It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont Panic... it's just a baby!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Thanks to another member questioning the ladies about repopulating the planet... coughs...snickers.... it gave me the inspiration to put this helpful guide together. a layman's guide to how to deliver a baby...
the following is taken from Dr. Gregory White, in his book Emergency Birth...

To be honest I'm not the best guy to be talking about birthing babies... I'm the father who drove the wife to the hospital then paced around ready to climb the walls... I wasn't about to jump in there and make it a DIY
project... Lives are at stake and in really that is always best left to those trained to do it... but S**T happens and when it does here some guidelines to follow.

Don't panic. Remaining calm can help you focus on the birth, even if you are alone.
(Yeah right... I remember being in the delivery room. the wife was all calm, I on the other hand was climbing the walls)

Call your doctor, midwife, or 9-1-1 if you are able. If you are in your car, pull over and put on your blinkers. No use killing everyone by driving wildly, you're much safer having the baby in the car while it's stopped.
(In a SHTF get to a safe place you can safely have this baby... and keep in mind 20 hour labors are more common than you think!)

Trust your instincts. Even if your husband does nothing, chances are your instincts will tell you what to do. Actions such as clearing mucus from the mouth and nose and cutting the cord are generally unnecessary. You can wrap the baby up against your bare skin and transport the baby and the mother together, with the cord and placenta still connected.
(This is one of those deals where you should seek out a midwife, nurse, or someone who knows what to do... I know what to do... faint... but it does little to help)

Try a side-lying position. Positioning yourself on your side will also lessen the intensity of the contractions and lessen the pressure, which in turn will help to prevent the baby's head from popping out. The father may wish to place his hand against the baby's head to provide counterpressure so it is not born too quickly. If you have a few minutes and the head of the baby is presenting, it is best to push between contractions rather than at the height of the contraction. These techniques will help prevent tearing.

Assume an "all fours" position if the birth becomes difficult. Also, helping the mother into an "all fours" position or a standing position may facilitate a difficult birth. There is no need for manipulation of the shoulders unless more than three or four minutes has passed since the birth of the head. Pushing gently down on the head toward the floor may help birth the top shoulder and lifting the baby up may facilitate birth of the lower shoulder.

Clear baby's nose and mouth if you notice difficulty breathing. If the baby is having difficulty breathing, clearing the nose and mouth with a cloth is a good idea. If no spontaneous breathing has occurred within a few seconds of the birth, drying the baby's back may stimulate it. Keep the baby warm and covered at all times. If the baby is blue and showing no signs of spontaneous respiration, rescue breathing (adult mouth over baby's nose and mouth) must begin.

Keep mom and baby safe until the practitioner arrives, or until help gets there. Or until you can get them so form of trained medical attention

Dr. Gregory White, in his book Emergency Birth, says, "When in doubt, do nothing."
edit on 19-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
and keep in mind 20 hour labors are more common than you think!)

None of my three labors reached the 2 hour mark..... with my last delivery the nurse suggested I NOT do this again otherwise I'd be delivering then next one on my own, she didn't like the fact it took less than 15 minutes from my arrival at the ward to delivery, something about needing time to call the Dr. in.... *shrugs*

Otherwise great advice ...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Having babies is something that we are designed to do and I think for all intents and purposes having a baby in and of itself will happen regardless with or without help. Sure, it is nice to have some experience on hand if things do not happen the way they should. But I think having a baby, the woman's body has got it figured out and does not exactly need much help.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Good info.
Both my children were 22 hour labors & I never dilated...like, not even 1/2 a centimeter.
Therefore both of mine had to be taken by emergency cesarean section.

Also good to know, if a woman's water breaks....keep your hands outta there as much as possible. Meaning, don't try to check cervix dilation too much because any contaminants from your hands will begin to exponentially increase infection to the mother and the child since the placenta has been breached.

If a woman's water breaks and she doesn't deliver the baby within 24 hours, the baby must be taken by emergency cesarean.

So that would definitely be a "NOW WHAT??!?" scenario in a SHTF situation...

