It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Floating Planets Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Free Floating Planets Found

www.bbc.co.uk

Japanese astronomers claim to have found free-floating "planets" which do not seem to orbit a star.

Writing in Nature, they say they have found 10 Jupiter-sized objects which they could not connect to any solar system. They also believe such objects could be as common as stars are throughout the Milky Way.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19/5/11 by folanjo because: I missed a letter off Japanese!!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Japanese scientists have discovered 10 Jupiter sized planets that they cannot connect to any solar system.

Looks to me like Planet X or whatever you want to call it is a possibility. I'm not scaremongering and saying we are going to get it next year. Just saying there is a possibility something is out there.

Sorry this is my first thread, I've included text from the source which is the BBC News website and a link to the source page. I apologise if this is in the wrong forum

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19/5/11 by folanjo because: Additional text inserted

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I see no reason why a space entity that resembles a planet in every way should not exist without a star for it to circle.

For all we know, planets can become dislodged from their orbit, or be created by billions of years of space-debris building up.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
aww you beat me to it!!

found this to further confirm

www.space.com...

sure makes the Planet X/Nibiru people look a little less.....eh

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
and someone found it before both of you.....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Orphoned planets

We need to start an addoption drive.

PS, this is at least thread #3 on this (sorry to be an arse, but you know the score) This may be the most wibble free thread, of the threads though. So I reckon this one should be a keeper.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Sorry! Interesting articles though. Be interesting to see what follows over the coming weeks.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Maybe they do orbit a star its just that the star is so far away that the planets just seem to float through other Solar Systems or even Galaxies? Just a though...Eat away! lol

link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thank you. Id love to know what wibble free means though!

Didn't see the other threads. I was just abit taken aback by the story

link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I searched before posting I swear - this didn't even come up in the search, I found it under "breaking news"

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Already existing Thread here please....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Existing thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by folanjo

Thank you. Id love to know what wibble free means though!

Didn't see the other threads. I was just abit taken aback by the story
Wibble free was my little way of saying that this thread actually has some science in it, and wasn't attempting to tie it into some random Planet X debate.

Wibble, means a bit mad, it's "all gone a bit wibble" I thyink, though I could be wrong, it comes from Black Adder. the one where he wants to get out of the trenches, by sticking a pair of pants on his head, and a pencil up each nostril, whilst saying "wibble" alot. Needless to say, it backfired in true Blackadder fashion.

(Black Adder was a comedy in the UK from the 80s)

Here's a youtube of the sketch
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 19/5/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/5/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

maybe we can get a mod to change the title of the thread to "Rogue Planets: Scientific only, no Planet Xers"

I try to only ever quote reliable sources (or at least MSM sources cause they're harder to debunk). I saw this in several places that I wouldn't consider reliable till the science.com article

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I have to say I love the fact everyone just jumps on to everyones threads saying it was posted here first. Makes me chuckle.

Back to the subject matter though, this information should get all the planet x'ers excited. The science now says the myth could be possible.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I remember now!!!

Love blackadder!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by folanjo
I have to say I love the fact everyone just jumps on to everyones threads saying it was posted here first. Makes me chuckle.

Whats funny is the fact that some people see news from their preferred source, and dont search ATS before starting threads. Now thats a gas

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

I did and I couldn't find anything that wasn't as our fell stated earlier full of wibble! This is just the science and not all the new age stuff everyone else is on about. This is the first time I've posted and to be honest the first time in a long time something I've read has made me go wow. It throws a lot of what we thought we knew on it's head.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That said the thread you posted was awesome ;-)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IIIiIIIIIIiIII

actually, according to astrobiology, there are four types of civilizations:

" Type 0 Civilization

Essentially, our civilization. A type 0 civilization has only just begun to tap planetary resources such as solar power, geothermal power and wind power. Most of its power generation is still based on non-renewable fossil fuel resources, for example, oil, coal and natural gases.
Type 1 Civilization

These civilizations can effectively control the entire resources of their planet; they can predict weather patterns and earthquakes very accurately, and even control them using artificially induced greenhouse effects or space-based lasers. A Type 1 Civilization could conceivably halt an ice-age.
Type 2 Civilization

Type 2 Civilizations have extended their power to their entire Solar System by harnessing the power of their suns through Dyson spheres. Having colonised or at least extensively explored all the planets within their Solar System, they are a largely space-faring race and have already mounted expeditions to other stars using interstellar craft.
Type 3 Civilization

At the cusp of their power, type 3 civilizations span entire galaxies having colonised all the stars by wave after wave of interstellar craft. They can harness the power of galaxies. Astrophysicists theorize that this may be done by exploiting the fact that black holes can be used as a source of energy as they slowly evaporate via Hawking radiation. By utilising the millions of black holes that are believed to reside within galactic nuclei, type 3 civilizations would have sufficient power to conduct truly universe-changing high-energy physics experiments and examine matter down to the Planck length.

At this point, the exact potential of type 3 civilizations becomes unclear due to our hazy knowledge of ultrahigh-energy physics. It is conceivable (as physicists such as Michio Kaku and Lawrence Krauss believe) that such energies could unravel matter down to the superstring length and thus possibly access other dimensions. However, we must stress that this is only informed conjecture and frankly we'll never know what type 3 civilizations will be able to do until we either become one or encounter one."

that being the case, if planet x/nibiru exists they would have the technology to move their home world and seek out new solar systems having already exhausted the resources of their own suns...

if phycisists categorize civilizations in this manner, there is no reason NOT to believe that a planet COULD move around freely without the need of a star to orbit...

if anything, this report lends credence to the idea that such civilizations ALREADY exist...

top topics

join