It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Reported Surveillence Activity Ignored by New York Authorities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
In the recent terror warning for the New York, New Jersey and Washington areas one of the requested actions for the public was to report any suspicious photography or videotaping of possible targets.

In a story picked up by TV station WFSB in Hatford Connecticut a delivery driver on the George Washington Bridge in New York reported three men in an automoble videotaping the bridge structure. The delivery drivers report was ingnored in the confusion over jurisdiction by law enforcement.

www.wfsb.com
"I came across a vehicle sitting across from us in traffic, with three middle eastern looking men in it, with a very small palm video camera," said Maney, "We sat across from them for a minimum of 20 minutes and the entire time they were filming structures of the tunnels and the bridge."

Once the men spotted Maney watching, they appeared to become suspicious of him.

"The first time they saw me he instantly put the camera down in his lap and rolled the window up," he said." And every time he got a car length in front of me the camera came back out and he went back to filming."

Maney says he dialed 911 from his cell and he expected a big response.

"We figured the bridge would be shut down with the information I gave them," he said.

Maney says he gave dispatchers a description of the vehicle and a license plate number, but the calls made little progress because no one was sure who was supposed to respond.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No matter how innocent the videotaping may have been law enforcement has an obligation to follow-up on incidents such as this one. The specific request of citizens to report suspicious activity should spur authorities to take action rather than worry about jurisdictional disputes.

The story says that the delivery driver also gave the licence plate number to the 911 dispatch, hopefully with this in the media spotlight law enforcement is following up.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.newsday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ALERT! Surveillance on Terror Threat Buildings Believed to be "Inside Job"
Terrorists in Action/Phone Call Ignored.

[edit on 3-8-2004 by Phoenix]

[edit on 3-8-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I started the thread - Terrorists in action/Phone call ignored.

You are right ... I hope the media does pick up on this. I mean
the MAJOR media. I grew up in Connecticut, and while WFSB
is big there, it's nothing to the rest of the country.

When my mom emailed about it this morning, I sent the info
off to some of the big news places and asked them to carry
it. I encourage anyone here who has the time to do the same.
The more we email/phonecall the news networks, the
greater likely hood the WFSB story will get national air time.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have been waiting for the average citizen to get involved. My worst fears have been realized by the lack of response from the officials sworn to protect us and our nation.
We must demand from our politicians to set-up a national reporting center that would field all information related to possible terrorist activities. This would work.
I had a recent problem on a local level when I discovered a water main leaking on my street. After four phone calls to different agencies the water department and fire department responded. Several hours later the water main was repaired. This is the same problem we now face with the terrorist threat.

join