It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Life After Death

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Today I found out that a classmate of one of my sisters was hit by a semi. Hearing this broke my heart. I got to thinking about life and death and life after death. I came up with one question I thought I'd already figured out an answer to.

If there is life after death, not matter what you believe whether it is heaven or hell. Reincarnation, or eternal peace. What ever the case. Why do we hurt so much when someone leaves this world?

I used to think that the answer was because humans are essentially selfish creatures. We cry and we hurt becasue we want our loved ones with us no matter if they are going to a better place or not.

After hearing about this young man who was taken from the world so quickly, I cried for him and for his family and friends. I have never met him before but it still hurt me. Which made me think deeper about that question.
I did not know this guy so why does it hurt me so much?

I thought at first maybe it was the pain that his family and friends are feeling right now that caused this pain in me and I suppose that could be the case. But I'm not so sure. Another light has gone out in this world. I have no idea why this particular incident caused this thought process.

I read about people dying everyday, and yes that hurts me too. It is a part of life and I understand this. But they never affected me like this one has. The illusion that I held on to of the pain of losing someone has shattered. I can no longer think it is because of our selfishness that causes this pain.

So I ask you, Why does it hurt so much when someone dies if there truly is something after this life here on earth? Would we not rejoice for them if this is the case? And not just saying "they are in a better place now" but truly feel it with every fiber of our being?
edit on 19-5-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)




posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I don't think we stictly get upset and cry because we are selfish and want to have them back with us in this world...

It's the fact the victim can no longer experience this place together.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
We get upset because it's unknown, no ones ever came back to say it's great up here or a little warm down there. Just the fear of the unknown. The sadness comes from not truly knowing where your loved one goes and whether you will ever see them again.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucantcme
I did not know this guy so why does it hurt me so much?


Because of empathy. While it gives us great things such as morality and generosity, it also can be a source of sadness at the loss of others... even those we don't know.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme
 


I do not want to be a bummer in this thread, but I do believe that people feel such sorrow for those who suddenly pass because it forces one to come to terms with their own mortality. I think most people understand, if not explicitly then implicitly, that there is probably no life after death. When an individual dies so randomly, like in an auto accident, or a sudden heart attack, etc., it makes one realize that nobody beats their odds.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It's always a shocking experience when someone you know dies, especially someone so young. last year, this May 20th, my friend was killed on the highway en route to his university which he was visiting, one week before prom. THe shock that was, not only on me, but on the whole school, and least to say his family. I doubt his dad will ever forgive himself for the tragic accident that cost him his son's life (He was the one driving the car, apparently he lost control (which is even weirder, because his profession was involved driving all day on a regular basis) and swerved over to the opposite lane.

But I'll never forget what one of my friends said about the situation: "Now Colin knows what it's like to be dead". He was a Catholic (although his family wasn't) so I guess know he knows how truthful the Bible is. But, I'm not going to pretend to know that there's life after death, if you think of how long the universe has been around and how big it is, and how short your life is (literally like a blink of an eye in the lifespan of the universe) do you really think that this is it?



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Just my opinion...

I think the reason we suffer so much is to appreciate.

How can we truly understand eternal life if we have not experienced death.

Only feeling this pain can make you truly understand God's amazing gift.

I am very sorry for your loss.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere
 




Only feeling this pain can make you truly understand God's amazing gift.


I do not want to make this an atheist vs. theist debate, however when one finds it appropriate to mention god's great gift and pain in the same sentence, I must intervene.

Are you suggesting that one who is born with AIDS in Africa, in constant and suffering, is experiencing this in order to greater appreciate God's amazing gift of salvation and everlasting life? What about those who are born here in America with Cancer, living a life where they experience pain on a daily basis only to pass away before they can turn 10? Is this part of God's amazing gift? How do you expect to be taken morally or ethically serious when you make such a ridiculous comment?

People suffer because suffering is an unfortunate part of the human experience. There is no reason that one dies young, or old, or in the womb, or after birth. We die because we die. We experience pain when one dies for MANY reasons, countless reasons in fact, one of which is a result of having to come to terms with the fact that we will all die someday, and there is nothing we can do about it.

The sooner we grow up to this fact, the better.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme
 


Because we miss their energies in this 3d plane. But if were fully awakened would know they went somewhere better, hopefully depending on their intents...



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I don't think we stictly get upset and cry because we are selfish and want to have them back with us in this world...

It's the fact the victim can no longer experience this place together.


Which is being selfish if you think about it. This relates to loved ones that we personally know when they die.
For a complete stranger as in my op I think that is a good answer. Maybe I hurt for him because he can no longer experience this place. Thank you for the reply!



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
We get upset because it's unknown, no ones ever came back to say it's great up here or a little warm down there. Just the fear of the unknown. The sadness comes from not truly knowing where your loved one goes and whether you will ever see them again.


