It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit Claims AT&T Overcharges On Data Plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
IF you are an AT&T customer, especially with an iPhone or iPad, get ready to get onboard the class action lawsuit!!

Source.

Anyone out there checking their usage bills, who have seen this?

Pool your stories.......

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ok, so I am the first to say if you think they are over charging, leave and go somewhere better.
But, the title is kind of misleading.
It's not really that they are overcharging for a service, as they are rounding usage up, instead of leaving it level.
With this said, and if true, ATT should be ashamed. But, it may also be in the contract.
Buyer beware.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Can't just leave when you signed a contract with them sorry, otherwise they can charge you even more money that's the good ole times of contract service right there. But come on 10.00 bucks per second is reticulum.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I think "rounding up" is key, here!

See it all to often, and it is a cheating way, in my opinion, to steal a little bit there, a little bit here. Of course, business is business, as they say.

But, point was.....when the initial batch of iPhones came out, there was ONLY one service provider. A 'monopoly', it could be called. Of course, Verizon is now an option, but the damage has been done.

And, "rounding up" is ridiculous, in this age of such incredible technology ability, when they can measure to the microsecond, if they choose to....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

You can.
I did this with Sprint several years back.
The secret, call customer service from your phone. Average call is 40 minutes. Average pay of TIER I helpdesk support is $12-$15 an hour. Price for a 40 minutes call is on average $10. Always request to speak with a supervisor, Supervisor pay is about $18-$20 an hour. That call just cost ATT $50. Advised you will call 5 times a day, for a total of $250 a day.
They will drop you.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

That is a freaking great idea man star for you, thank you for the advice.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
at&t reamed me on BS charges for years, so I knew to steer clear when I heard the iphone was going with them first. also lost alot of respect for apple in the proccess to.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

You can.
The secret, call customer service from your phone. Average call is 40 minutes. Average pay of TIER I helpdesk support is $12-$15 an hour. Price for a 40 minutes call is on average $10. Always request to speak with a supervisor, Supervisor pay is about $18-$20 an hour. That call just cost ATT $50. Advised you will call 5 times a day, for a total of $250 a day.
They will drop you.

What did you talk about for 40 minutes 5 times a day?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

Originally posted by macman

You can.
They will drop you.

What did you talk about for 40 minutes 5 times a day?

Everything and anything. Complain about service, price. Talk about billing. Once you express that you will make them consume time with you are nonsense, they will offer to drop you. Be prepared to do this for about a week or so.
Also call during peak times. cal and place the phone down and walk away.

edit on 19-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

lmao at that...that's an awesome idea hahaha

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
AT&T are sneaky and corrupt bastards, I agree, and hope this brings a little justice to those of us that have been screwed by them.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
AT&T did something even more vile to me. My wife and I went to South America and left her BB here. I took mine. I did not have an Int'l plan. They charged me $20.00 per KB as a 'roaming' fee! They cut my service off after 7 days for "excessive use" I did not return to the USA for approx 4 more weeks. The next month they billed me $3000.00 for "usage"! I was flabbergasted, and quite angry. When I spoke to the AT&T Customer Service rep, they informed me that it WASN'T EVEN MY PHONE THAT INCURRED THE CHARGES!! They quoted me the SIM Chip ID number which belonged to my WIFES' BB. Which was in the USA the whole time! Needless to say, I fought with with them over the 'bills"-and basically told them i was leaving AT&T and to shove their bill up their a**--take me to court for the money. I felt as if they were robbing me, and they tried very hard to get the money from me. I had to fight with them for 2 months and had to get very defensive about all of it. I threaten Major legal action, and had documentation to prove that my wifes' phone NEVER left NYC; as we use the PORTA network when we go to S. America. I still owe them to this day. They're not getting ONE RED CENT from me/ EVER!!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SQDLDR
AT&T did something even more vile to me. My wife and I went to South America and left her BB here. I took mine. I did not have an Int'l plan. They charged me $20.00 per KB as a 'roaming' fee! They cut my service off after 7 days for "excessive use" I did not return to the USA for approx 4 more weeks. The next month they billed me $3000.00 for "usage"! I was flabbergasted, and quite angry. When I spoke to the AT&T Customer Service rep, they informed me that it WASN'T EVEN MY PHONE THAT INCURRED THE CHARGES!! They quoted me the SIM Chip ID number which belonged to my WIFES' BB. Which was in the USA the whole time! Needless to say, I fought with with them over the 'bills"-and basically told them i was leaving AT&T and to shove their bill up their a**--take me to court for the money. I felt as if they were robbing me, and they tried very hard to get the money from me. I had to fight with them for 2 months and had to get very defensive about all of it. I threaten Major legal action, and had documentation to prove that my wifes' phone NEVER left NYC; as we use the PORTA network when we go to S. America. I still owe them to this day. They're not getting ONE RED CENT from me/ EVER!!

I'm going to guess you had a "family" or similar "multiple phone" plan; you had more than one phone under a cooperative plan so you really have no recourse.

People doing stuff like this is why companies ream whomever they have the opportunity to do so to, and that people do this makes me nausated. You wouldn't accept people taking advantage of you but think that you can take advantage of a company.

I have to pay more for my service because people assume they can get something for nothing even after they agree otherwise. Please....

edit on 5/20/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Honestly don't see any merit to this lawsuit. AT&T rounds up for both voice and data charges for all it's customers. If you make a one second call it's rounded up to a minute. They bill by the min and the mb not the sec and the kb. This method of billing isn't hidden from customers. Read your contracts.

new topics

top topics

join