It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk food foes to McDonald's: Retire Ronald!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Junk food foes to McDonald's: Retire Ronald!

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Ronald McDonald, the orange and white face of the popular fast-food chain that bears his name, is under attack by nutrition advocates who want him to be retired.

Their beef, so to speak, is that McDonald's uses clowns and toys to sell unhealthy food to impressionable children. The company argues that its marketing practices are responsible, and that its food is "high quality."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
How about, for once, parents take responsibility for what their kids eat or what their kids do? It's too easy to blame something else instead of taking responsibility. As a gamer, this reminds me of all the outrage over violence in video games. If you don't want your kid to be exposed to it (McDonald's, violence in video games), don't let them have it!

And, I guess if Ronald McDonald must retire, so must his charities.

Ronald McDonald House Charities:
rmhc.org...

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
He was scary anyways.
I never liked him.

I'm glad he going away lol.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
All right. All right. Get The F**K Out of my LIFE.
Really so know let's retire the king, The chuck e chees rat,Jack wendy and anyone else who may or may not have an effect on our children. You know why we have an obesity problem. Too much xbox not enough outside. They say it takes a village to raise a child but I pick the village not everyone else. I'm so sick and tired of everyone else thinking they know whats best for the greater good. Really not everyone has the same ideas stupids. What happened to I don't agree with your ways but I'll fight to the death for them. I am so sick of this type of BS. It reminds me of Demolition Man.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Don't stop there, Grimmace, that weird other one and the Burgler need to go as well. I could care less what the health nuts say for me it's personal as they always gave me the creeps even as a child. But hands down I hate clowns so this could be a good day!!!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Alright! More fat attacks!

Hey, I am not allowed to have cigarette commercials. So McDonalds can't have clown commercials.

Kinda hard to tell them to get out of your life, when you cry to them to fix it. (I love being a smoker!)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ffman

Agreed the parents need to control where their kids eat. To blame it on a company is sad and pathetic at best.

Another reason many people look up to the government to baby them. They want the government to dictate and tell them what to do even...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stinavamp

Excellent point. How many of those advocating this are advocating the end of game boxes and their games or even half the mindless crap on TV.

They want to blame other things/people than their own poor parenting skills.

Raist

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
reply to post by ffman

Agreed the parents need to control where their kids eat. To blame it on a company is sad and pathetic at best.

Another reason many people look up to the government to baby them. They want the government to dictate and tell them what to do even...

And that's where it all begins. First allow, incrementally, the gov't to dictate portions of your life and tell you what is right and wrong, and then BLAM! There goes the rest of your freedom. Of course we already see this happening. Not to derail this thread or anything. I hate this sort of thing. They are demonizing a character many kids actually look up to. What does that say to our children when they hear this? You want to create a distrustful, anti-gov't generation; this is how you do it. And, in all truth, McDonald's food HAS gotten a lot better over the years.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

While were at it, let's ban all fashion and glamor magazines, as they give impressionable little girls an unrealistic view of body image.

Ban all muscle, gun, car magazines as they give impressionable little boys unrealistic ideas of manhood.

Ban all alcohol commercials, they encourage all young people to drink, because it will make them popular and fun. and hot chicks will show up at their parties in little skimpy outfits.

Ban all alcohol company from sponsoring any event that has driving or cars in it, it promotes drinking and driving.

Ban all food commercials, they encourage everyone to overeat and become fat.

*sigh* omg when will people stop sticking their self rightous noses in everyones business. If you don't like McDonalds, don't go there.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Yea it is rather pathetic. I have so many of my friends that are shocked when I tell my 3 year old to get in the corner and she does.They think I'm some sort of super mom with power to control little ones. When all actuality it's just good parenting. I demand respect and manners, I reward good behaviour and I'm not a liar. If I say I'm gonna do something I do it. Obesity is a big problem for adults and children, but banning Ronald isn't going to stop it. It's our sedintary lifestyle thats to blame. I know because I'm overweight. Instead of blaming Mcdonald's I got of my fat a$$ and did something about it. It's amazing how much weight you can lose by going for a walk and cutting half my junk food intake and replacing it with fruits and vegetables. I've already lost 30 lbs in 5 mths. My health and my child's health are MY responsibilities no one elses.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
He's no longer promoted, that I see, in any local McDonalds in the area.

