It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton’s Cornel West Rips Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
All I can say about this is OOOF!! West just went loose in all areas..

President Obama’s African American supporters are in turmoil after one of their most prominent members, Princeton University professor Cornel West unleashed a powerful race-tinged attack on his former friend.

West ripped Obama, calling him a “white man with black skin” and “a black mascot of Wall Street oligarchs and…corporate plutocrats,” during interviews that have roiled progressives.

He also described the president as “head of the American killing machine and proud of it.”

He told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz that Obama’s upbringing inevitably means he “has a predilection much more towards upper and middle class white brothers and Jewish brothers and a certain distance from free black men who will tell him the truth.

“The system is rigged against poor and working people and Obama is the head of it.”

And even this

West also attacked Obama for failing to kill off the tea party before it gained momentum. “He missed the moment,” he said.

“He could have nipped the bud of the right wing populism of the tea party movement by focusing on homeowners who were losing their homes, on workers with a job creation program, with some kind of job corps and declaring war on poverty instead of this abstract war on terror.”

Can't really argue with this

Earlier West had told the liberal blog Truthdig that Obama lacks backbone.

Hmmm a little back story and a little infighting amongst progressives. I guess Obama really is a Progressive.

West, Professor of African American Studies at Princeton, had a rift with the president soon after the 2008 election. He said he went to 65 campaign events but then was unhappy when he couldn’t get his mother and brother tickets to the inauguration.

He also claims Obama “cussed him out” last July for claiming that the President was not a progressive. The White House did not dispute West’s account of that meeting at the National Urban League’s annual conference.

But West denies his latest barrage of attacks is personal. In a message sent out on Twitter, he said, “This discussion is in no way about me, it has to do with poor and working people having low priority in U.S. governmental policy including the Obama Administration.”

Some are striking back at West including Sharpton.

The Rev. Al Sharpton also joined in the attack on West. “This is the first time in the country that we have an African American president. He is not the president of African Americans,” said Sharpton. “The problem we’re seeing with too many older-minded people is you don’t want the next generation. You want clones.”

West's defenders... interesting statement that leaves out poor Caucasian,Asian, Hispanic et.al.

But West’s position has its supporters. Syracuse scholar in residence in entrepreneurship, Boyce Watkins said West “must ultimately be given credit for guiding the conversation back to poor, black and brown people.

“Those who are quick to implement the ‘stop snitching on Obama’ policy on Cornel West should stop trying to counter his argument by telling West to remain silent. Instead, he should be silenced with relevant and meaningful action on the part of the Obama Administration.”

Obama is going to have is hands full in the big fight on the horizon...

www.newsmax.com...

edit on 19-5-2011 by jibeho because: content error

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sounds like West is basically saying Obama should have stuck to his promises and not gone off the rails on the "terror" crazy train.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with constructive criticism...

edit on 5/19/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Appears to me, that West is simply calling it as he sees it. Course, we pretty much new Obama was just an empty suit~

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I completely disapprove of the racist aspects of the little diatribe, but he is right in saying Obama is no better than the people who came before him.

Its not a white/black issue, and how idiotic of him to have assumed in the first place that the melanin content of someones skin had any bearing at all on the content of their character. And it sure wasnt his "white" upbringing that is responsible either. His selling out to wealthy powers and interests is wholly and totally on him.

Apparently West is completely unaware of the black leaders in Africa who were raised by black people who will likewise sell their fellow brownskinned people out for a buck and some prestige.

Sociopathy is not linked to any one race exclusively. Nor is just flat out greed.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Does this attack on Obama mean that Cornel West is a Racist??

If I apply all of the usual Obama defense strategies I would have to say YES!! Go figure... How would professor West feel about that label??

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

WOW

Looks like the honeymoon is over. Seems a few people remembered those campaign promises and are not afraid to open their mouths

By the way where is my OBAMA MONEY?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Realms

Yes indeed he is (an empty suit)...in more ways then one, if my itch is telling me what I think it is. Test tube baby...

-Invisible Crown-

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Definitely outside/beside himself on those statements of his skin color. 1000% agree with you, but I respect mr. west just think he might be speaking from a personal and emotional place when releasing those specific words...

-Invisible Crown-

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamuraiCentury

Definitely outside/beside himself on those statements of his skin color. 1000% agree with you, but I respect mr. west just think he might be speaking from a personal and emotional place when releasing those specific words...

-Invisible Crown-

I think for him to have been able to openly make those kinds of comments he must be pretty deeply racist. However, that said, I dont think you or anyone should discount any valuable contributions Mr West may have made simple because he is racist.

People are complex, and flawed. And its wrong to toss away all the good about a person simply because you do find their flaw(s). But, you also cant let the good about a person or your feelings for them cause you to overlook their flaws either.

