It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Human "LAN"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a while and for some odd reason I seen to think that we should already be able to create a self contained Human "LAN" meaning artificial self sustaining brain. The Human brain is the most complicated computer ever researched, dissected and studied yet we know very little about it's total capabilities.

With new scanning technology we can map out thought processes and analytic processes and even get a glimpse in to how the brain understands and computes information.

With all that we now about creating information pathways in an artificial but tangible way such as MAN's, LAN,s, WAN,s and with all that we already know about the human brain and it's comparisons to such information highways, one would think that someone somewhere in the scientific world could come up with a feasible way to either upload what we know about the human brain, ie; thought process, logical process, emotional, hypothetical, analytic and all other information we have and try to create a true artificial human brain. Someone out there must be able to create a firmware, software that can mimic the human brain!?!?!?

The human brain is a check sum of infinite variables based on choices and consequences. I'm sure someone out there can come up with a mathematical equation equal to that and have a programmer write it out.

We say that the brain is the fastest computer ever yet we have computers in today's cars that make thousands of decisions per millisecond.

Can't we teach a computer to learn like we teach our babies, couldn't we give "birth" to a "computer baby" and tech it as if it was human ???

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Very interesting concept...honestly I'm sure that such things are being created, if they have not already been, but are possibly top secret projects, maybe military-involved. If we could map out every part and function of the human brain, and be able to reproduce it digitally, it would be a huge step towards creating the perfect cyborg, i.e. something straight out of Artificial Intelligence, something that would possibly learn to think for itself.

The other day I read an article in a British newspaper about how the Ministry of Defense was very worried about the rapid advancement of robotic weaponry and A.I. because the repercussions could be reeeeally bad if the machines become 'self-aware'. Also the moral issues- these things can kill people in war, enemies as well as innocent civilians, and not be held accountable or responsible because they are machines.

So the technology probably already exists but is being hushed up for now, until all the kinks can be worked out I guess...?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I am familiar with the system, currently they are boosting it with digital carrier frequencies, the flouride acts as a crystal receiver and transmitter in the brain, and the frequencies program the crystal and also program patterns into the brain through the television.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here is the problem I have with this...as there are certain things I think computers will never be able to do.

Hypothetical scenario...

One evening, you and your pregnant wife are sitting around watching tv and all of a sudden she goes into labor and something is not exactly right and she just knows that something is wrong and has to get to the hospital fast, as in yesterday fast. You all pile into the car and haul ass to the hospital running stop lights, stop signs and 20 mph over the speed limit. Now, the latest and greatest cyborg police officer spots the illegal driving and proceeds to pull you over. You refuse to stop because the wife has a potential serious situation at hand and you are almost there as it is, but you do not stop. Now, after a few seconds the car chase routine program kicks in on the cyborg officer and puts it in a more aggressive stage to deal with this reckless driver. The guy whips into the emergency department driveway jumps out and runs to the other side of the car to get the wife out. But all the cyborg sees is, a speeding car, then a perp stopping and getting out and then running.

Now is this man a threat or trying to evade the police, so the cyborg, by following the program routines to take a measure to stop the man because he has broken 6 different laws in the last few minutes. In these instances, how will these robots be able to recognize such things? When a human cop would pretty much be able to make that important distinction to the problem at hand.

We will always have the need for the human touch. And that is something that I do not ever see us being able to turn into a computer program.

I do not know, maybe I have watched too many movies or something.

But, who knows.....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

We say that the brain is the fastest computer ever yet we have computers in today's cars that make thousands of decisions per millisecond.

Well yes but that car computer is only doing those tasks, our brain is doing all these tasks while operating all the organs in your body, regulating breathing and blood pressure, converting 2 upside down flat images into a 3 dimensional image that we consider our vision, as well as countless other things.

Can't we teach a computer to learn like we teach our babies, couldn't we give "birth" to a "computer baby" and tech it as if it was human ???

Well they have developed some pretty smart "learning" ai, and recently scientists created robots that actually created their own language to communicate.

anyways....

Mapping the system is merely 1 aspect. If you were to map out all the power lines in your city, would you then have a complete understanding of how electricity is produced and how those electrons travel through those lines? No.

Our brain is quite possibly the most complex system we've encountered and goes much farther beyond just the synapses and wiring, there's chemical reactions at work.

