It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Pledges Wheat and Cash for Jordan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
President Obama Pledges Wheat and Cash for Jordan

To help stabilize the region, the President promised to ultimately leverage $1 billion for economic development inside of Jordan, in response to global spikes in commodity prices.

The aid deal includes "mobilizing several hundreds of millions of dollars through OPEC," the President said, after noting that "The American people feel great affection for the Jordanian people."

There's also a direct drop of crops: "We are going to be providing 50,000 metric tons of wheat to Jordan," President Obama said.

- The USA is in a huge recession.
- More and more of our own people are going hungry.
- Our national debt is so large that we now have virtually no debt ceiling.

Does this deal of Obama's mean that he's giving a billion US dollars away to Jordan, or is he pushing OPEC to give THEIR money to Jordan? Considering that we are in a dire condition and OPEC is rich, I hope it's OPEC that is giving Jordan the money and not us. Anyone know for sure? And why are we giving away our wheat when we have people going without food HERE? If OPEC wants to BUY our wheat, then that's great but it doesn't sound like it. If Obama wants to give away wheat, there are plenty of hungry people here who could use it. Apparently he hasn't seen how much our grocery bills have risen since he's been in office.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Wait, wait...

what is the WTO saying about all of this?

Does this deal of Obama's mean that he's giving a billion US dollars away to Jordan, or is he pushing OPEC to give THEIR money to Jordan?

From the article.

The aid deal includes "mobilizing several hundreds of millions of dollars through OPEC,"

"We are going to be providing 50,000 metric tons of wheat to Jordan," President Obama said.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I just found and read through this link as well...

Obama "mobilizing" money and wheat to stabilize Jordan's King Abdullah economy

That gets me steaming mad. Our economy is not stable. We have American citizens starving in the streets, losing their homes, paying over $4 a gallon for gas just to get to work and hopefully put food on the table.

My favorite line in the article though is of course "Jordan is a friend to Israel" or something like that. Grrr... I have no words....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bad Dog

From the OP article....

There's also a direct drop of crops: "We are going to be providing 50,000 metric tons of wheat to Jordan," President Obama said.

Well now....you know whats really funny????

Wheat Damage Claims May Signal Worse Harvest Than Forecast

Wheat crops in the U.S. Great Plains are showing signs that production may plunge more than the government forecast last week as hot weather and a lack of rain erode plant quality and force farmers to harvest early.

As of May 15, U.S. winter-wheat was in the worst condition since 1996, with 44 percent of fields rated poor or very poor by the government. The National Weather Service estimates rainfall in the past two months was less than half of normal in much of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, where insurance adjuster David Reed said he’s had 300 farmer claims for drought damage in his area this season, already 10 times more than last year.

Sure guys! We can afford to give away 50,000 metric tons of our own wheat to another country!

Edit - Also from the OP article

"All of this will help to stabilize the cost of living and day-to-day situation of Jordanians

Correct me if im wrong, but are Americans not struggling with the cost of living and our day to day situations to?
edit on 19-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
seems like another way for him too fool people into thinking that there is an abundance of food and money avalialable. People might think if the US has enough food and money to throw at other nataions than there must be enough to support the immediate populatuon.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Why?!

We have people here we could use that money on, why do we always have to give money to other people?

We should fix our economy first. It just shows me they don't care about what is going on here.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Along with what you've just posted it seems that Osama, sorry Obama. Is doing the opposite of logical and rational decisions for the people of his nation, you guys in the US are openly being screwed over everyday. Its only a matter of time before we start to get hit EVEN HARDER in the UK with the same Bullsh** you're having to put up with daily.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

If you like that backwardness you'll love what the European Union did with milk.

Europe drowns in milk while...

The EU sent excess milk to African countries, while subsidizing African farms to produce milk, which they subsequently couldn't sell on any market. Putting them in debt and without proper sources of revenue once again.

And that's not the end of these things.

The WTO forbidding Japan from donating excess rice to starving nations in Africa, because "it would interfere with their economy" - an almost non-existent economy.

Or how about the fact that so many go hungry in Africa, but there are food excesses in the US and Europe. How? Food produced in Africa is EXPORTED to Europe and the US - European farmers are told to grow certain crops in order to receive subsidies, while food is taken from Africa leaving people starving.

Our economic authorities are MESSED up.

I found this very telling from the article above:

In spite of this, donors continue to provide food aid in the form of cereal.

How backward is that?
edit on 19-5-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

about $1 billion for economic development inside of Jordan..........So we're very happy to be partnering with His Majesty on that issue.

His Majesty!!! Rofl!!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Laugh all you want, but it is how these people are OFFICIALLY known as. Heck, not referring to them in such a way could net a person a fine, prison sentence or worse. Both for the person not referring to them as such and the news agency that prints it.

It is that ridiculous. If I would ever get the chance to meet royalty I'd salute them with "Hello you hiney-ness"

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
lol for a minute i thought he was going to give Michael Jordan $1 billion dollars.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I am actually for helping out other countries that need assistance. If the people of a country come to America and say "our people are dying of starvation, will you help", I think it's in America's best interest to do so.

UNLESS America is also suffering, which we are due to drought and crazy weather, and have been for years. It's time for America to stop being mommy and daddy to the world for a while and take care of our own for a while.

I wonder if we asked for aid from our so-called allies if we would get assistance or a shrug and a "maybe". I'm betting on the latter.

/TOA

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

As if the UK hasnt done anything you've done enough lol, our PM's are just as much of a F*cking joke as your President haha !

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Thats the scary part of free trade in the USA. Im not sure the US wouldnt export its ag products to the point of American people starving. If the Chinese pay top dollar for corn and soybeans, it would go there instead of feeding people in the US.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Thats the scary part of free trade in the USA. Im not sure the US wouldnt export its ag products to the point of American people starving. If the Chinese pay top dollar for corn and soybeans, it would go there instead of feeding people in the US.

The problem there isn't the "free" part it's the "trade" that's the problem. Might as well call it "free give" since America rarely gets anything back from countries like Jordan. Unless you count the "right" to occupy their sovereign nation, of course.

/TOA

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think it has ZERO to do with helping the Jordanians. I think it has EVERYTHING to do with bribing them into backing a "no state" vote against Palestine.

Remember, Jordan is a "Friend to Israel and America". Perhaps this little hand out is a way of keeping the status quo.

top topics

join