It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Postal Service

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The US Postal Service is going bankrupt, that is the truth and it will not get better. Postal Service Bankrupcy. E-Mail is replacing letters and texting does not help. What happens when postal service is exclusively owned by private companies which do not fall under the same regualtions regarding privacy?

How will we be able to communicate privately? Your cell phone offers no privacy, the internet is not protected and the infrastructure for the post office is being eliminated. You can see it as a conspiracy or as good business; but, it has an effect. Travel is being restricted and heavily monitored, so, how do we communicate in the future privately?

In the book Farenheit 451, people become keepers of knowledge by memorizing books. Are we trained to do that anymore? Oral histories worked; but, people were trained. Libraries are closing all over the US, that is also a fact. Not long ago a man wrote a book on how to be a gentle pedophile (yes, disgusting) and it was removed from Amazon, what happens when "hate speach" is removed from the internet? I do not condone hate speech, it is a question of their right, your right, my right to free speech. History shows how this goes.

I called the person who claims the world will end on May 21st a pervert and a moron. I am a Christian and he is a false prophet. In France, I could go to jail for that. Bridget Bardot went to jail for saying that Muslims were bad because of how they treated animals (she is an animal rights advocate). Just some things to consider.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

People should have thought about this a little more before they got hooked on all this great "convenient" technology. By adopting this technology the way we have has only made the job that much easier in the end. We did this to ourselves, had people thought about this before they rushed out to get the latest and greatest hand held texting device, this issue, may not have been an issue now. Does the saying look before you leap have any meaning still?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Iam sure the post office will one day close but not for a wile.
But if you want to send a letter that you dont want anyone to read use UPS or FED-X.
It is a very good commentary you wrote and I agree with you 100%.
But what elese can you do?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The edge of that slippery slope was stepped off of years ago. In my life time alone (40 years) I have seen things change so much it makes my head spin. Sadly, my children dont see it because it is the world they grew up in and have become numb to it. Big brother lurks around every corner and what we once thought we were as a nation and as a race (human) is so far from what we are today.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I hope so. I can't wait to rip that mailbox from the front yard.

I keep a trash can right next to it.

Everyday it's open the box and dump in trash, open the box dump in trash.

I found out they wont just not deliver your mail. They'll threaten it for a while because they assume you want to receive mail but once they figure you dont want your mail they start harassing you and threatening you with fines and bills. Typical gov kind of crap.

Mail should be an occasional event when necessary and should be priced accordingly. More expensive to send and occurs much less frequently. Maybe two deliveries a month tops.

Maybe then people will learn to appreciate the written letter.

No more of this mass mailing garbage crap.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I used to, and I might start again doing something about this. Whenever I got a unsolicited letter or whatever that had a postage paid return envelope in it I would take that envelope and fill it with as much junk as I could cram in to it. Then I would seal it up and mail it back to where it came from. The company would then have to pay for all that junk to be mailed back to them, the more weight the envelope had the more the company would have to pay.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Privacy and freedom of speech. Both are gifts we should always do our best to defend

Imo, the post offices shouldn't continue to operate as they are poorly ran by the government, just as the government poorly runs trains and now some of the auto industry. The business never make a real profit.
I too am concerned about our privacy when sending letters but I would trust FedX or a private owned company with it before the government. Business like FedX would have a lot to lose if their reputation became tainted from getting into our mail.

I didn't realize Bridget Bardot was jailed for speaking out, wow. Imo, the greedy morons running the governments needs to toughen up and allow us to voice our opinions without fear of being censored or fear of our books being banned

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Has anyone phoned Kevin Costner about this?
He will jump on his horse and sort it all out.

Very sorry for the joke,it actually sounds bad .

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by john1287

Iam sure the post office will one day close but not for a wile.
But if you want to send a letter that you dont want anyone to read use UPS or FED-X.
It is a very good commentary you wrote and I agree with you 100%.
But what elese can you do?

Dear John1287,

I am more concerned about the impact than the time frame. It is coming and we still have time to consider what will occur. As for UPS and FedX, the laws that apply to the US Postal Service do not apply to private companies. Banning books has always been fought, refusing to sell a book online is easy (consider Amazon's refusal to sell a book by someone who was telling pedophile's how to be gentle when they did it a couple of months back). When we stop printing books you will only have access via your Kindle or whatever. In the end I think this is a conversation that people should be having before the infrastructure for publishing and protected mail is gone.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bruisedhalo
The edge of that slippery slope was stepped off of years ago. In my life time alone (40 years) I have seen things change so much it makes my head spin. Sadly, my children dont see it because it is the world they grew up in and have become numb to it. Big brother lurks around every corner and what we once thought we were as a nation and as a race (human) is so far from what we are today.

