It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gettysburg ghosts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I just got back from Gettysburg and have to tell you about an interesting experience we had while there. My wife and I spent two days exploring the area, and really enjoyed ourselves. We stayed at a hotel just across from one of the battlefields (literally right across the street). The first night my wife went out to the car to get something and came back in and said there were two civil war reenactors sitting in the grass about 15ft from our door. I thought that was odd, at the least just interesting. I opened the door and saw in profile just one of the men (blue uniform as far as I could tell) and he was sitting on the ground. I didn't want to seem rude and stand and stare, I just looked, saw a person, and went back into the room. After about 2-3 minutes it dawned on me that although it wasn't raining, there was a very heavy fog, and the ground was very wet, just like there had been a slow and steady rain---why would they be sitting on the ground when there were covered areas nearby to visit? I went back out and there were gone. Ok, maybe they were reenactors , but it just didn't "feel" right. We contacted the owners of the hotel the next morning, and asked if any reenactors in town or staying there (I'm not going to to mention the hotel, because then it sounds like I'm trying to bring business to that place, and I'm not). They told us there were no reenactors and others had reported the same sighting, and in fact, during the war there had been an artillery battery on the property, and some guests had reported hearing the canons fired, some reported the windows ratting with each shot.
I'm writing this fro two reasons--to relay what we experienced, and if you're ever in a situation where you're not sure of what you're seeing, walk up and say something. I wish I had now.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Luck-eeee! Wish I could see something like that. There are a couple of places in my small town that are supposedly haunted, I'm trying to get my husband to accompany me for a visit because I don't want to go alone, lol.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whyshouldI trustyou2619

Wow cool post thanks for sharing. I'm curious did they notice you were there in anyway?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
When I visited Gettysburg I didn't see anything like that (I actively went out looking through it, through the battlefields at night
), but we asked around the local shop owners and heard lots of stories exactly like the one you described.

The most interesting story to me was one a local museum employee told us about. He said one family asked one of these "re-enactors" what occasion he was dressed up for, and he told them "I will not answer any of your questions." They thought that was odd but got him to agree to pose with them in a picture. The older man telling us this said that these people showed him the digital photograph they had taken on their camera, and the "re-enactor's" face was grayed out, as if it was just a uniform/body and no face. This was the guy who was running that building with the Gettysburg reenactment using all the little miniature pieces, that you go in and sit on benches and it gives you a "sound and light show" over the miniature battlefield (which takes up the whole room).

I definitely want to visit there again some day. That whole town has an eerie feeling to it, like you're stepping back in time. The houses on the street still have bullet holes through the brick walls where there were sharpshooter skirmishes through the streets as the Union were retreating through town on the 1st and 2nd days.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
No, they didn't seem to respond to us at all. We just didn't want to appear rude and stand there and stare at them. She just assumed they were a couple of reenactors. We were wrong apparently...really wish we had said something to them.

new topics

top topics

join