It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Postal Service

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Dear gabby2011,

Nice to see you and Skewed on this thread, hello to both of you. Yes, 99% of the population will need a computer just to apply for a job. I am told that all the time including by my brother who doesn't like computers. Anyone hiring me would already know me or of me, so I didn't know this until my brother told me I try and bring up the consequences of technology on my blog (I don't list it here, not my site). I also discuss it in my business life.

We cannot, nor should we try to, stop technological advances, it never works. What we should do, in my opinion, is retain a backbone of non-technological infrastructure so that we can always go around the technology if need be. If we rely on technology for our decision making then we lose our abilities overtime to live without it, we become it's slave and it becomes our master..

Some people wonder why I start my posts with "Dear" so and so, it is because the art of writing a letter is being lost and the younger one's do not even know proper salutations. In China the written language (picture words) that are so beautiful are being lost because of texting.

Technology replaces technology and the old ways are lost even if some of the machinary still exists, people forget how to use it or repair it. Typewriters are gone and I cannot write long hand because of my arthritis so I am forced to use a computer. I am good enough with them; but, can still use a typewriter (best kind is non-electric). When the postal service is gone, it will never come back. That is my fear.
edit on 19-5-2011 by AQuestion because: typo

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Skewed.

Saved yours for last. I think you are dead on. Having said that, my question now, is how do we operate and communicate when the net goes down, how do we ensure any communication is private? Owning a printing press will not do it as the cost of ink and paper will continue to increase. Paper books are not very green. Be well.

I do not have an answer. However, I can not help but to think about how we communicated, oh lets say 60 years ago, we still got the job done. I do not intend to imply we step back 60 years, but I think there is still a legitimate need for returning to the basics. The biggest hurdle to overcome is the attitude that we have to get things done NOW. I think if we reevaluate the way we did things 60 years ago and with todays technology I think we can come up with a suitable balance that works efficiently for everyone.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Version100

Don't kid yourself about the mail.

Our postal carrier opens and reads our important mail
and there is NOTHING we can do about it.

If you report it then 100% guaranteed you will stop getting
your mail, it will come late or not at all.

A friend in NY told me a while back that he knew someone
who worked in a CA post office and she made sure that drug
shipments were not scanned or opened.

The postal service is like any other entity started by the
government, bloated, out of control and filled with rampant
abuse.

Good riddance if the postal service ends, let them burn.

Dear Version100,

Yes, not everyone in the post office is honest, not everyone in UPS is honest, not everyone in FedX is honest, not everyone in business is honest, not everyone who is unemployed is honest. If you want to see dishonesty look at Wall Street or the banks, look at the person next to you who cheats on their taxes, look at your friend who is cheating on his spouse. Plenty of dishonesty all around. Always will be.

The differance is not efficiency or honesty, it is legal. If they open your mail, they must get a court order or what they find cannot be used as evidence. If they find nothing, they still had to tell a judge, some oversight. Fascist Italy was very efficient; but, how many rights were given up to achieve it?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Skewed.

Saved yours for last. I think you are dead on. Having said that, my question now, is how do we operate and communicate when the net goes down, how do we ensure any communication is private? Owning a printing press will not do it as the cost of ink and paper will continue to increase. Paper books are not very green. Be well.

I do not have an answer. However, I can not help but to think about how we communicated, oh lets say 60 years ago, we still got the job done. I do not intend to imply we step back 60 years, but I think there is still a legitimate need for returning to the basics. The biggest hurdle to overcome is the attitude that we have to get things done NOW. I think if we reevaluate the way we did things 60 years ago and with todays technology I think we can come up with a suitable balance that works efficiently for everyone.

Dear Skewed,

I am looking more at a non-technological backup, redundency. The Fukishima power plant did not appear to have a mechanical option, when the electricity went off, they could not mechanically remove the rods, they had redundency; but, they were all based on having power at the plant. Variety ensures survival, that is Darwin and it goes against the idea of efficiency. In our search to be efficient, we ensure our failure.

Arnold Toynbee, arguably the greatest historian ever, studied hundreds of societies as they rose and fell. He concluded that societies failed when they achieved maximum efficiency because at that point, they could adjust to any change, no wiggle room. An efficient government is the fastest way to lose your freedom.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestionwhat happens when "hate speech" is removed from the internet?

Those who control the definition of "hate speech" control the world.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grizzle2

Originally posted by AQuestionwhat happens when "hate speech" is removed from the internet?

Those who control the definition of "hate speech" control the world.