(And clearly, you are not)

In this case Mr West brings up a good point and tarnishes it with racism. It does an injustice to his own argument. Many people will use the racist aspect as an excuse to overlook the very valid point that he is making otherwise.
edit on 19-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Poor president. Does anyone really think they have any power to effect changes that would fundamentally affect the status quo? That's just not cricket my friends.

Regardless of the posturing, the glorious celebrity, the fine speech writing, and the genuine charm and charisma; these politicians don't really ever change anything. That President Obama is no different should only surprise those who voted for him for the wrong reasons.

For them I feel bad. They thought that "Hope" and "Change" were literal promises, and they ignored the fact that to be in the political social club, with the full support of media moguls, and influence peddlers, you are likely to have be one of them... saying so some 750 days ago would have taken prescience that apparently all 'partisan' Americans flatly reject... because their favorite politician (for whatever reason) - much like their favorite ball team, can do no wrong that isn't someone else's fault.

So we relive the comedic tragedy over and over.....

I bet this guy is just venting the disappointment he has to face every time he recalls the passion of his support during that fateful election. Either that or it's all political theater...

My vote is on the latter.
edit on 19-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
hey - i like the tea party.
the more the merrier - it's the American way.
edit on 19-5-2011 by jibajaba because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
it seems Obama is losing lots of friends
very quickly. That happens to people
whom others can't trust.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
ER UH "RRRRRRRAAAAAACCCCIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Right?

Lets hear it all you teaparty bashers.Ohhh: its only "racist" when conservatives make disparaging remarksagainst the "chosen One"??
Seems every disparaging comment above was related to race.
wehats a matta can'thave a blackman in the white house?
edit on 19-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I agree with you. The minute you bring race into it, you show your true colors as being at least a little racist. He definitely could have chose his words better....

Other than the racist undertone, I happen to agree with a lot of what he is saying.
edit on Thu, 19 May 2011 18:52:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

I agree with you. The minute you bring race into it, you show your true colors as being at least a little racist. He definitely could have chose his words better....

Other than the racist undertone, I happen to agree with a lot of what he is saying.
edit on Thu, 19 May 2011 18:52:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

100%

My point was beligerantly aimed squarely at "the Garafalos" who blast any anti-obama rhetoric in this forum with:" It's purely about "race"! Just ignorant. redneck racists!!!!!end of discussion.Where are they now? And you know who you are.
edit on 19-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think West sounds exactly right, and that sentiment is pretty common among normal working class black people. If Obama had followed through on his campaign promises of creating public works, and jobs, then there would have been no need for a Tea Party. Instead, the enormous bailout went to corporations and banks, and as usual, it never 'trickled down.'

Once again though, the message has to do with race? Why? The Tea Party doesn't hate Obama because he is black, and West shouldn't hate him for not being "black enough" and Sharpton shouldn't support him just because he is black. All of that is ludicrous and disgusting!

The fact is, Obama is a corporate shill, and the accusations would be true despite his color of skin. The fact is poor people are suffering, regardless of their particular melanin content. The middle class is evaporating, and it isn't any particular race, it is everyone that is a hard-working, law-abiding tax payer.

Everything West said is correct, except for expecting Obama to give any specific attention to any specific race. He is the POTUS, he should be giving all of the citizens attention, but instead he let all of us down, and all of his attention is going toward corporations and banks. He is a bad president, and it wouldn't matter if he was snow-white or purple.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Wow, talk about biting the hand that feeds you. But I can see where he's coming from. Obama makes a big deal that he is half-white when he's talking to whites, but you can bet when it benefits him he plays up not only that he is half-black, but even changes his speech patterns if necessary:

Mr. West has hit the nail on the head. Obama is an opportunist, pure and simple. I couldn't care less what color Obama is. But he obviously does...if it's convenient.

/TOA

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

but even changes his speech patterns if necessary:

I change my speech patterns when necessary. It is involuntary. When I order Chinese food, I mimic their accent, Mexican same thing. When I am at work, I use my whole proper vocabulary, at home, just the normal parts, around my buddies I sometimes pull out some ebonics or redneck.

Just today, I was leaving work, in my suit, with a coworker, talking about some deep political issues affecting our department, when we got to the restaurant, the guy delivering beer happened to be an old friend I hadn't seen in awhile, he walked up, we did the cool handshake and bro-hug thing, talked a little bit in "lingo," he went back to work, and I continued by educated conversation with my co-worker......although it took a second or two for him to recover.

Anyhow. Let's hate Obama for his politics. Not his speech patterns or color of skin. It isn't dishonest to change your speech pattern, it is dishonest to campaign one way and legislate in the opposite way!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah I got to agree with you there, anyone who is smart knows when to adapt. I was a homie g when I was in a high school full of them. Went down south for a month, took me a few days to stop saying y'all. Try not to swear among my elders, except the ones that also swear like sailors

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join