It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Warns; Hack Us, And We Might Bomb You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

"States have an inherent right to self-defense that may be triggered by certain aggressive acts in cyberspace,” says the policy. Indeed, such aggressive acts might compel a country like the US to act even when the hacking is targeted at an allied country.

“Certain hostile acts conducted through cyberspace could compel actions under the commitments we have with our military treaty partners,” says the document. “When warranted, the United States will respond to hostile acts in cyberspace as we would any other threat to our country.”

Military force will only be used as a last resort after other diplomatic and economic remedies are attempted, but the US government has certainly realized the value of the Internet and has no intention of sitting quietly while corporate and governmental computer systems are attacked with impunity.

Source

Now the interesting question becomes: What constitutes cyber terrorism? With the definition of "terrorism" defining nearly anything that is alternative to the MSM, who will be defined as a terrorist?

Link to official document:

Source

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Pretty funny coming from the part creators of Stuxnet. I'm so sick of it. It isn't a democracy it is a hypocrisy and I can't wait to leave it behind me.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

well, ATS is full of terrorists then with some of the things I see put on this site! My gosh! Watch out people for now you are truly being watched! Oh wait, sorry you have been for a very long time now

Good ol' democracy eh?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Translation as follows:

"If you discover how we are #ing you over through hacking us, we'll # you up, again. "

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I say Hack em.

This is just more huff puff from yanks, they're renound for hot air and ego rages.

edit on 19-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.

Another bad sign of where our country is headed.

I do not like it at all.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So a lone Chinese kid hacker grab's some, let's say, a TSA Policy memo from a government server and Chinese military bases get attacked?....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So how easy would it be to commit a false flag attack now?

The Pentagon using a covert cyber-espionage unit "hacks" the Pentagon (or NASA, or the White House, etc,), and we can retaliate by bombing - oh I don't know, Iran? China? Venezuela? An oil-rich Arab country?

The possibilities are endless and no more flying planes into buildings to start a false-flag war! FTW.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
About God damn time they got serious about this.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
About God damn time they got serious about this.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

how about we just better secure our networks from hacks like this? aren't there supposed to be professionals out there that do this? i mean seriously

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

That’s good too, but it doesn’t matter how secure a network is someone will be able to get into it. Let them know the consequences for monkeying around a critical system (power, water, telecommunications, nuclear early warning networks, etcetera) could be terminal.

Your suggestion is like saying we dont need laws against tresspassing because people can buy fences and locks.
edit on 19-5-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

It may be cheaper to bomb someone than to try to stop a sophistocated attack.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
If a hacker is really good, they can make the hack look like it came from any country they want.

This could cause a lot of problems. It would be better for countries to be "unhackable".

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

what suggestion? that we protect our systems? seeing technology constantly getting better you'd think there is something that can be done to prevent things like this...

Never suggested no laws concerning this...but should a war seriously be justifiable because somebody say steals a file or 2? If it were a widespread attack sure then, but what would be considered an "attack"?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
When China hacks into our electrical grid and causes huge swaths of the US to be without power, the cries for "bomb China...they took our American Idol away" will be heard from every rooftop...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I am not going to get into a game of semantics over this .. you will know what an attack is when the air traffic control network is disabled and planes start crashing. And yes, someone steals a file or 2, if they are sensitive enough, you should blow their asses away. Would you feel justified in using lethal force if someone was breaking into your home to steal a TV or 2? I would.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

If a hacker is really good, they can make the hack look like it came from any country they want

Bingo.
This is just another "war on terror" A.K.A Another excuse to try to occupy/murder/pillage every country we can to help bring in a NWO that will save us from ....um....us?

ETA: Oh yeah and a good reason to have there internet kill-switch/Net ID's lets not forget.
edit on 5/19/2011 by GunzCoty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The last couple of hacking jobs that we've heard about, no one could tell, without a shadow of a doubt, where the hacker was from.

Canada's records were hacked into a few months ago, it LOOKED like it was from China, but they didn't know for sure that it was. Nothing vital was seen, they were able to shut it down fast enough.

blogs.marketwatch.com...

But Thursday, the CBC reported that a third government agency, Defence Research and Development Canada, a civilian arm of Canada’s Department of National Defence, had also been penetrated by China-based hackers. The Chinese government insisted it had no connection with the cyber attacks.

Canadian officials were quick to point out that there is no apparent link to that government. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said, “China attaches great importance to computer security and consistently opposes and cracks down on hacking activities according to relative laws and regulations.”

Canada has relatively good relations with China, and just because it was from their servers, it could have routed from anywhere in the world.

I hope before there is retaliation on hackers, they better be absolutely sure who it is.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I think the US government is wising up to the fact that wikileaks(the original one) and Anon(the real one) may be
in filtrated by chinese,russian and maybe north korean proxies.

I guess the cold war never ended and US, china, and russia are still spying on each other.

top topics

join