It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google boss: anti-piracy laws would be disaster for free speech

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

you might be right not somthing i have checked into but i was using that as an example of what can be sent and downloaded basicly anything.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

Wrong, the only thing that a torrent site holds is a text document with some information on it. Nothing more, that is why it is not illegal. The torrent site doesn't host the files at all.

To the next reply, yes, this is true of the internet. You can start a blog, hide archives in pictures, and no one would know a thing. There are many ways to hide stuff in plain site on the net, and really no way to stop it. All the censoring in the world, people always find a way around it. All the censoring does is piss of the legit internet users.
edit on Thu, 19 May 2011 19:44:15 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

It is already covered by patent law and contract law. It is a civil matter and the US government should stay the heck OUT OF IT!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

right the files are on other peoples computers like the old napster and those type sites. so the site alone is not doing anything illegal we established this already.

oh yeah forgot to add this but dont they supply the means of transfer?
edit on 19-5-2011 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

Never said anything about google being about freedom of speech, just freedom of data. If i own something, its mine, i can do what i want with it. I can stick it on the internet. People can borrow it from me.

It means that they are willing to fight the cyberwar, you have to remember everyone isn't TPTB, and google was started by kids my age, who knows we will find out eventually. I'm not calling any bets, i'm just saying its a very unexpected move, also you need 50 or so words to post, so space filler.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

Sorry, I think we let ourselves get dragged a bit offtopic. Torrent sites are not the only site at risk with these measure.

They want to shut down ATS for example. They have one of their sock puppets start "breaking copyright laws", then filter it. ATS would then have to take the government to court to prove that this is not in fact a piracy site. Any small sites such as blooger/independant small media would just have to take it on the chin. They don't have money to hire a lawyer and take on corrupt government.

I applaud google for taking a stand, and having a clear gasp of the danger this legislation is.
edit on Thu, 19 May 2011 19:52:36 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

ok i agree a bit off topic and a bad example to start off with in the case of file sharing. but a site like this has no reason whatsoever to be shut down or any other like it.

keep searching for truth

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

And our Norwegian government just proposed this anti piracy law today..
Funny about the timing considering this article..
The new law will not only involve national firewall to block p2p or similar websites, but they will also implement a kill-switch so they can kill the internet line of the user who got caught downloading.

Worst part is that they wont even send you a warning before they use the kill switch.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Man, maybe ATS should set up an alternate in TOR, just in case.....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Not only a disaster for free speech but the net as a whole. It will become cable TV pt.2(see AT&T internet service).
Good job Google for representing, thought they were more tied to restrictions finanacially, but they will loose money and options as well and nice to see them standing for what the people will loose. Such as with Youtube, it's already watched and restricted, but it's all some have for videos and music. I bet the anti-piracy laws will also target many "non pirated" videos of Youtube.

Dear America,Inc.,

We the people, or as your company states it "consumers",of America, Inc., find this very unjust.

edit on 19-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by doom27

A big hell yes to google, i find it very surprising they would make this move. I hope with these actions it will push for more people speaking up for the freedom of the internet. Many people believe google is in bed with TPTB, but this definitely sheds new light on google.

Does this change you opinion of google? Its definatly changed mine a bit.

I hope the United States, UK, and other countries will realize they are being just like china blocking DNS on something their country does not own, can't wait to see what comes out of this.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I think my opinion of Google has just change a little bit just as your opinion has doom27.

Well now this is interesting!

File sharing is pretty much an integral part of the net. This is the very definition of freedom!

When it comes to the law against piracy then guess what? If privacy (and piracy) laws conflict with legal laws then who is truly to blame? honestly! The law is the law right? How many higher-ups use the law and loopholes to escape persecution!?

I think that the elite don't like this double standard!

Peace,

-AS-
edit on 19-5-2011 by AeonStorm because: added + corrected

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
hello me again i found this kind of off topic but about google.
www.wimp.com...
theres already filtering going on so in a sence thats censorship
edit on 19-5-2011 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join