It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator questions benefits to ‘adult baby’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Well, I thought I would post this story first. (I searched, and found nothing.)

First things first, I am an "adult baby". So please keep that in mind if you decide to respond. (I do not do the whole SSI crap, of course.)

Now, on to the meat. Adult babies, are adults who wish to act like babies. Much like a transvestite is a male that wishes to act like a female. This is of course, very layman. Since the thread is more about his abuse of a governmental system.

A key senator has asked the Social Security Administration to investigate how people who live their lives role-playing as “adult babies” are able to get taxpayer-funded disability payments — after one of them was featured on a recent reality TV episode wearing diapers, feeding from a bottle and using an adult-sized crib he built.

The episode was a National Geographic show, channel.nationalgeographic.com...

Anyway, basically the episode showcased this fellow "Stanly" and his roommate/mommy/caregiver. During the show we apparently learn that Stanly and mate collect SSI (Social Security Benifits)...

“Given that Mr. Thornton is able to determine what is appropriate attire and actions in public, drive himself to complete errands, design and custom-make baby furniture to support a 350-pound adult and run an Internet support group, it is possible that he has been improperly collecting disability benefits for a period of time,” Mr. Coburn wrote in a letter Monday to Inspector General Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr.

The observations made (above) are true, at least in my opinion. Adult Baby furniture is quite valuable, and most internet sites are popular in the lifestyle. I have heard of his, but I am not a frequenter. (I will not link to it here, it is non-need information)

Anyway, this guy (and mate) are collecting the SSI benifits. And, this should be stopped. Using this as an example, I am pretty sure our SSI program could use an enema. Well, the Washingon Times decides to give this guy a "call".

In an email response to The Washington Times, Mr. Thornton threatened to kill himself if his Social Security payments are taken away, and said the television episode showing him doing woodwork oversold his abilities.

This is classic behavior in the community. Though, keep in mind this is a broad general thing. For example, I do not collect ANY type of government aid. And I know many other infantilists (technical name for an adult baby) that also do not collect any hand outs. However, many do. And of those many, I would dare say that 40% could hold down a job.

For instance:

Mr. Thornton (Stanley) was featured in early May on National Geographic Channel’s “Taboo” program along with Miss Dias, a former nurse who feeds him a bottle and otherwise attends to his needs when he is dressed in diapers.

(Emphasis added)

Here we have a former nurse, who obviously still has caregiver skills. I know that some infantilists will pay a pretty penny (Upwards of 100/hr) for caregiver services. In fact, some of you may remember a fellow who pretended to be autistic in order to recieve these services. (Also something I strongly disagree with.)

Anyway, back to the couple:

In the episode, he shows off the adult-sized crib he built ... cameras follow him to the hardware store where he buys wood for his latest do-it-yourself project — an elevated high chair that is capable of holding his ample frame.

Like I mentioned above, adult baby furniture is a viable business. In fact, one of the companies made furniture for a CSI episode that featured the lifestyle. Again, the furniture like cargiver services can bring a heafty ransom. Cribs sell for thousands of dollars, that chair he is making/made could be sold for at least 500$ American.

Mr. Coburn said Mr. Thornton “is cognizant that his choice to live as an adult baby violates social norms,” though, and through both his projects and the adult baby support website he runs, (WEBSITE), he appears to have the skills to hold down a job. That, the lawmaker said, should make him ineligible for disability payments.

Mr. Coburn also questions why Miss Dias, as a former nurse, collects SSI benefits, “since she is able to provide childcare” to Mr. Thornton.

(Website address removed.)

Yeah, like I said. He should NOT be recieving these benifits. Furthermore, he will not commit suicide. Remember, he is a "baby" and will act as such when caught being naughty.

Don't forget, I too am an infantilist. So please, be proper when responding.

This thread was made in notepad, if there is a spelling error make sure to count all the words I spelled correctly! I bet I win.

Washington Times Article

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Wow, I never knew!
I saw this guy on tv and just thought to each their own.
If you wanna suck toes and worship feet or drink similac and wear adult sized huggies is fine with me.
Everyone has a fetish, just some folks don't know what it is or are embarassed to say so.
But this gentleman does not need SSI, he has no real "malfunction" would that be the right word?
And if this fetish makes him so hardcore into his roleplay that he does need a mommy, I suggest puttting him into a facility for people who cannot grasp reality until he can get a grip.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Pretty much. If the lifestyle is affecting (effecting?) your everyday life, then there is a problem. However, that is not the case here. As the article stated, he knows what "big boy pants" are, and how to use them in society. It is painfully obvious, to me, that this guy wants to live the life of a baby. Complete with a "hand it to me" life, where we (American tax-payers) hand it to him.

This is a bad thing, and yeah...

