It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countdown to Backpedaling - May 21st 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

A fundamentalist Christian group, "We Can Know", has recently paid for a series of billboards in Florda, Indiana, Ohio and other places around the United States. These billboards state prominently that Jesus Christ will return on May 21st, 2011.

In response, a Washington-state call in show, Ask an Atheist has a regular segment called "Countdown to Backpedaling", in anticipation of the stilted explanations and hand waving after this day passes unheeded, as it has time and time again.

For more information as time goes on, feel free to check the 'Countdown to Backpedaling' portion of our site. "Ask an Atheist" is a live, weekly educational call-in program dedicated to atheism, skeptical inquiry and the separation of church and state. It premiered on SCAN Community Public Access in Seattle on June 6, 2010 and has regular viewers in over thirty countries.

SOURCE

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Although I'm not an atheist I do find this pretty funny. I very much doubt the rapture will come in two days and it's going to be interesting to see the response from the believers.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I just hope if there really is a rapture, make it on a monday morning, make it easier on us stiking around when i show up late at work eheheheh

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

it says right in the bible that no-one will know when the Rapture will happen....so how do these people know? im sure nothing will happen, and they will just move on to a different date

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

yep, that's what ive been saying in all of these pointless threads. Is religion some fashion statement now days or something? The amount of people I see believing this is ridiculous because it CLEARLY states, noone will know, not even the angels. Only God.

I'm an atheist btw.

P.s if nothing happens they'll blame it on something stupid like his car broke down...

edit on 19/5/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
And counting... A question about the rapture has it something to do with flatulence?

If so the 'Ask an Atheist' crew will be deeply concern as the rapture occurs rather regularly around here!

Feeling sorry for those who believe this tripe as on Monday morning they will again find themselves alive and well most probably late for work with the stupid excuse that the world was going to end. If it gets you a Monday off we should have regular weekend raptures don't you think?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

it says right in the bible that no-one will know when the Rapture will happen...

HAH

Care to point out WHERE in the bible a rapture is even mentioned?

Or are you talking about the American-centrist made-up-notion of a rapture? You know, scare tactics played on the public by million-dollar-mansion owning pastors and priests.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
Although I'm not an atheist I do find this pretty funny. I very much doubt the rapture will come in two days and it's going to be interesting to see the response from the believers.

It will probably be like any other day... in that our world will once again brink on chaos and catastrophe.

But I don't know anyone who can lay claim to being close enough to random fate or the Almighty, to state that 21 May will pass without incident.

Even though the yoke may well fall on old Herald Camping, there is still the outside chance it will be on all of us who scoff at the prediction.

Someday... we are all going to find out the truth of existence. Either in the black nothingness of death or on the rug before God.

Cheers

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini

it says right in the bible that no-one will know when the Rapture will happen...

HAH

Or are you talking about the American-centrist made-up-notion of a rapture? You know, scare tactics played on the public by million-dollar-mansion owning pastors and priests.

Ok so it doesnt mention the word "rapture" as that is just a made up christian word. But we all know that they are mentioning Matthew 24:30-36 among others. But this is a pointless argument cause i Think the "Bible" is one of the best Fantasy novels ever written...Up there with Robert Jordan. (R.I.P.) or Terry Goodkind.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I just don't understand this mindset. How does he explain to his congregation he spent all THEIR money on magic beans on Sunday? (Billboards and the last supper..)

It's as sad a Jonestown and Haleybop..Except they're going to wake up BROKE!.

I guess broke is better then dead..

That poor congregation.. When they get up on Sunday, are they going to say "hey,it was a good ride while it lasted" ??

We're talking a seriously misled group of sheeple here.

When he says "oops,I was off by 2 years..I MEANT May 21st 2013,yeah..THAT"S what I meant,pass around the hat"
They going for it? Or walking away?

How about when he says "OK, Who still has title to their cars and houses?"

I mean no disrespect... but..he's broke now. He stash a little cash?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Ok so it doesnt mention the word "rapture" as that is just a made up christian word. But we all know that they are mentioning Matthew 24:30-36 among others

It's important to understand that they are mentioning THEIR interpretation of Matthew 24:30-36.

And by doing that, according to their own teachings, they are committing blasphemy.

I like supplying ammunition to shoot down said fairy tales

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
A far more interesting thread would be, "So who believes that the rapture will happen on the 21st" then at least we could of seen who wont be online for a few days after

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Ok so it doesnt mention the word "rapture" as that is just a made up christian word. But we all know that they are mentioning Matthew 24:30-36 among others

It's important to understand that they are mentioning THEIR interpretation of Matthew 24:30-36.

And by doing that, according to their own teachings, they are committing blasphemy.

I like supplying ammunition to shoot down said fairy tales

Well i have to admit that is one of the best Fairy tales to shoot down.

edit on 19-5-2011 by jaycen420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

An atheist educational program.. that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
Also the may 21st guy already predicted the end for 1994. How does one publicly predict the end, wind up wrong and then have the gall to pick another date? No second chance, no second coming.
edit on 19-5-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Agreed, people need to remember that God didn't write the bible, Man did.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam

Just out of interest, does anyone have any figures on the amount of people who believe this Rapture is going to happen on Saturday. Are we talking thousands or hundreds of thousands? And have this people been financially contributing to the movement?
edit on 19-5-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Flag to you mate! Now would be the perfect time for gigantic E.T. spacecraft to show up, if they happen to have a taste for human flesh, as in the old short film..."To Serve Man!". I can just picture all those who believe Christ has returned on the 21st, happily marching up the ships' ramps, only to be whisked off to processing plants on another planet! heh!heh!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

HAH

This was thought up by an Englishman named John Darby, not an American. Can't blame us for EVERYTHING.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If anyone who is expecting to be Raptured on Saturday lives in Essex in the UK and has pets...would you like me to pop in and feed them for you?

Rev

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Some advice for the Rapture:

youtu.be...

Don't know how to embed it, sorry.

Rev

edit on 19/5/2011 by revmoofoo because: My kingdom for mad spelling skills!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join