It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Will Announce Billions In Economic Aid to Egypt, Tunisia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

President Barack Obama will announce plans Thursday to funnel billions of dollars in economic aid to Egypt and Tunisia as part of a broader effort to inject democracy into the Middle East and North Africa.

The president’s speech will focus largely on the need to tie economic modernization to democratic change. He will note that the nonviolent protests in the region have stemmed largely from large populations of frustrated young people who can’t find work.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Wow, good thing there's no americans that are frustrated looking for jobs!

Personally I think this is beyond outrageous, this man thinks money grows on trees

This combined with all the wars and universal healthcare, this is the most spendthrift President in the history of the U.S.

What an insane move, they won't cut spending but they will just keep throwing money at problems whether domestic or not.

Jordan too

"I'm pleased to announce that we have mobilized several hundreds of millions of dollars through OPEC and that will leverage ultimately about a billion dollars for economic development inside of Jordan," Obama said. "In addition, because of the huge spike in commodity prices throughout the world, we are going [to] be providing 50,000 metric tons of wheat to Jordan."

firstread.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 19-5-2011 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We Americans are too stupid and sheepish to care or stop what is going on...

We are in collapse, as Rome once was.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Tell you what OBAMA...you raise that money on your own without reaching into our pockets.
Go for it.

If not.

well....

thats too bad for you in the upcomming election.

Do I really need to state how broke we are as a nation.

What makes this POS think he can just give BILLIONS of our dollars away?

Is he really THAT insane??

Bye Bye Obama. It wasnt nice knowing ya. Make some room for someone who knows WTF they are doing.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I read this story with my morning coffee and I am just dumbfounded. It is pretty clear where the agenda lies. We are nation building in nations that have been destabilized by our own actions and policies. Egypt?? wow. Egypt is a hot bed for the breeding and development of terrorists and has been for years due to the safety of the US approved cloak covering the nation.

Bad move for Obama. Bad. Billions that are better spent in the US or better yet not spent at all.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The Fall of America. The Collapse is coming.

I just have a feeling something big is going to happen soon now that they purportedly killed Osama Bin Laden.
They need to Create another False-Flag to perpetuate or escalate the wars.

Look how they throw your money away.

The Op's Avatar is all too fitting Captain America Defeated!!!
edit on 19-5-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Slightly ot/excuse my ignorance, but if O'crapa places U.S. On "martial law" what happens with the elections? Will there still be one?

Sorry, dont kno@ where to ask this, and not worth starting a thread over

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
put simply the U.S. needs to be more like Canada
they should really emulate Canada before it collapses

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
obama is such a player and i hate political players, eventually they'll sink into their own sh*t.

i'm not pissed of that hes helping other countries, i'm pissed off because hes helping the wrong countries. what about palestine and yemen or Ethiopia, iraq and other poor countries?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Why dont people just start calling those "aid" packages what the are? Bribes. Bribes to sitting governments in nations various economic interests want to exploit that we the people pay for, rather than the various economic interests who gain the benefit of said exploitation.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hindenburg

He isnt "helping" anyone but the rich people who fund his campaign and who wield a lot of power in Washington.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

well that makes things worse then. what a shame.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The US has been sending Egypt over a $ billion annually for over 30 years. Is it somehow ok when it goes into Mubarek's pocket? Or is it because Obama needs to be scrutinized for doing so? Or is it because money for relief of foreign contries in which we have an interest is wrong? I don't really see any difference with this than I saw last year.
Egypt is nothing more than an American investment at this point. Think about it.

We send Israel billions too. It's what the US does. If you're going to slam one fund, slam them all.

I don't like Obama either, but this really isn't anything new. Our governement has been doing things exactly like this, regardless of our economic state, for decades and decades.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
put simply the U.S. needs to be more like Canada
they should really emulate Canada before it collapses

While I thank you for the find, I do not agree that America needs to emulate Canada.
We need to go back to the original construct of American, not a newer version of with influence from (add any country).

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Thats the whole problem.

Thats why this country is in the mess it is now.

These monies dont go to the needy, and we all know that.

That is WHY they shouldnt be getting the aid.
That (in most cases) ends up propping up corrupt govts anyways.

Thats why most of the PEOPLE are against it, and GOVTs are FOR it.

Why send the money overseas to not help someone when they can keep the money here and not help someone here?
(I know that sounds confusing, but it was meant to be typed that way).

Its OUR money these bastards have been stealing from us for a VERY long time, and just because our parents and our grandparents put up with it, doesnt mean that we have to. What these govts are doing is a crime against humanity in all rights and purposes.

But thats just my 49 cents.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
While I thank you for the find, I do not agree that America needs to emulate Canada.
We need to go back to the original construct of American, not a newer version of with influence from (add any country).

original construct of America is fine
I don't mean politically or healthcare wise or how their parliament is set up

I just mean Canada not giving aid to every foreign country on the planet and not being in everyone's business

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by macman

original construct of America is fine
I don't mean politically or healthcare wise or how their parliament is set up

I just mean Canada not giving aid to every foreign country on the planet and not being in everyone's business

That I can rally behind.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
The US has been sending Egypt over a $ billion annually for over 30 years. Is it somehow ok when it goes into Mubarek's pocket? Or is it because Obama needs to be scrutinized for doing so?

Keep your partisan projections to yourself. The thread is about this President announcing new bribes to Egypt so that various economic interests can continue the sweet deals they got under Mubarak. I never said in any way shape or form that bribes to Mubarak were somehow less than bribes, nor did I say its "okay" when we do it any where else in the world.

I dont think its okay, anywhere, anytime. It violates free market principles, it violates democratic principles, and to top it all off, it forces your average American to pay the costs of doing business for certain industries and individuals, (some of whom are not even American companies) when those businesses should be paying those costs themselves, OR allowing the market to set the price.

Paying bribes to sitting governments thwarts democracy in those nations. And it is utterly unfair to the people of those nations whose resources are plundered at a discount because their leaders are accepting bribes to allow that, and its also unfair to Americans who pay for those bribes.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

What makes this POS think he can just give BILLIONS of our dollars away?

Oh, don't worry the Obama will just have the bankers print up some more money and then charge us for the money AND the interest

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I just got through watching Obama's MIddle East and Afghanistan speech with great pain. The man has placed more energy and resources into these issues than he has placed on solving the ever growing list of problems that our nation faces domestically. The hypocrisy in the speech is very alarming and actually regurgitated. I had to turn it off.

We are in trouble with a POTUS who has such a laser like focus on the MIddle East and the Responsibility to protect it.

BTW anyone know how many innocents have died in Syria compared to Libya?

Has Obama ever commented on the attacks of Christian churches in Egypt??
global-christian.net...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Its not about the people of the middle east. Its about their resources. Including their bank deposits.

Once people accept that, everything they do makes perfect sense. Its only when you try to accept their version of reality while watching their actions that things get confusing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join