It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican senators press president on War Powers deadline regarding Libya - Obama Has Until Friday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

As the U.S. military campaign in Libya approaches the 60-day mark this Friday, six Republican senators wrote President Obama asking if he will comply with the War Powers Act, which says Congress must authorize action that lasts more than 60 days.

"Friday is the final day of the statutory sixty-day period for you to terminate the use of the United States Armed Forces in Libya under the War Powers Resolution."

"To me it's the most important debate we'll ever have up here. If we're going to send someone, your son or my son to war, its important that it be done properly, and its important that if there are constitutional restraints, we obey them,"

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

I think this is a pretty important thread
Friday marks the day where Obama has to involve congress, otherwise it's something else to add to the list of things that makes him possibly a dictator.

I think that it's a wise decision also to involve the supreme court, there needs to be accountability for such actions

This needs more exposure in the media, but I doubt Obama will respond.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Sen. John Kerry, D-Massachusetts, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on Tuesday that he is "talking to the administration" about what exactly Congress and the White House might do to abide by that looming 60-day deadline Friday with regard to Libya.

"We want to make sure we're not stretching anything inappropriate. So we're looking at some language," Kerry said as he entered a weekly policy lunch in the Capitol with Democratic senators. "We're really looking at it very seriously to keep everyone on the same page."

The part I bolded about language tells me that they will somehow rewrite the "language" to fit their agenda. (That agenda being the ability to bomb whoever, whenever, for however long they want...)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The warpowers act has been rejected by just about every single President since its inception. Its a violation of the Constitution as well.

The President can send troops to where ever he wants. If Congress has issues, then they have the power not to fund the troops.

plain and simple.

new topics

join