It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a question for all you single women in a shtf....

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PaganArchangel

I completely agree. Much sneakier than guns. I have actually seen poachers in national parks with bows rather than guns because of that.

And, you would have a much better chance of making your own ammo with a bow. It would still take skill, but the raw materials would be easier to get.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaganArchangel
The subject matter of threads like these are so subjective as to invite (whether intentionally or unintentionally) trollishness.
And I hate trolls.
They are like the Taliban of the internet IMO
edit on 20-5-2011 by PaganArchangel because: (no reason given)

After enough time spent on the internet and using community based forums/chat/message boards, you will come to understand 3 truths.

#1. In context, everyone ends up being a troll to someone else. Everyone.

#2. Your most hated troll probably understands your point of view better than anyone else. That's why they are able to infuriate you so much.

#3. Anytime you take the bait, you validate the trolls diligence and thus, the perfectly legal "game" is afoot.

Everyone gets irritated, but putting the label of troll onto someone is just an easy way of ignoring their point of view.

You must always assume that a post is .5% substance, .25% joke, .2% attempt to look cool and smart and on top of things, and .05% desperate attempt at social interaction.

Long ago I threw "troll" out of my lexicon. It is a form of bigotry if you think about it. You instantly judge, based on subjective context you create in your own mind while reading their post. There is no inflection or body language with message boards, so someone with a sardonic, or gregarious personality will post text in the manner they speak it. You just get the words, some body gesture they made while typing is completely lost, so when you read it you don't get the benefit of their jokey or playful mannerisms. People are barely taught to read and write nowadays, let alone communicate expertly through the written word alone in near real time responses.

I prefer to read every post written by someone as though that person and I are sitting at a table in a coffee house, talking low, but with purpose and having a conversation.
You'd be surprised how often just changing your own mental impression of the text can alleviate much of what is considered "anger" on the internet.

But that's just my opinion. Nothing more.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Butterbone

The subject matter of threads like these are so subjective as to invite (whether intentionally or unintentionally) trollishness.
And I hate trolls.
They are like the Taliban of the internet IMO

After enough time spent on the internet and using community based forums/chat/message boards, you will come to understand 3 truths.

#1. In context, everyone ends up being a troll to someone else. Everyone.

#2. Your most hated troll probably understands your point of view better than anyone else. That's why they are able to infuriate you so much.

#3. Anytime you take the bait, you validate the trolls diligence and thus, the perfectly legal "game" is afoot.

Everyone gets irritated, but putting the label of troll onto someone is just an easy way of ignoring their point of view.

You must always assume that a post is .5% substance, .25% joke, .2% attempt to look cool and smart and on top of things, and .05% desperate attempt at social interaction.

Long ago I threw "troll" out of my lexicon. It is a form of bigotry if you think about it. You instantly judge, based on subjective context you create in your own mind while reading their post. There is no inflection or body language with message boards, so someone with a sardonic, or gregarious personality will post text in the manner they speak it. You just get the words, some body gesture they made while typing is completely lost, so when you read it you don't get the benefit of their jokey or playful mannerisms. People are barely taught to read and write nowadays, let alone communicate expertly through the written word alone in near real time responses.

I prefer to read every post written by someone as though that person and I are sitting at a table in a coffee house, talking low, but with purpose and having a conversation.
You'd be surprised how often just changing your own mental impression of the text can alleviate much of what is considered "anger" on the internet.

But that's just my opinion. Nothing more.

You point is well taken.
I guess that I am sufficiently old enough to remember sitting around the table (over the backyard fence, etc) talking face - to - face was the only other way (besides the phone) to communicate with people...but I do have to admit even back then there were people that were sitting across the table that said things that made me want to slap the @&%^^ out of them. Very rarely though. People are less likely to fire up a flamethrower under those circumstances than they are behind the anonymity of a computer screen. Something about that screen makes people go flipping bananas and become ten-headed, multitentacled fire - breathing dragons....

