It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is at the center and edge of the universe??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Surely at the center there must be some sort of left over from the big bang hanging around, maybe even a black hole?

And imagine if we could get to the edge of the universe what would it be like? Would there be some sort of inpenetrable wall where the universe meets 'nothing'? Or would you be able to pass through and see what 'nothing' actually is and how much 'nothing' is there available for the universe to expand into. I know its impossible to get to the edge of the universe now, but who knows once the universe starts collapsing in on itself that would be the chance!? Just imagine what questions we could answer if we ever did get to the edge of the universe.

Maybe we will one day, I bet in the 1800's they thought it impossible that a human would ever get on the moon.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

If the universe is infinite, you are at the center.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
But surely its only classed as infinite because its moving away from us faster than we could ever catch up? When it starts to collapse in then we wont be saying its infinite.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Surely at the center there must be some sort of left over from the big bang hanging around, maybe even a black hole?

Hmm, well not a black hole as they are caused by collapsing stars with huge mass, and since the big bang was the beginning of the universe and all matter came after, no, no black hole there.

As the universe is expanding it would be impossible to actually pin point the center, but I wouldn't expect anything to be there as everything started in a singularity, a single point, and moved outwards from there, expanding the universe, so I'd suspect the very center to actually be devoid of anything as we all started there and are moving away from it, and each other.

As for what's on the other side of the edge? Who knows, it's one of those questions that not even quantum physics will really approach right now. I'd suspect, if our theories are correct, either you'd simply warp back as if one side of the universe leads to the other. Imagine walking left to right across a tv screen, when you leave the right side, you appear on the left again.

That would be the logical choice currently

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Christians, surely .... or a creamy nougat .. ok sorry..

I'm not sure what might be at the center, I sometimes think it would need to be a black hole .. a large, dense mass that after the bang, will eventually pull everything back in and start over..
edit on 19-5-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
To believe that the universe will collapse on itself, you would have to recognize that there is a great force from outside the universe pushing inward.

How else could it collapse?

A force from within causing it to "pull itself in?" giving the impression that it is collapsing from the outside?

Seriously, I don't know.

I personally believe that you would not so much SEE what's at the edge of the universe, as much as you would FEEL something.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Hmm, well not a black hole as they are caused by collapsing stars with huge mass, and since the big bang was the beginning of the universe and all matter came after, no, no black hole there.

I don't know about that... a black hole is caused by collapsing stars, but nothing says that it is exclusively caused by collapsing stars... what if prior to the big bang, this universe WAS just one big massive star .. it had to have been something .. all of what exists came from that explosion.. what if we are the remnants of that and at the center is a giant black hole..

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
To believe that the universe will collapse on itself, you would have to recognize that there is a great force from outside the universe pushing inward.

How else could it collapse?

A force from within causing it to "pull itself in?" giving the impression that it is collapsing from the outside?

Seriously, I don't know.

I personally believe that you would not so much SEE what's at the edge of the universe, as much as you would FEEL something.

I disagree, something doesn't have to be pushing from the outside, it could be pulling from the inside.. again, as a black hole would do

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Im pretty sure its a scientific certainty that one day the universe will collapse in on its self? I could have heard wrong though.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
Im pretty sure its a scientific certainty that one day the universe will collapse in on its self? I could have heard wrong though.

If the center is one gigantic black hole then it would have to eventually .. and then it would start over again as all of the mass came back together.. a lot of scientists do believe that this is a cyclical process

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
What if there are bends and turns, would the center be a center line?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
What if there are bends and turns, would the center be a center line?

One theory has it that the universe is not infinite and that it's rather round or oval in shape .. a large bubble really, if something comes to the "edge" it just travels along the walls of the bubble eventually coming back to where it began.. the bubble is still expanding, but it's believed it will eventually stop and reverse..

