It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Interior Ministry troops were fed dog food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Russian Interior Ministry troops were fed dog food

www.reuters.com

A rare whistleblower in Russia's expansive security forces, ex-Major Igor Matveyev said officers tried to cover up the scandal and other alleged wrongdoing at the Interior Ministry troops base where he served in the far east city of Vladivostok.

Matveyev, who served in Russia's wars against Chechen separatists in the 1990s, said he was ordered dismissed after posting a video on the Internet this month alleging widespread corruption in the Interior Ministry forces.

No one at the ministry's troop unit was immediately available to comment on his allegations.

"It's embarrassing to sa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The mighty Russian bear aint as mighty as it used to be. If an army marches on its stomach, does this mean the Russian army will march on all fours?

Chew on this the next time the Russians begin their saber rattling: If they cant even afford to feed their troops how can they expect to pay for training, new equipment and maintenance of existing equipment?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It may not be to everyones tastes but it does show how loyal and obidient the Russian soilders are when they are able to fight wars on nothing but dog food rations.

The western armys dont go to war unless they have K packs and or chefs at command posts. I would like to see how a western soilder would deal with such dilema, eat dog food or go hungry.

It truly goes to show

dont mess with the Russians.
edit on 19-5-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Better than the USSR troops in the 30's....

Fed nothing.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
It may not be to everyones tastes but it does show how loyal and obidient the Russian soilders are when they are able to fight wars on nothing but dog food rations.

The western armys dont go to war unless they have K packs and or chefs at command posts. I would like to see how a western soilder would deal with such dilema, eat dog food or go hungry.

It truly goes to show

sorry but...

This, was the most ignorant post....

EVER.

Fact.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

Have you eaten our food? Have you eaten dogfood?

Our MREs taste like dogfood.

We are spoiled by care packages though. Mmm, ramen and beef jerky.

We only get the KBR cooks at big stable main operating bases, like Bagram. Most places I ever operated out of were serviced by either our own people within the company or a larger battalion or brigade that ran the place like Marines. Rarely we had Afghan cooks, for instance when I was at Torkham. By far the Afghanis are the best cooks.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

"It's embarrassing to say but soldiers here were fed dog food. It was fed to them as stew," Matveyev said in an interview with Reuters, adding that dog food labels were covered up with labels reading 'premium quality beef'.

Mmmmmm.

And this is worse than just letting them starve right?

There are worse things to eat.

MREs for US soldiers are far better right?

Even with all of the chemicals and additives that will have grave impact on their health eventually.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

It truly goes to show

It also goes to show how little the Russian government actually care for their armed forces IMO.
I mean why waste good food on the army right?
They are only willing to lay down their lives for YOU corrupt politicians...
Very low to feed them dog food IMO,don't tell me they can't afford proper rations with all that oil money they have.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You think MRE's were bad? Try C-Rats.

This may sound outrageous to many, but frankly, many other countries' soldiers have it even worse.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

My favorite were the big bags of trail mix from Costco that my family would send.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Everything tastes OK
with Vodka.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
You think MRE's were bad? Try C-Rats.

This may sound outrageous to many, but frankly, many other countries' soldiers have it even worse.

I've eaten MRE's and they are certainly NOT like any dog food I've fed a dog. I even keep some on hand in the house in case of emergencies. I'll leave it to another member to do a taste test, though

This revelation reminds me of the situation back during the Cold War where we were bombarded in the media about the soviet "juggernaut" waiting to roll over the West with their 50,000 tanks.

Then I read a book called "The Threat: Inside the Soviet Military Machine", which - in a nutshell - said that while the soviets did have around 50,000 tanks, the truth was that they were of such poor quality that about half of them wouldn't even start on any given day. So much for the "juggernaut".

So, I think that since an army is said to march on its stomach, this news pretty much serves the same purpose as the book I read in debunking any real russian military threat.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Yeah, and I bet the Afgans never spit (or worse) into your soup, either.

As far as MREs, I buy them for camping and a "what the Hell, I think I'll have one of my MREs tonight." Perhaps you should have been around for C-rations, when you never had the luxury of a carbide heating aid to make it a warm mean. 'Course, too many MREs may alter a rosey perspective about them.

A soldier will eat what is available or literally starve. Hunger knows no bounds. As far as the Russian forces go, they are still dwindling despite their relatively good fortunes in oil that last few years, corruption, you kow. And the Russian individual, soldier or old pensioner, is no stranger to hardship from their earlierst memories.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
This revelation reminds me of the situation back during the Cold War where we were bombarded in the media about the soviet "juggernaut" waiting to roll over the West with their 50,000 tanks.

Then I read a book called "The Threat: Inside the Soviet Military Machine", which - in a nutshell - said that while the soviets did have around 50,000 tanks, the truth was that they were of such poor quality that about half of them wouldn't even start on any given day. So much for the "juggernaut".

So, I think that since an army is said to march on its stomach, this news pretty much serves the same purpose as the book I read in debunking any real russian military threat.

No offense, but how can you beleive anything written by Cockburn?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That's nothing; I feed my Plumber cat food sammiches. He prefers ocean fish sensations.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

No offense, but how can you beleive anything written by Cockburn?

Oh, I don't know. All you have to do is look at all the soviet/russian military hardware sitting around rusting, and combine that with the performance of that equipment in the various middle east wars since the 1960's. I'd say that in this case, it pretty much makes Cockburn's assessment to be spot on. The book reviews on Amazon and other sites seem to agree with what I'm saying, as well.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Oh, I don't know. All you have to do is look at all the soviet/russian military hardware sitting around rusting, and combine that with the performance of that equipment in the various middle east wars since the 1960's. I'd say that in this case, it pretty much makes Cockburn's assessment to be spot on. The book reviews on Amazon and other sites seem to agree with what I'm saying, as well.

Two words: Monkey Model

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Yeah, and I bet the Afgans never spit (or worse) into your soup, either.

As far as MREs, I buy them for camping and a "what the Hell, I think I'll have one of my MREs tonight." Perhaps you should have been around for C-rations, when you never had the luxury of a carbide heating aid to make it a warm mean. 'Course, too many MREs may alter a rosey perspective about them.

A soldier will eat what is available or literally starve. Hunger knows no bounds. As far as the Russian forces go, they are still dwindling despite their relatively good fortunes in oil that last few years, corruption, you kow. And the Russian individual, soldier or old pensioner, is no stranger to hardship from their earlierst memories.

They ate the same exact food. You would of had to been there. Torkham didn't have a chow hall. The place was barely big enough for a platoon sized element. We ate in a dining room next to the kitchen.

I do remember finding a C-ration can in the field at Fort Hood years ago while we training. We opened it up and inside was a chocolate cake brownie thing. It looked edible and smelled like chocolate, but no one would taste it.

We rarely used our MRE heaters, except when doing juvenile activities with water bottles and tobasco sauce.

When I was a kid I liked MREs, back when they were in the dark brown bags and had the nut cakes, but after eating them for 40 days straight In Iraq in 03, I have come to loath them.

edit on 19/5/11 by MikeboydUS because: moo

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Who fights harder: a soldier fighting for food or a soldier fighting for oil?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Dog treats and biscuits as a matter of fact yes I have eaten them.

Served in the Royal Irish for 3 years, never once went without a hot meal while on exercise, always had the chefs with us.

And finally to Common Good im a psychologist now by profession and look at the minds ability to over come obsticles and its pretty amazing that the Russians would

1, let their soilders eat dog food
2,the soilders would still be obidient to orders

before your so quick to judge my comments as ignorance look at my previous posts to get a sence of who I am.

top topics

join