**Edited to add: The above poster "Skewed" must be a man....
edit on 19-5-2011 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

I'm glad you pointed that out...
just reaffirms my belief that if there is a slim chance you might have to do this on your own someday... then now is the time to sit in on some emergency medical classes... you know EMT training...

to much is a stake here and don't believe for a second reading some Internet helpful hits is going to make you an expert!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

I am a man, but I also have seen many many other animals have babies and I have never seen once where others came to lend a helping hand and the babies were born just fine. I do not see humans as being very much different in that aspect.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I grew up on a ranch so I can attest that's not entirely true...
today thoroughbreds have become so dependant on humans it is dangerous possibly fatal to deliver a foal on their own...

look at what we've done to show dogs... how many breads are there now,,, unable to have a natural birth??? it's a lot...

Besides as a man, dont you want to be there and help in whatever small way you can???

Of course in my case turning green isnt a lot of help... but I mean well...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Skewed

I grew up on a ranch so I can attest that's not entirely true...
today thoroughbreds have become so dependant on humans it is dangerous possibly fatal to deliver a foal on their own...

look at what we've done to show dogs... how many breads are there now,,, unable to have a natural birth??? it's a lot...

Besides as a man, dont you want to be there and help in whatever small way you can???

Of course in my case turning green isnt a lot of help... but I mean well...

Maybe the instances you describe are due to us "very smart" humans messing with another species of animals in ways that we should not. We have played god a little too much on things and maybe we have messed up their ability to do the things that they naturally would have been able to do on their own. I am not saying do not help by any means, not at all, I was only trying illustrate that helping is not always entirely necessary and in a SHTF scenario, it is conceivably possible that the woman could find herself totally alone and have to do it on her own.

Not trying to debate anything...I am just sayin....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Ok, a very incomplete article to say the lest... and I don't have time to type up a full one, but I'm positive there are EMT training videos for free somewhere (probably youtube?) dealing with birth.

With the time I do have I just want to say this, sterilize the birthing area (and your damn hands!) if possible... clean cloth or towels for birthing and if nothing else is available use your own shirt if the next best option is the ground or a car seat or other similar 'dirty' area where the baby will be caught/delivered. Alcohol can work well, but only liquor, don't even try to sterilize with beer! Clear 80+proof is best.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jubes

and keep in mind 20 hour labors are more common than you think!)

None of my three labors reached the 2 hour mark..... with my last delivery the nurse suggested I NOT do this again otherwise I'd be delivering then next one on my own, she didn't like the fact it took less than 15 minutes from my arrival at the ward to delivery, something about needing time to call the Dr. in.... *shrugs*

Otherwise great advice ...

My oldest a boy kept my wife in labor for 21 hours...our next kid another boy brought that down to eleven hours... by the time our final child was delivered, my wife was down to 2 hours labor but like you the doc said... no more... with four screaming little ones... we didn't argue...

PS we named them eeny meeny miney and Irving... cause we didn't want no Mo...

edit on 19-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Generally followed emergency delivery guide:

1. Try to remain calm. A mother's body and her baby can do most of the job on their own.
2. Call 911 (or local emergency number)
3. The mother should start panting to keep from bearing down.
4. throughout delivery comfort and reassure mother.
5. Wash vaginal are and your hands with soap and water (alcohol would work).
6. If no bed is avaliable, place newspapers or clean towels or folded clothes under the buttocks to provide height for delivering the shoulders.
7. Have mother hold her hands under her thighs in order to keep them elevated, although laying flat will slow delivery.
8. To protect surfaces a plastic tablecloth or shower curtain can be used.
9. As the top of the baby's head begins to appear, instruck the mother to pant or blow (not push), and apply very gentle counterpressureto the head to keep it from popping out suddenly. Let the head emerge gradually -never pull it out.
10. When the head is delivered, gently stroke the sides of the nose downward, the neck and under the chin upward to help expel mucus.
11. Take the head gently in 2 hands and press very slightly downward (do not pull), asking the mother to push at the same time, to deliver the front shoulder. As the upper arm appears, lift the head carefully, watching for the rear shoulder to deliver. Once the shoulders are free, the rest of the baby should slip out easily.
12. Clip or tie off umbilical cord. A sterilized shoestring or small plastic zip cord works great.
13. Wrap up baby and place at mothers breast.
14. After placenta is delivered, cut umbilical cor about 1 inch from tied area nearest to the infant.

Congratulations!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join