It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celibacy, homosexuality not to blame for priest abuse.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Celibacy, homosexuality not to blame for priest abuse.

www.abc.net.au

By North America correspondent Jane Cowan

Updated 9 hours 50 minutes ago

The largest ever study on the sexual abuse crisis inside the Catholic Church in the United States has found that neither homosexuality nor celibacy are to blame.

The report, commissioned by America's Catholic bishops, discounts a number of theories that have been previously floated to explain abuse by priests.

It finds gay priests were no more likely to abuse children than heterosexual ones, and that the celibate culture of the priesthood was not to blame either.

The report also says only a small minority
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Explanation: I bring this to ATS to discuss in depth.

Personal Disclosure: I welcome this report and I am I wondering what my fellow ATS members have to say on it.

Do you support this finding or not?

Could there be a conspiracy behind this reports findings?

Pls Feel free to leave your own opinions but I caution members from straying off topic or focusing on each others issues instead of the topic. Thank you!

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

OL! You should have mentioned it, the reason!

Instead, researchers conclude priests were under stress, ill-prepared to deal with the social and sexual turmoil of the 1960s and '70s, and poorly monitored.

I am confused about these findings as it seems that this scandal has been around for a little longer than they say, or the reason isn't something that is because of recent events. Stress is something that does horrible things no matter what position. I think it's the opportunity given. The trust given to them. The trust could be stressful or it could be taken as greed of sorts. They are high ranking people in the churches therefore it seems they have power. I apologies to whom i might offend but in my honest opinion they just aren't people of God. I'm not religious at all but they aren't priests. This is a scandal of pedo's or rather how honest people can become pedo's. A paedophile is basically someone who does sexual things to minors/underage children. They are weak people. Perhaps the idea of a priest is a good one, but there are just lots of men turning for god and become them, but aren't strong enough to fight their urges they didn't know they had?

This article sheads light on the subject, but not really much light. Needs more to find. At least they showed us this.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Explanation: St*rred!

Sorry for that lack of oversight..I thought it was in the snippet! Thank you very much for correcting that fail on my part!

Pesroanl disclosure: I agree..Although I welcome the report... I have my doubts?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Naw, blame it on the little boys like you do the rape victims.....studies aren't worth a dam.They can be made to say Space monsters are the cause if it is paid for by space monster haters...Forget studies...just know that these are really sick individuals......who need to be first castrated then locked away for good with their own kind.....

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

I know i'm not bringing better solutions to the table, but i will have to say that i disagree that A-It's the "little boy's" fault and B-That they should be locked up because they are bad.

Why? Well you see rape, molestation, at such a FRAGILE age has HUGE effects on a mind of a developing child. The issue isn't finding them after they commit set crimes, it's figuring out what the problem is and stopping it before it happens! See if it was celibacy that was the issue, perhaps the church would allow more fapping or sex or anything for the Preists to avoid this scandal nonsense. If it was homosexuallity, then the priests could not be homosexual. Once the problem is found [Lol the problem is stress? Comon guys] then the issue can be layed to rest.

It can't be layed to rest by saying prosecute the pervs. WE SHOULD AVOID THAT.
Rape of a child's innocence is murder or amputating something required to be normal, or without severe issues.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
most child rapists and pedophiles are christians, they need to be sent to guantanamo bay just like all the terrorists.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
most child rapists and pedophiles are christians, they need to be sent to guantanamo bay just like all the terrorists.

I was thinking facepalm, but i facepalmed on how facepalming it was and deceided.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/176903117dc1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Generally, if your theology is wrong, you'll go bad. I've always blamed these sex scandals on the RCC making abstinence mandatory for it's clergy. In other traditional churches, like the orthodox, it's optional for the priesthood and I've yet to hear about them having sex scandals of any sort.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Is there a conspiracy in the findings? The entire Roman Catholic religion is a conspiracy. Jesus is a conspiracy. All of modern religion is a conspiracy to keep the people under the thumb of the ruling class. It does nothing but divide the human species that, if ever united, would itself be immortal. I spit on that which preaches peace yet is itself responsible for the death of billions throughout history. I care not if the priest is homosexual.

The people on this Earth are meant to remain on this planet fighting with each other while the elite play God surviving on the back of the working animal.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Of course homosexuality is not to blame. Why on earth would it be? Is heterosexuality to blame when little girls are molested by adult men? That happens even more often. So...either straightness causes child abuse too or it's, you know, something else entirely regardless of gender. Which it is.

Celibacy, on the other hand, well...I would tend to think some individuals, given the enormous variety in humans, are able to be celibate without problems, but that it's not something most people can do long-term without suffering psychological damage. And most child abusers are not pedophiles, but criminal opportunists with mental problems. But I haven't looked at the celibacy question scientifically. Now I will examine this study to see whether they've looked at it scientifically either.
edit on 19-5-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button is my new religion

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

I total agree with what you have said.

The whole thing is suspicious it was done by the American Catholic Bishops.

Sodomy of young boys is the most heinous crime a person could commit.

I wonder how many of these persons that did the report are pedophiles not revealed?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
There shouldn't have to be a reason behind it. Giving reasons for it is making up an excuse for child predators. No matter what the excuse is, child molestation is wrong. If someone wants to say 'Oh, the poor priest was celibate (or gay), and that's why he molested someone' that just doesn't cut it.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Christians have nothing to do with this. those priest are obviously not faithful followers of GOD.
i've never agreed with the order and structure of the catholic church, but to say such a thing as you have is a flat out lie.

links or go home.

As for making excuses for the sick perverted men who have probobly stripped the faith off of all those poor children.. i say put them in prison! no excuses.

they have commited a higher crime than a regular joe child molester..

they have caused mental and permanent damage to the faith of young children, adults and the views of unlearned man around the world. disgraceful and the work of evil to de-rail from the inside-out.

clever and manipulation.
edit on 19-5-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by steven704

Christians have nothing to do with this. those priest are obviously not faithful followers of GOD.
i've never agreed with the order and structure of the catholic church, but to say such a thing as you have is a flat out lie.

links or go home.

I believe that sick people who have difficulties finding their place in the real world, will join the church. Sickness does not disappear, when following god.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Neither being a heterosexual nore a homosexual is the cause of rape. It's the sick individual.It disgusts me constantly hearing this nonstop trail of heinous acts at the hands of church members.

I've been under a lot of stress many times, and almost broken down. But it never caused me to consider molesting an 8 year old boy. This is the type of story you want to think doesn't exist in a so called house of god, yet we're seeing it's more rampant and widespread than most could have imagined.

Stress? That's truly sick.Any excuse is sick.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Celibacy is unnatural and men who sign up willingly are not right in the head to begin with.
There is no question in my mind this plays a part in the epidemic of perverted priests.
A healthy sex life is not only a very good thing health and mental wise, it is what all organism on earth do.

If I may, it is what we are designed to do.

P.S
[snip] Pope Benedict.
edit on 19/5/11 by argentus because: removed profanity

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
A child molester is a child molester. It's a sickness that effects every race and religion. There are no excuses.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Alright guiz.
There is no excuse. There is NOT EXCUSE.
This article is trying to find out why this is going on, it doesn't mean they're trying to justify it. In fact if they came out with some real results they would send it straight to whatever head church thing and those guys make laws and whatever.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT EXCUSES. This is about figuring out a problem.

LOOK! A solution is on it's way, yet everyone is so hostile.
And yet we complain about problems. Why can't we just agree on trying to find a solution? Man, you guys really upset me. And i'm going to sleep.
Think about what i said, this isn't about justifying the problem, it's trying to avoid it and solve it.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Ouch i guess you must be the one who knows the truth

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join