That is part of my point, once it is gone, future generations will not know what they lost.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Dear thisguyrighthere,

E-Mail is just as loaded with spam. No, more so. The issue is one of losing our ability to communicate outside of the internet or technology is my fear. Don't put your eggs all in one basket and that is what we are doing for convenience sake.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty

Privacy and freedom of speech. Both are gifts we should always do our best to defend

Imo, the post offices shouldn't continue to operate as they are poorly ran by the government, just as the government poorly runs trains and now some of the auto industry. The business never make a real profit.
I too am concerned about our privacy when sending letters but I would trust FedX or a private owned company with it before the government. Business like FedX would have a lot to lose if their reputation became tainted from getting into our mail.

I didn't realize Bridget Bardot was jailed for speaking out, wow. Imo, the greedy morons running the governments needs to toughen up and allow us to voice our opinions without fear of being censored or fear of our books being banned

Dear sweetliberty,

As for FedX and UPS, they are not under the same laws. Google and others have freely given up people's e-mails to the government and not informed anyone, it had to come out in the news later. UPS and FedX would no doubt do the same.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Sadly, this is what most of the Right wants. They are simpletons who can only think gov=bad business=good, like labotomized cavemen. These idiots are not able to process what would really happen should their FOX NEWS dreams come true. Without a federal post, so much changes it is not even funny. The average citizen will be paying notary publics to validate every piece of billing mail they send out. Small business will not have access to bulk mail rates for all the coupons and local junk mailers (we all b*tch about them, but most have used some bit that has come in and it is the main marketing avenue for small business to local addresses, short of radio and cable TV.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

People should have thought about this a little more before they got hooked on all this great "convenient" technology. By adopting this technology the way we have has only made the job that much easier in the end. We did this to ourselves, had people thought about this before they rushed out to get the latest and greatest hand held texting device, this issue, may not have been an issue now. Does the saying look before you leap have any meaning still?

Dear Skewed.

Saved yours for last. I think you are dead on. Having said that, my question now, is how do we operate and communicate when the net goes down, how do we ensure any communication is private? Owning a printing press will not do it as the cost of ink and paper will continue to increase. Paper books are not very green. Be well.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

I'm no big gov freak, but get so tired of the trite Right with their black and white simplistic thinking. Gov struggles with inefficiency in poart because it has corporate lobbyists up its rectum 24/7. Funny, the public trains in Europe are a model of efficiency and reliability. Maybe it is because the people in Europe VALUE the trains and the civil servants who labor to keep it operational. Maybe they thing such men and women desrve a living wage for the service they provide. Maybe Europeans have the WISDOM of understanding that not all solutions follow grade school level (e.g. FOX NEWS) thinking in regards to profit and loss. In other wrods, maybe they are able to comprehend that some things have essential societal value beyond their ability to produce profit.

When did it happen that Americans become such dumb aholes that they believe that only something that generates a profit is worth anything? Guess what, my four kids cost me out the yang, but I don't drown them in the bath tub. Right, you are drowing America in the bathtub...and doing it with the glee of a blind zealot.

God I hate FOX and the Right and there insatiable love of ignorance.
edit on 19-5-2011 by pajoly because: fixes...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Too many post offices is the problem. Locally our town of 20k people has 4 offices and they are only going to close one of them and the people act like it's the end of the earth. The next one is really only 4 blocks away but heaven forbid they close their office. The young people think it's funny one of my interns said he hasn't even thought about mail he never uses it.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Too many post offices is the problem. Locally our town of 20k people has 4 offices and they are only going to close one of them and the people act like it's the end of the earth. The next one is really only 4 blocks away but heaven forbid they close their office. The young people think it's funny one of my interns said he hasn't even thought about mail he never uses it.

Dear mikellmikell,

They will reduce the number of post offices (legislation is pending right now that allows the post offices to be closed as needed, cost efficiency). It will not die off overnight, it will be a gradual process that will make using the post office harder and harder until nobody cares and it is destroyed completely. That is how you eliminate something without having a public outcry.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell

Now this, I agree 100%. Only the sorting locations are needed. I can buy stamps at the grocery or online for that matter. Sell the real estate assets and get out of the retail work.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

In many ways we were forced into some of it. I myself would never even have purchased a computer,had it not been for my children ,who needed one for the purposes of their education. Now you pretty much need one to apply for most jobs.

Its the same reason I purchased a cell phone the first time. So my children could reach me ,in case of emergency. Did I realize I was giving up my rights to privacy..hell no , but then again they didn't want us to know that.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Don't kid yourself about the mail.

Our postal carrier opens and reads our important mail
and there is NOTHING we can do about it.

If you report it then 100% guaranteed you will stop getting
your mail, it will come late or not at all.

A friend in NY told me a while back that he knew someone
who worked in a CA post office and she made sure that drug
shipments were not scanned or opened.

The postal service is like any other entity started by the
government, bloated, out of control and filled with rampant
abuse.

Good riddance if the postal service ends, let them burn.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join