(PS: I did not watch the episode, whenver it is a "large" adult baby portrayed, then what is shown is generally lies and misinformation. (PPS I did not watch the episode, so I don't know if it was lies and misinformation!))

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Seems extremely strange to me, but hey who am I to judge! Whatever floats your boat.

On a side note, being unemployed I should really get into making and selling these "adult baby" sized cribs and what not. How much of a market is there? I'm pretty good with woodworking, if I throw a crib together you think it would be pretty easy to sell for $500? Thanks!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I love this.

This is the end-result of the nanny state: A man-child whose government is truly his nanny and sole provider.

It is something for me to point to and say "Look what it has come to...."

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

HA!

Don't think the irony escaped me, I too look on in wondermusement (Wonder+amusement). He is getting exactly what he wants out of life though. Too bad it is out of my, and my fellow American, wallets. I mean, you guys/gals may not envy what he has, but I sorta do.

Well, upon reflection, maybe not so much. Though it would be nice to have everyone else pay my way for once

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Here's his actual threat, from the article:

In an email response to The Washington Times, Mr. Thornton threatened to kill himself if his Social Security payments are taken away, and said the television episode showing him doing woodwork oversold his abilities.

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”

What a sad, angry man.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Hey look at it this way.

One day you'll be a senior and then you can do all the pants-crapping you want. Just make sure you got a lawyer that knows you're sane.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Pseudonaut

Aye, angry yes. Sad, probably not.

This is classic behavior from an adult baby. "When I get caught being bad, I have to throw a tantrum" He will not kill himself. And, supposing he did? I can't say I would shed a tear, he has been sucking at my teet for too long.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is really disgusting. As someone who is disabled I collect SSDI and it;s people like this guy who are abusing the system and are going to break the bank.
I would LOVE to be able to work a job, any job. Sitting at home day after day for 3 years is not my idea of a good time. It's boring as hell and does nothing for your self esteem which is something this guy apparently does not have nor cares to have.
How can people like this live with themselves?

I have heard family and friends tell stories about folks they knew who also managed to get on disability for such reasons as "social anxiety disorder" (SAD
- yeah it is!) they just can't "face" going to work every day, for "depression" ( are you sad sometimes? You may have depression ) and being too overweight to work.
Yes, there are some people whose depression is so bad they cannot work, I understand that. But depression is also one of the easiest clinical diagnosis to fake as well. The people who know these shysters say they are perfectly capable of doing something but were just looking for a free ride.

These people who abuse the system are going to destroy for those with legitimate need of help. Social Security does need to investigate those who are scamming and get them off the government teat. They also need to do a better job of screening and determining who will get SSDI.

I could have gotten SSDI in less than a year if I had acted like I was depressed, but I wasn't. I figured my injury would speak for itself yet it still took over 2 years to get any help at all. I don't understand that.

Things cannot keep going at the present rate, that's all I know.
It's sad that some people feel as if they have nothing to contribute to society or to work for the betterment of themselves. What ever happened to self-respect?

Thanks OP, This story needs to be spread far and wide.

edit on 21-5-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Don't forget, we ALL pay into the SSI on our paychecks. So, not only is this fellow pretending to be disabled (Proof is in the pudding, he can make furniture and host a website. BOTH of which are marketable skills.) but he is also basically stealing from me, and most everyone else who gets a paycheck in the US. Hell, you get scammed TWICE!

Yeah, this NEEDS to be nipped. It is bad enough the gubbment dips their greedy maws into the pot, I don't need babies stealing cookies too!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

your two claims are that he builds furniture, his response he doesnt build furniture, the show made him drill 6 holes, and thats it,

and he manages a website, his response he only spends 2 hrs a month maintaining the site,

so do you have any better reasoning then that?

i think this one dude is a distraction from the bigger picture,

heres an example illegal aliens who are recieving ssi, talk about a drain that doesnt cycle the flow back into the system, illegal aliens who take from our benefits who dont have their own ss# to be able to put back into the economy,

see now we're not talkin bout one dude, but rather, millions of people,

bigger picture you see?

now what the hell we gonna do about that?
edit on 5/22/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

see now we're not talkin bout one dude, but rather, millions of people,

bigger picture you see?

now what the hell we gonna do about that?

Stick to the topic man.

This topic isn't about illegals, if you want to talk about them then make a thread. But do a search first because I think there is already a thread on illegals.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

The show made him drill six holes, in the current piece he is building. The "High Chair".

However, he already has built the playpen. Furthermore, I notice you skipped out on his "mate/cargiver". Why can she not work? She obviously is a "mommy" in the lifestyle, and that, as I said earler, is worth at least 100/hr.

Lastly, you trivilize the time required to maintain a website. But that does not negate the fact that he maintains a website

Oh, and illegals is a topic for another thread. This one is about adult babies that "rook the system", specifically the one(s) mentioned in the OPost.

top topics

join