people and their representative. As long as you don't ask for an aide, you can be certain your message is going in the trash, with the yuppie in trainings tofu lunch.

We must make an effort on this one people.
edit on 5/19/11 by TheRealJayZ because: (no reason given)

I agree to this whole heartedly and urge many to follow suit.
Another thing that needs to be done unless that is you want another voting fiasco like with Bush Jr and even 2008/2010. We need to get rid of electronic voting machines as they are too easy to cheat. Need to do this right away and if my memory serves me correct didn't SEIU workers make the electronic voting machines. I am going to check on this some more.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I apologize for the shameless plug, but I called this over two weeks ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I guess they didn't need the false flag attack to get what they wanted
edit on 19-5-2011 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hah, I knew it. It's not gonna stop there, already isn't
Reaching a deal and enacted by the same people who do not read what they are putting into act; "we only know what a bill means when it's signed into act."
Sad, most Americans do not know of this and may believe in it...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
For what it's worth, I just sent a quick email to my Rep. telling him to vote no to the extension of the UN-Constitutional, (UN)Patriot(IC) Act. I informed him I would be checking how he voted and would be passing that information on to others--pro-Barletta if he voted no, anti-Barletta if he voted yes.

I reminded him that the last batch of new Congress people were elected with the expectation they would follow the Constitution...

I have noticed the sneaky didoes some of them pull from time-to-time. (I do love that about C-Span). They will wait until the last minute to vote...seeing that whatever putrid hated bill is being voted on has already passed, then they can vote against it and act like they care what their constituents think...but when necessary, they will vote against what The People want if that's the only way a bill can get enough traction to pass...

The corruption nauseates me...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Don't like it.

vote in 435 people who will do away with it.

Amazing how many reelect the same fools and expect different results.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I wonder what excuse Obama supporters are gonna find to justify this...

This "deal" so far involves 2 Republican members and one Democratic member of Congress. Obama supporters don't justify what John Boehner and Mitch McConnell do.
What makes you think Obama supporters agree with 100% of what Obama does anyway, and would try to justify this? This has always been one of the issues I strongly disagree with Obama on and I think it's literally a crime that this Act is in existence, much less keeps getting extended. I'm sure some people agree with it, but the idea that all Obama supporters do is just not true.

reply to post by getreadyalready

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Not even Ron Paul thinks one man, even a President, can do it alone.

Well, duh! It's interesting that people have been expecting Obama to do it alone and blaming him because he can't. Everything that happens in government gets blamed on Obama. So, now Ron is realizing just how powerless a president is and warning his peeps that even if he gets elected, he's not going to be able to provide change we can believe in.

Change takes time. Obama said the same things that Paul said. He said he would need our help to pressure our legislators... But all people do is sit around and criticize him for not having done it alone. It would be the same with Ron Paul. I actually hope he wins, if only to show his supporters that he's the same as any other man and not the savior this country needs.

(This all sounds so familiar...)

But at least we would have an ally at the helm instead of a puppet. Ron Paul would "allow" the change to happen, while most politicians buck against it.

Seriously, you tell yourself that now, but wait till he gets behind the curtain and we'll see how much change comes out of Washington. Ron Paul would be as much of a puppet as any other president. He's just one man. The idea that the president is some sort of king or magician who waves a wand and change happens is fanciful and unrealistic. Ron Paul will be no more able to bring about his promised change than Obama has been.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Seriously, you tell yourself that now, but wait till he gets behind the curtain and we'll see how much change comes out of Washington. Ron Paul would be as much of a puppet as any other president. He's just one man. The idea that the president is some sort of king or magician who waves a wand and change happens is fanciful and unrealistic. Ron Paul will be no more able to bring about his promised change than Obama has been.

Actually it would be a good thing if Ron Paul won, because within two years in office the same people will be saying the same things about him... Where's the change? Has Ron Paul forgotten us? Ron Paul has sold out to the corporate elite and the banks, Ron Paul is the Antichrist, Ron Paul attacks Iran, Ron Paul signs new 10 trillion dollar bailout for the corporate elite... Ron Paul is not an American and should be thrown out of office, Ron Paul is.....

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Amazing how many reelect the same fools and expect different results.

You nailed it right there. CONGRESS passes these extensions, not the President. Of course, the President signs them, so he is far from doing the right thing here, but Congress is what starts it.

Boehner, McConnell, Kantor etc are obviously nothing more or less than corporate lap dogs, and dirty ones at that, but people keep electing them every two years (yes yes, 6 for McConnell) and expect something different from them?

I don't even blame the likes of Boehner and Co anymore... they are lap dogs and they have been bought and trained and it is easy to know ahead of time what they are going to do in any given situation - lick their coporate masters' hands (and stuff) and pee on the "little people".

So when people elect them, they (people) have no excuse for not knowing exactly what they are setting themselves up for.

Obama is failing badly on this issue. But he is FAR from the only guilty party. The Board of Directors of the US Gov't need to take a good look at what they are putting into office. The computer world has a good term for this:

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. Boehner, Kantor, etc in, garbage out.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Ok first im not from America so dont rag on me too bad if im wrong on this info, but i thought the Lawmakers were there to protect the constitution? To protect the population from total government control? I guess i was wrong about that.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

Heh... yeah, that is their job. They are failing miserably. We are stuck with this sham of a "two party" system here. The Democrats are terrible at governing. The Republicans are worse.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I can't help but feel gravely disappointed by this. I've looked for reasons why any Tea Party rep would vote for this.