No photo's or statues.

You could almost say he's already gone.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Its all very well talking about parental responsibility, but when fast food companies spend billions on advertising that influences people from cradle to grave, it's not always that easy for some to make the educated decisions about what is right and wrong for kids to eat.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

I agree with everything you said until you mentioned the charity, the only reason they have that charity is for exactly the same reason you just used it. So they can use it as an excuse for all the bad things. Which is everything really, the food has no benefits ? Besides taste

'Oh but we've got a charity'

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ever since I read when younger of a child predatory who was Ronald Mcdonald I have been freaked out by that clown freak! That combined with it I just see a cannibalistic, child mutilator wearing red boots and make up. To me he is an outdated icon. That being said, the Ronald Mcdonald house does so much for disadvantage kids and to remove him as a symbol for their fundraiser efforts just because people don't like nuggets is reticulum. I may be afraid of clowns but that doesn't mean every clown should be out lawed just because of that. How about this instead of ten nuggets get your kid a big mac, I mean five piece and fruit.

Before you attack the charity how about go and take a look at what they do, they have helped countless seriously ill children get medical treatment that would not have got if it wasn't for the Ronald Mcdonald house. rmhc.org...
edit on 5/19/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You want to make a point fine...but your vulgarity and insults are not according to the high standards of ATS ......wake up...you may be removed.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

LMAO
Wow vulgarity here at ATS I'm shocked and appalled at my behaviour.Thank you Moderator.We really need a sarcasm button for the internet. Because your not a moderator and I'm so sorry my passionatre words affected you this way. If they want to remove me thats fine. I talk like a normal person and only insulted idiots and my own butt. If your offended don't read. Better yet get off the internet.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Wow, congratulations.

I am not overweight, nor have I ever been, but I know it is a struggle. However, I do know and love people who are overweight. I know they struggle and leading a hectic life is no help. It really cuts down on the time of fixing yourself a good meal or even exercise when a person works all day, does school work at night and is also a parent at night and weekends are not far different from weekdays.

I admit I have a difficult time half the time with my son, the other half he minds perfectly. At school or with other people he does exactly as he is told to do. I think he pushes my buttons most of the time either for attention or to see if I will let him get away with things. He is very smart at figuring out how to read people.

I refuse to eat any of the chain fast food places. Either they have angered me in the past or their food was totally disgusting the last time I was there. I admit I do though splurge on some places from time to time. I enjoy Arby's, Subway, and a place around here called Culver's. It is a fast food place but they make your burgers like a mom and pop place with butter buns and they make your order when you order it so nothing is old and nasty. I also sometimes eat Long John Silver's and on date night we go to Red Lobster.

I am not saying I eat incredibly healthy though. Because of my hours being so different from my wife's hours we eat a lot of microwave or oven baked foods. Also because of our hours we go to the store for food once a month and buy a supply of food. If the power goes out for any length of time though we lose a lot of food depending on the time of year and how long before that we went to the store. One spring I bet we lost over a hundred dollars of food (over a week's worth of food), it was sad.

I do exercise as regularly as I can though. A few times a week (as long as it is warm and sunny) I ride my bike. I can go 16 miles in 47 min. I need to get into some other forms of exercise but then I would have less time for ATS

Raist

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The "Greater Good" for Mcdonalds would be having people eat McDonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner. Move all McDonalds restaurants into public schools, this would be considered the Greater Good for the fast food industry, but hey as long as the government stays out of your life who cares what the corporations do

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

stinavamp, I had to go back and re-read your post to see if I could find the vulgarity, darn it, thought I missed something

top topics

<<   2 >>

join