Eventually I see us getting there, but probably not in our lifetime

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

A human cop would run you off the road and/or shoot you BEFORE you get to the hospital.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Maybe so, but at the end of the day I would still feel better that a human cop was chasing me than hoping that the computer programmer did not have a malformed if..then statement in the programming logic.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Again, that cyborg police officer can be "programmed" or "learn" from the driver's behavior pasterns. It's a question of fundamental programming and what we humans decide as to what the cyborg can learn.

As for the task management of a car's computer, the human brain is the same thing, regulating breathing and heartbeat are simple tasks for the brain really.
The human brain is compartmentalized just like a computer has different software/firmware to control different tasks and duties. A 4 core intel processor can multitask at great speed, I just do not understand how we can not be at the point of not publicly acknowledging this capability if we have it.

A computerized chess game is now almost unbeatable, think of all the different scenarios and variables that implies. Now scale it up........Shouldn't we be further ahead than we know now? I say someone out there in the dark underground of hackers and freeware programmers can surely create an firmware/software brain and release it over the internet and let it learn.......

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

How many times have we said "what the hell is that guy thinking"? With this being the case, and if we cannot understand why people do the things they do within ourselves, then how can we possibly be able to adequately make a computer program to do something that we do not completely understand ourselves to begin with.

Although there may be millions of possibilities of moves on a chess board, that is a little different than what goes on in a individuals brain and trying to cover each of the possible actions one could take.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

True but a computer program would be created by a multitude of different people and withing acceptable boundaries so to understand it's behavior would be as simple as downloading it's thought in real time and altering it if need be.

As you say, the human touch is irreplaceable but drones can be pre programmed to act in predictable manners even if given the possibility to choose.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

In my experience of writing programs, I do have to write programs with "intelligence". While I write these programs I have to try and think of everything that a user could do and then put those things into the program, usually in a format of if...then statements. And if I should happen to miss something, which I usually do because I cannot think of every single possibility that a person could throw at me. If I do not cover the variable in my if...then statements and whatever I did not account for usually ends up in an error, and there is no way to tell how the computer will handle that error. Sometimes it could be put in a loop, sometimes it just freezes, sometimes it just ignores it and nothing happens. In cases like this, there is no room for error.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

How about adding this line:

if speed accedes 15% of local limit, end chase.
if unable to comply, shut down
if shut down is impossible, go to line 1

Meaning, throw it in a loop when an error is possible, make it a default.

Just throwing it out there, I'm liking this conversation, thanks for participating.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
computer games have AI's in them.
they play the game very well.
and learn from how you play.
so why not build on that tecnoligy?

have you read storys about the 3 robot laws?
people are sceard of AI robots.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

The three robot laws are from a movie staring Will Smith....LOL....But the ultimate goal in what I'm saying is still the same. I wonder if we can actually do it or have done it and it's kept under the covers. We are way smarter than we are let on to know, the human race is kept dumb as far as I'm concerned.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I like theorizing this sort of stuff as well but we can keep going in circles, and given enough time, maybe we could work out the bugs. I am just of the opinion that if we are going to be using computers in our daily lives that we must also draw a few lines, that is not to say the lines have to always remain static. They can move based on our experience and understanding of things. However, I think for the most part computers need to be handling the routine mundane tasks. We are many many many years and not in our lifetime where we should be using computers in situations where they would have authority or making life or death decisions, at possibly our expense.

Computers simply do not have gut feelings.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

U.S. Military drones outfitted with laser guided missals are already making those choices in Afghanistan. The programming is within a given parameter and if the computer judges right to fire on a target, it does.

Now that's life and death decisions right there. If we are using this type of programming in a war scenario, how long until we have it in our homes? Not drones with that kind of decision making but you know what I'm trying to get at.

I think that the neural net or the "positron" brain is here, we are just not ready to unleash it to the mass right now.
edit on 19-5-2011 by Fox Molder because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2011 by Fox Molder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
reply to post by Skewed

U.S. Military drones outfitted with laser guided missals are already making those choices in Afghanistan. The programming is within a given parameter and if the computer judges right to fire on a target, it does.

I am going to have to disagree with that. I think humans still push the button. The only exception to that rule I can think of is if in the event the drone is fired upon then it may return fire in that instance.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Nope, look it up, since late 2009, early 2010 some drones have the capability of making that choice by analyzing information gathered from the military network.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

That probably explains some of the mistakes in taking out the wrong target then..

A computer is only as good as the programmer.

Who knows....

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join