Dear grizzle2,

That they do. The more precise our language, the more freedom we have. The federal government is also about to require that all things be explained in "plain language" in Constitutional law they call that unconstitutionally vague. Dumb it down and you can give any answer you want.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Like I said, I do not have an answer.

But if you want non-technical, then The Pony Express seems like a good option.
edit on 19-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
the post office will never go away. The reason is not as you would believe. The post office zip code gives the government jurisdiction. Ever wonder why all of the notices you receive from the various agencies comes via the mail? Why not courier? Why not FEDEX? It must come via mail, because the zip gives them automatic jurisdiction. So as long as the various agencies need to have a boot on your neck, the post office will remain.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Hi, just watched a very interesting documentary on this very topic last night. How multitasking with technology has left the human brain unable to totally focus,as well as people feeling they are required to work more,
because of constant updates on their blackberries ,etc.

People have lost their lives to this form of communication,while driving,as well as have lost the ability to truly focus on their children, when they are spending time together. As well as vice versa.

I think you are correct, when you say we can't stop technology, but are we prepared to live and function ,if it should decide to stop? A valid point you brought up.

On a side note, I love that you start your posts by addressing as in a letter.
I think its rather charming.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

I'm no big gov freak, but...

Gov struggles with inefficiency in poart because it has corporate lobbyists up its rectum 24/7.

I don't pity anyone who is so greedy to sell their core values to these lobbyist. Government should not struggle! It doesn't/shouldn't exist to wipe special interests butts, it's existence isn't to steal from the people's wallets, to spend OUR money on a damn thing IT feels it should!

Funny, the public trains in Europe are a model of efficiency and reliability

... and broke too. Amtrax looses approx 15 million a year, here in the US.
Go ahead and struggle day in and day out, make whatever emotional excuse you need to make to justify funding a broken system who pours money down the drain. Spin your economic wheels, moan and groan, scrape by, allow your tax dollars to be squandered away all the while you cry "pity me"

When did it happen that Americans become such dumb aholes that they believe that only something that generates a profit is worth anything?

Love is priceless! My son's laugh is priceless! ATS is priceless! The wise people on here who share their knowledge and understanding is priceless! Seeing my son's eyes light up and the big bear hug I got from him when I allowed him to use my car to take a girl to the prom last month is priceless!
If desiring to "make a profit" makes me a dumb aholes" because I believe their are opportunities out there to conquer (btw, the grit and determination while setting goals and step-by-step, achieving them ARE PRICELESS!) our dreams.
Even if there are many right things about something but in that, there is something wrong in it too.... then it's wrong and needs to be re-assessed!

Guess what, my four kids cost me out the yang, but I don't drown them in the bath tub. Right, you are drowing America in the bathtub...and doing it with the glee of a blind zealot.

You need to take a deep breath Ms! That hate you harbor will kill you from the inside out. You sound like the very reason why men turn their heads elsewhere. Moaning and groaning and name calling gets you an ulcer and causes me to break into the giggles
Further proof of someone spinning their wheels never moving forward in our great land of opportunities!
Lead by emotion instead of logic if you wish, maybe you should move out of this country if you are so miserable that you have to bring up that you "don't drown your children in the bathtub! Why in the world would you want to place responsibility and blame on someone YOU DONT KNOW of what a sick woman did to her children?

Please take a deeeeep breath, every thing is ok.

God I hate FOX and the Right and there insatiable love of ignorance

I agree

Know what? I hate people who suck their teeth after eating a meal.

If you wish to fund sinkholes, be my guest. I don't wish to.
Btw, I'm a Constitutional Conservative... ewwwwww.
Peace to you
edit on 20-5-2011 by sweetliberty because: to finish a sentence

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Good! More tax dollars saved...and useless people put in their place...better get that degree or practice saying "Would you like fries with that? Would you like to supersize that?"

Sorry but I think today I just found why they coined the term "going postal" because a lot of them are just angry useless people!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Good! More tax dollars saved...and useless people put in their place...better get that degree or practice saying "Would you like fries with that? Would you like to supersize that?"

Sorry but I think today I just found why they coined the term "going postal" because a lot of them are just angry useless people!

It is pretty sad to see people say that every postal employee is useless or evil or greedy. The person delivering your mail does not get money from lobbiests (referance to a prior post), does not write the laws and is not lazy, they are on a schedule and they meet it, you get your mail. People need to stop generalizing against all government employees, they are not the problem, the leadership is and no I don't work for the Postal service.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join