It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing Admits to 'Urgent' Problems with Three Gorges Dam

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
What are you smoking? Seriously?
This thread is about the 3 Gorge Dam and how some of China's rapid infrastructure expansion is shabby. THERE IS NO pissing contest. The US didn't come up until you chose to post some half assed jab at the US here.

Calm yourself Slayer. I read your threads and posts. I know you aren't genuinely concerned with the Chinese people in the path of this dam.

Originally posted by jam321

For our "leaders" and their "foreign policy," then you've pretty much nailed it.

Is this hatred toward them working? I would imagine they love to be hated on. IMO, gives them that PR moment they crave.

My anger towards our "leaders" arises naturally from them invading so many foreign countries and killing innocent people, all for personal greed. It doesn't do anything per se. It's just the natural response.

But I'm not going to make that into a China vs. USA pissing contest like others here are trying to do, because we have our own infrastructure problems to worry about.

I agree about our own infrastructure. But this thread is about the Chinese dam.

Then yes, we agree that the dam isn't in the best shape.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Calm yourself Slayer. I read your threads and posts. I know you aren't genuinely concerned with the Chinese people in the path of this dam.

ASSume much?

I am worried about the people. You may feel a holier than thou attitude and make assumptions about what and how I feel and or think. You've been trolling me for some time now, from thread to thread. Which is fine. I on the other hand have better things to do and read and eat and stuff like jab bamboo shoots up under my finger nails and wash the cat and stuff.

So in other words TROLL away

Cracks open bottle of Johnny Red

edit on 19-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

ASSume much?

Oh, you put the "ass" in caps, now that's clever.

Why is it so hard for me to reconcile the idea that, someone who seems obsessed with militaries and weapons that are designed to kill many, many people, would actually care about a dam in China failing and flooding peoples homes and businesses? Especially when this same individual has been engaging in US vs. China/Russia/etc. military-related pissing contests in other threads, entertaining nuclear stand-offs, etc.?

Anyway, yes, there are likely some serious problems with that dam. There are also serious problems with the infrastructure back home. Here in Virginia (your native Langley I presume?
) there are lots of bridges that have very poor ratings, receiving less than 10 out of a possible 100, many of those without any planned upgrades. One of them in the town where I grew up could literally collapse at any moment.

Something most people don't understand about the infrastructure in the US. A lot of it was built from the 1930s-1950s, as part of the economic stimulus to recover from the Great Depression. A lot of that stuff is very old and in need of repair, and yet there are no funds for it. Give it another 10 or 20 years and bridge collapses in the US will be an everyday occurrence if something is not done soon.

That means something like this on the news every week:

edit on 19-5-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

reply to post by Tayesin

I know what you mean. While reading this I had visions of the Japanese tsunami all over again.
Let's hope this doesn't become the case. Cracks in nearby fields doesn't sound that good. I'm no geologist or engineer but that sounds like to me that the surrounding area is under a tremendous amount of stress

edit on 19-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

The Japanese Tsunami was under 30 feet.

The current water level behind the dam is 360 feet higher than downstream.

What this would do would be worse than the 1998 flood of that river.

1998 Yangtze floods

I think many thousands would die and 10's of millions would be homeless.

They need to set aside their pride and get the best ppl to look at this ASAP.

That area is not exactly geologically stable either, a bad recipe indeed.

Two hazards are uniquely identified with the dam.[54] One is that sedimentation projections are not agreed upon, and the other is that the dam sits on a seismic fault. At current levels, 80% of the land in the area is experiencing erosion, depositing about 40 million tons of sediment into the Yangtze annually.[55]

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Like a lot of us here on ATS we do not have issues with the common good working
folks of any country who love family and life.

We have "issues" with the psychopaths running most of the countries of the world.

Most of what slayer posts are to sound a warning and to inform ppl that bad
things are brewing and by shedding light on the issue it might get resolved
peacefully.

He may lose his cool with some countries actions, but he is not against the common
good hard working folk who just want a home and a family.

I think that goes for most of us.

If you got some personal issues with Slayer do battle off the site instead of
filling threads with personal vendetta.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Now this is a story im in to. The enormous size of the dam would have a profound effect if it were to give.

Good job Slay, i'll be following this one closely.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I will say bsbray11, your negativity of late is becoming more pronounced. Where is all of this steming from??

Does somebody need a hug ?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
I will say bsbray11, your negativity of late is becoming more pronounced. Where is all of this steming from??

Does somebody need a hug ?

You really have me wondering. Where is all this negativity you perceive?

You might perceive it as negativity for your own personal reasons but I'm actually excited. A new day is just breaking. All of this stuff with China in the news recently, is because they are not only refusing to follow Washington's orders now, but they are pressuring Western secret societies and have good means to defend themselves now.