I guess it would depend on the exact shape of the bubble .. and of course would depend on the theory being true

It's interesting to think in these terms.. we could be an atomic spec on the underside of some larger being's shoe.. our idea of time could seem stretched out to years whereas we may only actually exist for a split second to that being.. can you even fathom the possibilities?
edit on 19-5-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Yes, I can. But I ment more like how can 1 describe. Yes those large bubble makers where you dip the bubble pad and kinda walk or run andit makes like a cylindrical linear shape that curves or bends for a distance from beginning to end. Creating a center point that isnt constant in one location but is centered within shape of energy containment. Making exterior hard to decipher do to uncommon shaping or serpentining.
edit on 5/19/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Actually I believe the "Big Crush" as they have dubbed the implosion was proven false. We have found that the universe is speeding up in its movement outwards, meaning its more like an actual explosion fizzling out after it expands. They now say that eventually the bonds between particles will pulled and stretched to the point where they break aswe continue to expand and that the end will be EVERYTHING falling apart at the particle level, sub-atomic level as the bonds are broken. Imagine throwing a firecracker after lighting it; Once it explodes there is a brilliant outward movement of the energy and once that energy equalizes with the ambient preassure it stabalizes and disappears. This happens in our view in a fraction of a second so we don't see the full process of energy expansion (check out high speed camera footage of explosives). But good question as to what is beyond because it plays a major factor in the survival of our universe. Personally I think it is an anti-verse of complete static structures that never change surrounded by pure chaos. Not a place we would want to go.

To clarify I believe the center of our universe is where the anti-verse's anti-matter is converted to actual matter in our universe and the edge is where our matter is sucked into the anti-verse and made back into anti-matter. And the cycle kepps going and going and going lol. Just IMO of course.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Mikemp44 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2011 by Mikemp44 because: Clarification

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hmm you lost me a bit on that one

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Think of the anti-verse this way, everything is opposite and behaves counter to what we know.

We already know the universe has both matter and anti-matter, and when the collide they release pure energy and annihlate each other. So energy is the vessel for which matter and anti-matter switch states with each other. Kinda leads to the inference that there exists and anti-universe, one that exists opposit to us in the same space. Kinda like a mirror reflection.

I know thats a lot to take in and process, I'm no expert this is just from what I've read/watched.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I know this isn't the answer you are wanting... but your consciousness is what is at the center *and* edge of the universe.

Everything else is a holographic visualization.

Now as for within the hologram... we can't say for sure whether it will expand forever or collapse, because the rate of expansion hasn't been the same as best can be deciphered, therefore it is capable of change, therefore we can only discuss current trends knowing that those trends aren't just possible to change, but *likely* to change.

I do like the anti-verse feeding the universe and vice-versa concept.

Namaste!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
according to religion...

Your Soul is (at) the center of the universe
and your Soul will journey to the edge of the material universe as it enters 'Heaven'

both these infinities are within your mind & intellect & are OF the spiritual soul's dimension...
a nano-step from infinity

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard

And imagine if we could get to the edge of the universe what would it be like?
I don't know if they're right or not, but scientists say there is no center. And depending on the shape of the universe, there may or may not be an edge:

What is at the edge of the Universe ?

The short answer is that there isn't any "edge" to the Universe, as in the edge of your school grounds where there is more property beyond. Science fiction and other dimensions aside, the best way of looking at the Universe is to think of the surface of a balloon. Right now the "balloon" is expanding (being blown up) so the distance between any two points on the balloon is increasing. However, there is no edge to the surface of the balloon. This is where cosmologists (people who study the physical nature and evolution of the Universe) and relativists (people who study Einstein's general theory of relativity) talk about a curved space-time continuum.
So if they're right about the shape of the universe having curved space-time, it has no edge.

It would be like a flat Earther getting in a plane to fly to the edge of the earth. Just keep flying East, and you never find an edge of the Earth, in fact you end up back where you started. If scientists are right, the universe may work similarly; keep traveling in one direction and you might end up back where you started, except you'd have to be going faster than the speed of light to do that.

Weird, I know, but that's what they say.
edit on 19-5-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I actually reside in somewhat this same theory of thought. There is no center and no edge of the Universe because the energy involved in speeding up to reach the edge is where relativity breaks down and if relativity doesn't break down then something has to give, and space time is that something that gives. Like folding over in a way. The closer you approach the edge the more you find yourself in the center.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join