“Today’s vote was for a ten-month extension of three provisions that would have expired later this month. These provisions maintain the flexibility that our intelligence community needs to monitor terror suspects and protect our country against international terrorism. As a mother of five and a foster mother to 23 children, I voted for these authorities so that our laws keep pace with the evolving threats posed by terrorists.” [link to bachmann.house.gov]

Nice, ma'am, but who defines "terror suspects"? Are they returning vets? People who own guns? People who own flags?
I think we'd all agree that terrorists are ones that bomb/kill/shoot innocent people. But as terror-suspects evolve, so are the laws?

The way I read this, as terrorists use our freedoms against us, they (lawmakers in DC) will remove our freedoms to disable the terrorists.

Do you really believe the Tea Party are any different? Seriously why would you think that? The Tea Party are just the Koch Brothers political platform, disguised as a grass roots up-swell, they are just another tool of another elitist family.

But the Tea Party movement, which is threatening to cause an upset in next month's midterm elections, would not be where it is today without the backing of that most traditional of US political supporters – Big Oil.

But organisations tracking money in politics say the Kochs' biggest impact in the midterm elections will be from funding and providing logistical support to such groups as Americans for Prosperity (AFP), one of the biggest Tea Party groups. AFP, in turn, has spun off other organisations such as November is Coming, Hands Off My Healthcare, and the Institute of Liberty, which are buying up television ads and holding rallies across the country in an attempt to defeat Democrats.

Until last summer, most Americans had no idea who the Koch brothers were, and it is very likely that even AFP members did not know they were bankrolled by one of the richest men in corporate America. But a spate of attention – sparked by a Greenpeace investigation and a profile in the New Yorker – has given the Kochs a degree of notoriety they are finding it difficult to live with.

Source

The Republican vote, the democratic vote and the tea party vote are all well and truly bought, it is a sad but inevitable state of affairs, money talks and politicians are corrupt, doesn't matter which side of the fence you are on.

Americans seem to be putting their hopes on Ron Paul, but I very much doubt he will get the republican nomination, and even if by a miracle he did, and got elected, the moment he tried to change things he would wind up like JFK

The same is here in the UK, lots of puppets just one puppet master, the world is corrupt and and corporations are taking over

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaycen420
Ok first im not from America so dont rag on me too bad if im wrong on this info, but i thought the Lawmakers were there to protect the constitution? To protect the population from total government control? I guess i was wrong about that.

Government's role has forever changed, top priority is to grow government, and government powers over the states, the people, even the world, and to find every way possible to circumvent the constitution... They aren't there to protect it, they are there to find ways around it.

Take a copy of the US constitution to Washington, and try to use it to fight them, and watch how quickly constitutional lawyers are brought in to fight against it, not to protect it.

If they had their way it would be forever classified as an old irrelevant (obsolete) historical document ONLY, and draft a new constitution that is more current, better reflects the current times, and gives the US government the supreme powers they need without having the common people and states interfering with their agendas.

edit on 20-5-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ya its two a party Dictatorship down there it seems, Is Ron Paul selling out by going with a Republican ticket? Or is he just doing whatever it takes to get his foot in the door? I dont know but i feel that the 2012 Election is going to be huge. Planet changing. I just have a bad feeling about the times ahead. I think we are in for a heap of trouble. Now with the NAU and NAFTA even living up here in Canada we are not safe from those troubled times. Something needs to be done soon or we wont have another chance.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The whole thing just sickens me to the core. To be honest, I don't think voting current memebers out in order to correct the problem would work. Just look how well it's turned out thus far with the big turn over last September.

What I would dearly love to see is someone within the US with the big bucks needed team up with a really good Constitutional lawyer to bring this before the Supreme Court to challenge it's legality and see what happens. If we can't vote the change into happening perhaps this more direct approach is needed. Their decision would be all the citizens needed in order to know exactly where we stand (as if we don't already). If they ruled it as unconstitutional, then we know we have a chance at changing this. If they ruled it constitutional well then we should all take notice to get ready and perhaps then it would open more people's eyes as to what is really going on here.

Will this ever happen? No, it won't and I know that. But it's nice to have a dream........

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
The whole thing just sickens me to the core. To be honest, I don't think voting current memebers out in order to correct the problem would work. Just look how well it's turned out thus far with the big turn over last September.

The last time American people were the subjects of this level of supreme law, restrictions, regulations, taxation and tyranny there was only one solution.

Ah, but that can never happen in these times, best we can do is bitch about it, convince ourselves that our votes matter, that our reps really do listen to us, and represent us... And simply learn to accept the things we cannot change.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
To be honest, I don't think voting current memebers out in order to correct the problem would work. Just look how well it's turned out thus far with the big turn over last September.

But that's the problem. There wasn't a big turnover last Sept. Or November. Sure, some Democrats got voted out, but standard politicos got voted in. In our area, a one-term Democratic Representative was voted out, he lost to the guy he had beat two years earlier. So there was no change at all.

Boehner is still there. Kantor. Bachman. Pelosi. The list goes on and on. There was no big turnover. Therein lies the problem.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
... The only way that the badly named "Patriot Act" will go away is if RON PAUL wins in 2012. Anything short of that and we have no hope at all...

Obama didn't enact this by himself! He signed it after a couple hundred OTHER PEOPLE approved it.

Even Ron Paul could only do so much when Congress is so bat-poop crazy.

If only people paid as much attention to their Congresspeople as they do their president...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join