It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Disappointment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I saw this touched on in a few threads, but I thought it deserved its own.

In consideration of humanity - I propose the question...

What will you do to the believers if nothing comes to pass?

Ridicule them further? The jokes are there already, but right now the believers can say at least say, "You'll see!"

If when we get there, nothing happens... then what?

That scares me more than anything else - I saw how people reacted on May 1st, dropping their lives at 11:30 at night to drive to NY or DC without even getting a confirmation of the events to celebrate a death thats in question even weeks later... How can I trust the people around me to tell them what I believe? So that they can throw it in my face later? And I'm not innocent, I make fun of the 5/21/12 crowd too - but I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't. It would serve me right if I torture them on 5/22, only to have the rapture turn up on 5/23.... are you following me?

I personally predict mass suicides and/or wide spread violence .... self fullfilled prophecy?

I hope I'm wrong. On so many levels.

Peace.

en.wikipedia.org...

Edit to avoid confusion - specifically - how will you behave in January 2013
edit on 19-5-2011 by Forevever because: because people think I meant just the 5/21 rapture

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Dear Mods, I apologize if I'm in the wrong section, I'm new and promise to get the hang of it at some point, and I trust you'll move me as necessary, ♥ Me

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I doubt mass suicides. I have a feeling that the ones that started this already have cooked up something they're going to say when it doesn't happen. Kind of an escape speech to explain why it didn't happen.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I know nothing will happen, I'm half Christian and half crazy. These people didn't read their bibles! No man knoweth the day, time or hour. I don't know what Magical book their reading but it ain't the bible. People will continue knocking themselves and their families off for unnecessary B.S
That the way life is and will continue to be, hate to say.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Kindness goes such a long way! Always be kind. I have rolled my eyes as well, but I would never ridicule anyone for their beliefs since mine tend not be the typical with friends and family. If nothing happens, they are going to feel silly enough without having to endure anyone's ridicule on top of it. Then again if it does happen, lets hope that they are in a place where they won't be pointing and laughing at us.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
All this guy has done is hurt Christians. These types of people make the rest of us look like crazy religious fanatics. I'm going to play devil's advociate though. The bible says no man shall know the day. It doesn't say anything about never being able to know. 2 profits are suppose to preach and they will be killed and left in the street. After 3 days, Jesus returns and raises them up. So you will know that once those profits are killed, you have 3 days.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I just hope a bit more skepticism comes from believers once this comes and passes...I mean, it won't overall...they will just find some new doom day to wait(hope?) for...same as usual.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I should've been more specific - I didn't just mean the whole rapture thing

I'm talking about ALL of the 2012 phenomenon

how will you behave in January 2013 is the real question

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I was actually just contemplating getting a window marker and writing this question on my rear windshield. While I personally don’t know anyone who "Believes" this, I do however live in an area with a lot of people who do. People who have given EVERYTHING up because they don’t think they need it.

I do also believe that if you take those extreme measures, sell all your items, Give away your personal treasures. It is your own fault. I will not feel sorry for you in ANY way at all. Will I rub it in your face? No. Will I Laugh at you behind closed doors. Yes.

I do think there will be some extremists however that will end their own life in fear that they weren’t “chosen” and will be so guilty spend all their time thinking “what did I do wrong” that they will not want to live.

B

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think we need to remember that these people aren't representative of the christian faith as a whole. In fact, they are a tiny fraction of it. They are just the latest ones to be considered newsworthy.
I personally think Mr. Camping isn't crazy at all. I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

And BTW, look at the website you're on. To most of the world, we are the crazies. And I'm sure most of us probably believe some things that aren't true. Even the skeptics.

However, most of us aren't going off the deep end, or starting a cult anytime soon that I can see. But for those folks, I truly feel bad for them. They didn't ask to be deceived, it just worked out that way.

The whole world is brainwashed to some degree. Some more, some less.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't know how everybody else will feel, but I know I'll have a pretty nasty hangover on Sunday because I plan to start drinking tomorrow night.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadesofGrey78
I don't know how everybody else will feel, but I know I'll have a pretty nasty hangover on Sunday because I plan to start drinking tomorrow night.

LOL you and me both - Tequila FTW!!!

Still no ones addressed the original point

Its January 2013 - the US$ is making a comeback, troops are starting to come home, nibiru/planet X didn't show up, elenin passed us by, I'm not seeing any aliens, and even the weather is getting better.....

Now what?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by ShadesofGrey78

LOL you and me both - Tequila FTW!!!

Still no ones addressed the original point

Its January 2013 - the US$ is making a comeback, troops are starting to come home, nibiru/planet X didn't show up, elenin passed us by, I'm not seeing any aliens, and even the weather is getting better.....

Now what?

In that case, we drink even more!
edit on 19-5-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: typo

new topics

top topics

join