This guy will clue you in to what's really going on behind the scenes and why all these DoD-type military guys have run to internet message boards scared, because our leaders know China is not another Iraq or Afghanistan. And our leaders' time harboring liars, murderers and cowards is almost up. I for one will be glad to see them go. They'll have no support on the home front from me.

edit on 20-5-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Fair call. I watched the informative vid, but its not like you to stereotype people. Slay may be an ex soldier but his morals are A1.
I hear what you are saying though, i have a few current and ex-military mates who are very different and half do not possess the "jughead" "kill all" attitude.For me to stereotype them collectivly would be a problem on my behalf.
In saying all this, keep up the good work, and keep that open mind from 2005 .

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

-----Thread Update-----

Polllution, geologic woes plague huge dam in China

BEIJING • The Three Gorges dam, the world's largest hydroelectric project and a symbol of China's confidence in risky technological solutions, is troubled by urgent pollution and geologic problems, a high-level government body acknowledged Thursday.

But critics say the sheer weight of water backed up in the 410-mile-long reservoir behind the dam has increased the danger of earthquakes and landslides. The government has acknowledged that risk but denied that the project played any role in China's powerful May 2008 quake in Sichuan province, in which at least 87,000 people died.

Environmentalists also say the gigantic lake behind the dam has become a repository for the pollution from cities and industries that dump waste into the water.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
I hear what you are saying though, i have a few current and ex-military mates who are very different and half do not possess the "jughead" "kill all" attitude.For me to stereotype them collectivly would be a problem on my behalf.

I don't automatically stereotype all US forces. I have buddies in the Air Force in the same boat, stationed in Louisiana. And though their duty doesn't call for it, they're plenty informed of the kinds of issues we like to discuss here on ATS. That's one more reason why I take what Benjamin Fulford is saying very seriously. I have no doubt that many people are indeed coming to him from the US military and other institutions willing to cooperate with what he represents.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
There is a Maori Prophecy that some think relates to the Three Gorges Dam.

I don't neccessarily believe it but I recalled it when you started your thread.

With all the stuff going down now it does make you think.

edit on 20/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It does make you wonder if they are releasing the "true nature" of the urgency or not; is it actually worse then what they have said? Would not doubt it...

I'm thinking in the other direction. There's nothing wrong with the dam and this is all pre-fabricated B.S. That will serve when they blow the damn to purposelly wipe out one to two million people as a part of depopulation.
That's the way my head works nowadays. Through no fault of my own I might add.

edit on 20-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

FnS

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Excellent find, Slayer! In My humble opinion, I suspect it's not a matter of IF the dam will disintegrate - it's a matter of WHEN.

I sincerely doubt that China will be able to "shore up" the dam to any extent that will make it safe. Maybe put off the disaster - but not eliminate it. As many have said... One good earthquake...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

reply to post by On the level

What exactly do they mean by...?

Without going into specifics, the State Council also said it planned to improve efforts to control water pollution and address the danger from geological disasters.

Maybe some of our more subject savvy members could shed some light on what exactly that means.

Slayer I read somewhere that large dams create enough pressure to cause earthquakes...including one article that mentioned 3 gorges as a possible catalyst

however while I search for that here's a good article
www.telegraph.co.uk...

a snippet from that article

The 511ft-high Zipingpu dam holds 315 million tonnes of water and lies just 550 yards from the fault line, and three miles from the epicentre, of the Sichuan earthquake.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
and another article on a blog that if true, concludes the speculation

katabasis.cementhorizon.com...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thanks Slayer

Researched this much at the time of construction, has gone of my radar for a couple of years.

Slayer is right about the dangers.

Appart from any threads on War, Approaching Celestial Objects, Volcanoes/Earthquakes the dam if it totally failed ie in an earthquake would have global far reaching and generational effects on all those alive now in many many ways.

This is one of the "true" risks with an actual potential to happen on odds that are probably much less than other worldwide events/threats many on ATS often obsess about.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
they learnt nothing!
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Lets hope this dam doesn't break looks like Millions could die if it does break take a look at the diagram i have laid out and the areas at risk if the dam fails. Tens of millions live in the down stream watershed area.
Yangtze River Basin
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1777897dc0e.gif[/atsimg]
Border Signifies Down Stream Flow and Water shed down Stream of the Dam where 10's of millions live
Population Density
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8c9a415bd335.jpg[/atsimg]
The Green Area i highlighted Shows the Entire Water Shed and Area that could be affected Down Stream of the Yangtze Super Dam! While the Blue line in the middle shows the actual Rivers path SCARY!

You better give me some stars for this you guys it took me a half hour to find these and draw the areas that could be affected if the damn breaks based on the data from the Yangtze River Basin DownStream its a rough estimate since i hand drew it with Paint on Infrared but it still Crazy tens of millions in the path way. It will be the worst disaster ever probably!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18705ea0e09e.jpg[/atsimg]The black line shows the areas that could be affected by massive flooding if the Dam Fails.With huge major Cities in the path and tens of millions in the Water Shed Down Stream. The Blue line again represents the River main River( The Areas most at risk)

edit on 20-5-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

Thanks for posting that.
I dunno..

The more I look into this the more I'm wondering what were they thinking?
Why there in that exact location? Surely there were less dangerous locations they could have chosen?

edit on 20-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join