It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Deforestation In Brazil Increases Six-Fold. Murder continues.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Amazon Deforestation In Brazil Increases Six-Fold, Crisis Center Created To Combat Huge Rise

Huffington Post
BRASILIA, Brazil -- Brazil has set up a crisis center to combat increased deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, the nation's environmental minister said Wednesday. Minister Izabella Teixeira said officials had to take action after satellite data showed a significant increase in deforestation over the past two months. In the previous year, Brazil recorded the lowest annual deforestation rates since records started being kept more than two decades ago.

This is disgusting. The Amazon rainforest is teeming with life of all kinds and its just getting flattened to satisfy the pockets of corporations and the hunger of materialistic consumerist zombies.

So why isn't anything being done you ask? Well apparently there has been, and for a while.

"We created a crisis committee ... to determine and combat the causes of this increase," Teixeira said. The committee, which will meet weekly, is made up of environmental agents, federal police, highway federal police and state agents, Teixeira said. The committee will coordinate about 700 agents and police officers in the region to fight deforestation, she said.

I repeat, apparently. Its all good flexing the muscles and stopping a few patches here and there getting deforested but all it takes is a one or two corrupted officials to receive bribes and nothing substantial comes of the efforts. Corporations will always have immense control it seems. What is actually being done? substantially?

This is my favourite part..

Some environmental experts, however, warned that simple economics were driving the deforestation rates, and that as the global economy recovers from financial crisis, the rates would rise again as demand for soy and cattle raised in the Amazon increases. Farmers and ranchers would likely clear more land to produce those products.

So we are now going to make the planet pay EVEN MORE, for OUR mistakes?

We aren't the only species on this planet.. far from it. We are making multiple species extinct every day. That's mass murder.

Huffington post

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well that's what you get if you try to help poor countrys by giving the farmers some jobs!
All honesty do you think they will care about the deforestation of the amazon forest or
the money they will get? Of course the money cause they are poor.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by foreshadower99
Well that's what you get if you try to help poor countrys by giving the farmers some jobs!
All honesty do you think they will care about the deforestation of the amazon forest or
the money they will get? Of course the money cause they are poor.

What about the people that live in the rain forest? Do you not respect their property rights?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Well the deforestation map on howstuffworks.com Still seems to show brazil at 0.1-0.9% deforstation which means they are losing around 0.1-0.9% of their forest each year.

I think the deforestation might be a bit sensationalized

So i guess this means they would lose their entire forest in 100 years if they kept at their current rate if we say the rate is about 1% but the graph only says between 0.1-0.9% so i'm unsure on the actual number.

If its increased sixfold from the actual data based on the graph that could be bad..

maps.howstuffworks.com...
edit on 19-5-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The worst part, for me, is that today the new Forest Code has passed on the Chamber of Deputies (or House of Representatives). Now, some things has changed. We still have mountains and river banks as conservation areas, but, for smallholders, the area around the river that must be protected has fallen from 30 meters to 15 meters. And we have something called "Legal Reserve", which is the native wood area that must be protected inside a property. The smallholders now don't need to maintain a Legal Reserve. And now, people who received a fine for deforestation until July 2008 don't need to pay it anymore.

All these changes were made to increase the agricultural production, but the deforestation rate is only going to increase more and more from now on. Isn't my government a beauty?

top topics

join