*looks for flame-retardant suit*
As for the 05% desperate attempt at social interaction...I mean..don't they realize that you draws more bees with honey and not rotten meat? But then, perhaps it is the maggots they want..hell, I don't know, lol

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I know what you mean, I have a friend like that. We talk over the internet through games, he'll rage and swear at me there but as soon as we are having a beer or something he's like a little mouse, quite amusing

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

As for the 05% desperate attempt at social interaction...I mean..don't they realize that you draws more bees with honey and not rotten meat? But then, perhaps it is the maggots they want..hell, I don't know, lol

Some people dont care about drawing bees. Nor maggots.

The people who best know how to sweeten up an argument are sales people. And politiicans. And sociopaths, And exploiters of all kinds.

Not everyone who tells you what you want to hear is your friend. And not everyone who tells you what you loathe is your enemy. Our world and our problems are testament to that fact. And also to the very real fact that most people still prefer the honey, even when it gives them diabetes in the end.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Some people dont care about drawing bees. Nor maggots.

The people who best know how to sweeten up an argument are sales people. And politiicans. And sociopaths, And exploiters of all kinds.

Not everyone who tells you what you want to hear is your friend. And not everyone who tells you what you loathe is your enemy. Our world and our problems are testament to that fact. And also to the very real fact that most people still prefer the honey, even when it gives them diabetes in the end.

Very well put.
Watch for the maggots in the honey (god I hope nobody's eating, lol).
I definitely get you.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Back on topic, lol: That last exchange just gave me an idea for another question of the posters...
In a SHTF situation, could you eat (non poisonous of course) bugs, i.e., earthworms, cicadas, ect.? If you are a military member I'm sure that that kind of stuff is given you in training..but I am talking about just regular folk here.
Myself, I could probably stomach the earthworms but maggots are pretty much where I draw the line.
I am not trying to gross people out but I think it is a valid question. Bugs are apparently a good source of protein.
(BTW, I don't know if cicadas are actually poisonous, but I have to admit when I was a kid I thought they might be tasty..fried of course, lol)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I know I could eat snakes,lizards etc....but it would be really hard for me to eat anything mushy like worms. However in a situation where that's all you have...you do what you have to do. So I would if there was nothing else.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

I know I could eat snakes,lizards etc....but it would be really hard for me to eat anything mushy like worms. However in a situation where that's all you have...you do what you have to do. So I would if there was nothing else.
Worms are good with some marshmallow fluff on white bread.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Am I woman? Yes. Single or married, when push comes to shove, I'll be ready for whatever comes. Don't let a woman's appearance fool you. Most women I know can charm at least one man into protecting her if necessary. Some men are under the impression that the worst thing that can happen to a woman is a sexual violation. We are tougher than nails and can endure. As history as shown, we are also master manipulators with built-in survival skills.

I own 4 weapons, 3 bows/crossbows and a variety of "trinkets" that I know how to use well. I know how to survive in extreme weather, the wilderness and on a city block. I can turn my 5 inch heels and the handle chain from my french designer bag into a deadly weapon in seconds. I'm not afraid. In fact, I'm ready.

There are weak and scraggly men out there that should start worrying. When SHTF they'll be turning into MY dinner.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why would you try to live as a scavanger unless you're in a rural setting? I'm an urbanite...and yes, I'm not ashamed to say it, but humans would be the most available food source, so I wouldn't waste precious energy going after smaller prey. I don't care about resorting to cannibalism, most people shouldn't even exist, nature doesn't thin out the herd anymore like it did in the past and I'd have to convince my pets to eat human...they're a bit spoiled....Hehe... Seattlites for the most part seem to be quite healthy. I'm a vegetarian....for now.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jrocbaby
I think I can pretty much guess that 95% of the people in this thread, will be dead within the first week. Nobody seems to consider that heavily armed rogue military/police/anybody will be roaming around just searching for people to rob, to take children, women, and likely even able bodied men, those who submit anyways.

You can be as resourceful and tough as you think you are, but when 15 men with assault rifles come close in pickup trucks to take everything you have, what are you going to do?

