It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC News - Fake security software catches out Apple owners

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE
reply to post by woodwardjnr

NO, this piece of scareware has NO WEBSITE. Those webpages are official webpages and unrelated to this stuff. If someone writes a virus named AmaZon would you believe that amazon.com is the website for this virus? Those 2 websites exists for years and this new scareware just used to have the same name. Those behind this stuff (in the meantime linked to someone in Russia) released the PC Defender a few years ago and now just named their new software MAC Defender.

There is no website for this 'company' or scareware. And of cause you can't contact those behind it as they obviously don't want to be reached by anyone (as otherwise the police would knock on their door pretty fast).

Proof "PC Defender" = "Mac Defender", as you claim?

You do realize that Mac=PC but PCMac, right? PC means "Personal Computer", which Mac's are. Even old Apple ][+ computers had Microsoft software (Applesoft Basic anyone?) You can run Windows on a Mac, but for some reason, Apple won't let you run MacOS on anything other than their hardware.
MacOS-X, due to it's Linux/BSD heritage requires a user to type in a password or otherwise allow processes to run, or such, so the installer can SUDO, right? But QuickTime has attack vectors too, and iTunes requires QT.... Nevermind.

Welcome to the future. Apple has brazenly declared itself immune to PC viruses and such but since it IS and really always was, but now due to hardware commonality a PC, right down to the GPU and CPU, holds are barred no longer.

edit on 5/20/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

As a developer for Mac and Windows I know the difference very well. And I'm also a bit into IT security (for example I reported a vulnerability to Apple that allows root access without the need an admin password). So I would say that I know more about the MacOS X internals than 99% of all Mac users.

Link for my last post would be this one:
Microsoft links fake Mac AV to Windows scareware gang
edit on 20-5-2011 by UnixFE because: Corrected link

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Okay it looks like the gauntlet might finally be thrown down in regards to Apple's white-tower mentality; a new version of Mac Defender has been released with a new name and updates to circumvent the methods Apple outlined to deal with the original program. If you are interested in reading more on it check out this ZDNet article.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

That's just priceless. Apple are seriously underestimating this whole thing, surely better to be overly cautious to protect their customers I would have thought? Or is that too sensible an idea?

To quote from that site:

If Apple plans to play Whack-a-Mole with these guys, they’re in for months of misery. Just ask any Windows security expert who was around in 2003 and 2004 when Microsoft was learning a similar painful lesson. If each reaction from Apple takes two or three weeks, the bad guys will make a small fortune and Mac users can count on significant pain and anguish.

Surely they should have learnt from Microsoft's mistakes?
- Phoenix
edit on 26/5/2011 by phoenix_zephyr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join