It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA-backed warrantless search bill advances in California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

RIAA-backed warrantless search bill advances in California

arstechnica.com

If you run a CD or DVD duplication company and you're based in California, you may soon be subject to warrantless searches in order to "fight piracy." California Senate Bill 550, introduced by Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima), has slowly begun making its way through the state legislature as a way to cut down on counterfeit discs, but critics worry that it may open the door to Fourth Amendment violations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aroundthecapitol.com
www.latimes.com

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I find it supremely ironic that once the efforts of the RIAA and other such combines began to lobby our government to act as their enforcement agents in the defense of "their" property (which merits debate in and of itself) our elected representatives hopped on the wagon train citing the vital importance of intellectual property rights... and began to legislate so people could be identified and pursued for their 'transgressions.'

Many complained loudly, "Go after the real pirates who mass produce counterfeit media products and distribute them, not the little guys who surf the web.".... but no, people have been sued and some even hounded to the point of madness.....

Now... finally. when the law threatens those businesses who are equipped to actually mass produce 'stolen' music and movies....

Our legislators are deeply concerned about the Fourth Amendment rights of these businesses......

Are we learning yet?

arstechnica.com
edit on 19-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Unfortunately, we are not learning. We sit back day by day as our liberties are chipped away little by little. There will be no uprising of the people in righteous fury. We will go gently into that good night. I wonder how history will remember the experiment in liberty that was America?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What? You cant see how some corporate money wielding governmental power using guns and jails to increase their profits save us all from terrorists and rapists?

You must be crazy!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I find it supremely ironic that once the efforts of the RIAA and other such combines began to lobby our government to act as their enforcement agents in the defense of "their" property (which merits debate in and of itself) our elected representatives hopped on the wagon train citing the vital importance of intellectual property rights... and began to legislate so people could be identified and pursued for their 'transgressions.'

Many complained loudly, "Go after the real pirates who mass produce counterfeit media products and distribute them, not the little guys who surf the web.".... but no, people have been sued and some even hounded to the point of madness.....

Now... finally. when the law threatens those businesses who are equipped to actually mass produce 'stolen' music and movies....

Our legislators are deeply concerned about the Fourth Amendment rights of these businesses......

Are we learning yet?

arstechnica.com
edit on 19-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

Outstanding analysis of the situation. Bravo.

I get emotional over these kinds of things. What America should be, the concepts of liberty, freedom from oppression...these are the things that make me emotional. Watching Oz (from HBO) today, i watched the episode where the Chinese refugees were moved in. Seeing their plight, that is the kind of story that can make me cry. My wife tells me i am a liberty-sap.

I am watching this whole "anti-piracy" thing with great interest. I find it odd that so much more effort is put into stopping e-piracy, while Somalians continue to hold people and boats hostage for ransom. I question their selective process of our government and how they choose what actions to take and when, and wonder if they are just going after low hanging fruit.
edit on 19-5-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
All copyright laws should be repealed.

Ron Paul would do that.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
One has to shake one's head at the illogical concept of protecting rights by stripping away others. Pay careful note that this is an organization of for profit enterprises seeking this law. In other words, corporation have NO interest in basic Rights; their sole interest is in profit. This is an essential point that should have presented them from gaining their current status as "super citizens" now endowed by the Courts with personhood status, despite the fact that a corporation cannot die, be held accountable by incarceration, etc.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Ron Paul would do that.

Yeah. Just like Obama was going to close Gitmo. Maybe there is just enough fairy dust left to make that magic happen?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Ron Paul would do that.

Yeah. Just like Obama was going to close Gitmo. Maybe there is just enough fairy dust left to make that magic happen?

You have to believe, bro.

Believe in the magic.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Google boss says preety well

Google boss: anti-piracy laws would be disaster for free speech

Google's executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, warned on Wednesday that government plans to block access to illicit filesharing websites could set a "disastrous precedent" for freedom of speech. Eric Schmidt claims search giant would fight attempts to restrict access to sites such as the Pirate Bay.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Ron Paul would do that.

we have to believe hard enough and clap our hands.......

While I am aware of Dr. Paul's stance on the matter, and I truly respect his position and tendency to value the principles upon which our national was promised to be founded; I feel that the saturation of corporate interests within the government will block nearly any move to limit their super-citizen status.

Personally, we need to strip corporations of their citizen status (and reconsider the 'unique' protections they enjoy)... they are not human, not mortal, and prone to reject loyalty to their host communities in deference to profit.... (just ask Big Oil) what the hell kind of 'citizen' is that?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Google boss says preety well

Google boss: anti-piracy laws would be disaster for free speech

Google's executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, warned on Wednesday that government plans to block access to illicit filesharing websites could set a "disastrous precedent" for freedom of speech. Eric Schmidt claims search giant would fight attempts to restrict access to sites such as the Pirate Bay.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I will always agree with free speech. But I think Google is only saying what the public wants to hear; because at the end of the day they will be the 'tool' that government's expect to 'use.'

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Personally, we need to strip corporations of their citizen status (and reconsider the 'unique' protections they enjoy)... they are not human, not mortal, and prone to reject loyalty to their host communities in deference to profit.... (just ask Big Oil) what the hell kind of 'citizen' is that
reply to post by Maxmars

yeah and how are you gonna do that? I hear so many people saying this and screaming for it.. But what is the solution to doing that. But knowone is doing naything about it. At least to my knowledge.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The RIAA and those state congressman who vote for this are traitors to America.

Warrantless searches? IT'S FREAKING UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

And the worst of it? Lots of pro-RIAA scumbags are in the Obama administration and Obama loves to lick their boots.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

There is desire. There is a simmering rage. All that is needed is someone to galvanize The People. A catalyst.

All I know is that whatever way humanity tends to sway, i try to sway the opposite. People are crazy.
Regardless, where ever there is a fight for true liberty in America, I am there. Drop me a line.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Lets hope your catalyst comes on to the scene soon.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

well, i am low on ammo right now. so i hope it isn't too soon.

new topics

top topics

join