This is another way that I used to think before I can to terms with life and death. I no longer fear death its self. But your right that I still fear the unknown. Death is not unknown, what happens after is.

I will quote one of my favorites from JK Rowlings Harry Potter

"It is the unknown that we fear when we look upon death and darkness. Nothing more" ~P. AWBD~



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by ucantcme
I did not know this guy so why does it hurt me so much?


Because of empathy. While it gives us great things such as morality and generosity, it also can be a source of sadness at the loss of others... even those we don't know.


Yes, empathy truly is a blessing and a curse. However I would prefer it to apathy even with all the pain it brings. I would rather hurt than not feel anything at all.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Judge_Holden
reply to post by ucantcme
 


I do not want to be a bummer in this thread, but I do believe that people feel such sorrow for those who suddenly pass because it forces one to come to terms with their own mortality. I think most people understand, if not explicitly then implicitly, that there is probably no life after death. When an individual dies so randomly, like in an auto accident, or a sudden heart attack, etc., it makes one realize that nobody beats their odds.


I understand where you are coming from with this. But that is not the case in my situation. I have already come to terms with my mortality. I will die one day and I do not fear it. I just can't help thinking about what comes after. If anything but I try not to think that nothing happens for my own peace of mind. If nothing happnes well its not like I would know anyway as I will be dead but if something does happen that would be great! Who wants to cease to exist?



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
It's always a shocking experience when someone you know dies, especially someone so young. last year, this May 20th, my friend was killed on the highway en route to his university which he was visiting, one week before prom. THe shock that was, not only on me, but on the whole school, and least to say his family. I doubt his dad will ever forgive himself for the tragic accident that cost him his son's life (He was the one driving the car, apparently he lost control (which is even weirder, because his profession was involved driving all day on a regular basis) and swerved over to the opposite lane.

But I'll never forget what one of my friends said about the situation: "Now Colin knows what it's like to be dead". He was a Catholic (although his family wasn't) so I guess know he knows how truthful the Bible is. But, I'm not going to pretend to know that there's life after death, if you think of how long the universe has been around and how big it is, and how short your life is (literally like a blink of an eye in the lifespan of the universe) do you really think that this is it?


First let me say I am sorry for your loss. Now to answer your question. I don't like to think this is it and looking at it in the way you said it seems like it couldn't possibly be it. But really we don't know, and wont untill we die ourselves and maybe not even then if nothing happens that is.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I would have to agree with mileslong54.
Simply that we do not know for 100% no matter one's beliefs of what is next, it is unknown.

And in the end the UNKNOWN awaits us all.
edit on 5/19/2011 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme
 




Who wants to cease to exist?


Well, at the current time, my guess would be nobody. However, put eternal life into perspective (and I will use a Christopher Hitchens analogy as my own example):

Imagine being at a party with a bunch of friends and family, enjoying the festivities, the company, and friendly conversation. Now, imagine somebody coming up to you, tapping you on the shoulder and saying "You must leave the party. The party will go on without you, but you are no longer welcome."

That is the fear of death that most logical people have; the fact that the party will go on without them, and they no longer get to participate. It is somewhat of a bothersome thought, as any atheist such as myself can concede.

However, imagine now that you are at a party, having a good time of it, and an individual comes up to you, taps you on the shoulder and says "The host demands that you stay at this party, and you have no choice in the matter. And, good news! It will be going on forever!"

Would this really be a fun thought? To be stuck in the same place for all eternity? Even if we imagine that life after death has near endless possibilities, we will inevitably experience them an infinite amount of times. Is this reassuring to you?



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Judge_Holden
 


I never argue about God....


If you can't understand my point...That's OK.

I realize it might be kind of deep.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Judge_Holden
reply to post by ucantcme
 




Who wants to cease to exist?

Even if we imagine that life after death has near endless possibilities, we will inevitably experience them an infinite amount of times. Is this reassuring to you?


That could be considered as a reassuring thought. It is just a possible as your party example. Or anything else for that matter.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme
 


I would say if we knew 100% that person was going to a better place, we would be happy and joyfull. But cause we weep and cry, it shows that we believe there is a chance, that they went to the wrong place of torture and eternal pain.

Remember, we arent here by mistake, we are here for a reason, ask, seek and you shall find, and the door shall be opened unto you. Matthew 7:7



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1
reply to post by ucantcme
 


I would say if we knew 100% that person was going to a better place, we would be happy and joyfull. But cause we weep and cry, it shows that we believe there is a chance, that they went to the wrong place of torture and eternal pain.

Remember, we arent here by mistake, we are here for a reason, ask, seek and you shall find, and the door shall be opened unto you. Matthew 7:7



Not trying to challenge your beliefs or anything this is just an honest question that applys to myself.

What happnens when you ask and seek and you do not find?

I have asked I am still seeking but I am not finding anything other than unless it is set in stone then we really know nothing. My personal perception please do not be offended.



new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join