It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Earthquake: New Study - never before seen anomalies... HAARP or just better sensors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This study published today, 19May11, in Science shows unique earthquake attributes.
SOURCE: 2011 9.0 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake: Surprising Findings About Energy Distribution Over the Fault Slip and Stress Accumulation in Japan Trench

Mark Simons, professor of geophysics at Caltech's Seismological Laboratory and lead author of the study... says one of the most interesting findings of the data analysis was the spatial compactness of the event. The megathrust earthquake occurred at a subduction zone where the Pacific Plate dips below Japan. The length of fault that experienced significant slip during the Tohoku-Oki earthquake was about 250 kilometers, about half of what would be conventionally expected for an event of this magnitude.

Furthermore, the area where the fault slipped the most -- 30 meters or more -- happened within a 50- to 100-kilometer-long segment. "This is not something we have documented before," says Simons. "I'm sure it has happened in the past, but technology has advanced only in the past 10 to 15 years to the point where we can measure these slips much more accurately through GPS and other data."

(emphasis added)

Could the compactness and small radius prove HAARP or some technology was somehow involved? or is this simply the first time our recent technology has used high-focus GPS on a mega-thrust quake?

edit on 19-5-2011 by Thermo Klein because: added link

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is also interesting...

High frequency waves were focused closer to the shore than where the earthquake happened...

For Jean Paul Ampuero, assistant professor of seismology at Caltech's Seismological Laboratory who studies earthquake dynamics, the most significant finding was that high- and low-frequency seismic waves can come from different areas of a fault. "The high-frequency seismic waves in the Tohoku earthquake were generated much closer to the coast, away from the area of the slip where we saw low-frequency waves," he says

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

The Japanese earthquake & tsunami were terrible natural disasters of the type that have existed all through history.

The Japanese even had "tsunami tide" markers, some hundreds of years old, placed throughout the countryside which said basically "you'd be a fool to build below this point".

We don't even have any theoretical technologies that can create earthquakes which would not reveal themselves by the enourmous release of energy (nuclear and conventional explosives).

We can't cause them and there is no motivation to destabilize the economies of the world by taking out a country that survives by alliances with just about everyone else.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Did you bother to read the Science article before spreading your "knowledge"??

there are anomalies concerning this quake that we've never seen before... it was compacted into half the expected distance along a faultline.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

Did you bother to read the Science article before spreading your "knowledge"??

there are anomalies concerning this quake that we've never seen before... it was compacted into half the expected distance along a faultline.

The article said that the reasearchers had theorised that a submerged mountain range at the subduction zone had locked the plates together and caused the stresses to build up unusually high in a small region. When this "broke" it released a larger than usual quake.

The article infers that compactness of the area of high slippage was due to the extra hardness of the area that locked together the plates that were applying the pressure.

The article also said that there were 10 times more near fault sensors than any other previous quake, so that answers your headline.

My previous post was replying to the suggestion that we have technologies that could cause quakes.

I did read the article.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
The article said that the reasearchers had theorised that a submerged mountain range at the subduction zone had locked the plates together and caused the stresses to build up unusually high in a small region. When this "broke" it released a larger than usual quake.

The article infers that compactness of the area of high slippage was due to the extra hardness of the area that locked together the plates that were applying the pressure.

would you consider adding a direct quote on this? I didn't get that from the article...
granted I have a three year old climbing over me while reading so I could have missed it

Here's what I came away with:

it was believed that the relatively soft material of the seafloor would not support a large amount of stress. "The amount of strain associated with this large displacement is nearly five to 10 times larger than we normally see in large megathrust earthquakes," he notes. "It has been generally thought that rocks near the Japan Trench could not accommodate such a large elastic strain."

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hey Thermo, great post!

I imagine that you may get "debunked" by a few people here who fancy themselves to know about as much as geologists, but I support the nature of the data you present here, and your daring to wonder what it all means.

The argument you usually will hear from debunkers here at ATS and elsewhere is that HAARP simply cannot target locations with its waves. It takes 3 Arrays to target locations, and HAARP supposedly has only 2. Well, that just isn't so. There are believed to be 3 Arrays in Alaska. Then of course there are the 14 other known HAARP/EISCAT facilities in existence around the world - (and that's a documented fact, by the way). This information comes from a release of documents gained from the Freedom of Information Act. HAARP itself admits to having performed a successful "Moon Bounce" experiment - And it takes not 1, not 2, but 3 Arrays to do a moon bounce.

Oh, and by the way, HAARP in Poker Flat has the capability of bouncing 3.5 BILLION watts of waves. That's just in Poker Flat! Gakona, Alaska HAARP has at least 1 Billion watts available. And the one that is likely at Clear AFB, well, who the heck knows? So imagine that much wave wattage bouncing off the Ionosphere and rebounding (slamming, really) back down into the earth. Now imagine that with 3 Arrays, this rebound of wave energy can target a specific location. It doesn't take much of a leap from there to figure out that indeed, HAARP theoretically could have caused the Japan earthquake (as well as others, including Chile and Haiti).

And don't even get me started on Severe Weather.

To see the article I reference (written by Guy Cramer) in its entirety, you can go here and access it directly.

thetruthabout1111awakeningcode.blogspot.com...
edit on 5/19/2011 by Determinator because: forgot some info'

edit on 5/19/2011 by Determinator because: deletion

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

Originally posted by chr0naut

would you consider adding a direct quote on this? I didn't get that from the article...
granted I have a three year old climbing over me while reading so I could have missed it

Here's what I came away with:

it was believed that the relatively soft material of the seafloor would not support a large amount of stress. "The amount of strain associated with this large displacement is nearly five to 10 times larger than we normally see in large megathrust earthquakes," he notes. "It has been generally thought that rocks near the Japan Trench could not accommodate such a large elastic strain."

Gladly.

The researchers are still unsure why such a large strain was able to accumulate in this area. One possibility is that either the subducting seafloor or the upper plate (or both) have some unusual structures -- such as regions that were formerly underwater mountain ranges on the Pacific Plate -- that have now been consumed by the subduction zone and cause the plates to get stuck and build up stress.

"Because of this local strengthening -- whatever its cause -- the Pacific Plate and the Okhotsk Plate had been pinned together for a long time, probably 500 to 1000 years, and finally failed in this magnitude 9.0 event," says Kanamori. "Hopefully, detailed geophysical studies of seafloor structures will eventually clarify the mechanism of local strengthening in this area."

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

edit on 19-5-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

thanks mate, one of the many possibilities there.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Hmmm, timely post, given the weird situation with the (non) earthquake in Libya today...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Determinator

I agree with you bro, some 'debunkers' even say, Well how do they target certain areas ? (completely ignoring the fact that its stated in many places that they bounce it off the ionisphere) I've thought that they do this by sending the signal at the ionisphere, Then it would push the ionisphere outwards, then rebounding it inwards as you say, effectively *slamming* the signal into a given area.

i've heard it described like, if you play a note on an organ & you leave the sound to resonate constantly for ages, in a church, eventually the windows would start to shake, smash, and over a longer period of time the building would collapse as the energy builds. It coincides with the HAARP readings that show it was on for 30-40 hours emitting practically the same strength signal before any of the proposed EQ's it has caused.

top topics

join