In all honesty, it's not a matter of "toughness", "strength", or "bravery". Their may be a fair amount of guile and subterfeuge involved, though. In order to get the specific answer to you question of "what are you going to do?", you'll have to assemble those 15 guys, and send them my way to find out. I recommend they bring the best assault rifles that money can buy.

I may be able to use those when we divvy up their equipment. It would also be nice and thoughtful if they brought their own rope with them to hang the bodies on display with, so that I don't have to waste mine.

Thats why I already have a little spot, where im going to dig a hole near a river, and just wait things out, almost like a cave with a very small hole to get in/out of, then ill just sit inside it with a gun and no one would have any reason to even notice me, let alone attack me.

You really might want to rethink permanently digging in near a large body of water. Think Africa. Where do the predators, like lions and such, KNOW that they can always finds a gazelle for dinner? I'd really recommend somewhere a bit more out of the way, but do as you like.

If you DO go that route, make sure you crib your spider hole real good. Nothing quite as disconcerting as having the entire planet cave in on top of you, and that happens with disturbing frequency where lots of water is at play and there are recently excavated cavities in the ground.

I'll likely be by myself, because anyone with you could blow your whole plan, but it sure would get lonely

I'm sort of torn on that issue. Going it alone truly IS the most secretive way to hide out and ride out the storm, but as they say "many hands make light the work". Who's going to take alternate watches while you nap? Who's going to keep lookout while you clean the fish, or squirrels, or rats, dogs, deer, or whatever else you manage to scrounge for grub? If you're near a large body of water, you're going to NEED lookouts, especially at dinner time. Cooking food smells carry a long way, especially over water, as does sound.

Nope, if you can manage to survive by going it alone near a predator bait area, you're obviously a better man than me, which may go without saying.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by curlygirl
Am I woman? Yes. Single or married, when push comes to shove, I'll be ready for whatever comes. Don't let a woman's appearance fool you. Most women I know can charm at least one man into protecting her if necessary. Some men are under the impression that the worst thing that can happen to a woman is a sexual violation. We are tougher than nails and can endure. As history as shown, we are also master manipulators with built-in survival skills.

I own 4 weapons, 3 bows/crossbows and a variety of "trinkets" that I know how to use well. I know how to survive in extreme weather, the wilderness and on a city block. I can turn my 5 inch heels and the handle chain from my french designer bag into a deadly weapon in seconds. I'm not afraid. In fact, I'm ready.

There are weak and scraggly men out there that should start worrying. When SHTF they'll be turning into MY dinner.

You and every other woman are better off committing suicide in your new boring world. Hell, I think everybody should just end it all just for the hell of it. Now lets look at what we won't have in our new boring world not worth living in. Honestly, I don't care about you females or other men for that matter. All I want is my sweet blissful technology.

No Video games
No TV
No Computers
No Media devices
No Ipods
No Burger King
No Wendy's
No Anime
No PS3
No Central Air
No Internet

Why even bother living without all if I can't have what completes me? Unlike you guys, I exist for the soul purpose of consuming pleasure from technology. If my world crashes I have no purpose. My world is not your world.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by David291

Hmmmm....I guess it depends on where you are. Personally, I would feel better staying in one place, (for a while anyway) Just because any threat would have to come to me, and not as easy to sneak up on you if you have guards/ security to watch in shifts....to see thier approach before they get close.

Staying in one place give you a better chance of getting to know other groups of survivors in the area. You'll be able to learn who you can trust and who you can't. If you stay on the move, then you can trust no one. The only reason to move would be if resouces droped to an unreplenishable state. I say stay put.
edit on 5/20/2011 by amaster because: (no reason given)

I've got sort of a mixed strategy. I've picked an "area" of about 20 miles square, and have located several alternate camps within it. Don't plan on staying at any one camp too long, but more on the move between them, all while staying in that same general area. The landscape itself is pretty rugged, has lots of high ground and craggy rocks to observe from, and lots of nooks and crannies away from natural lines of drift to hide out in and camp at. Water isn't a problem - lots of small springs, one fairly large river which I plan to stay away from as much as possible. What's even better, there are several natural choke points that will funnel any unwanted intruders, either to their own destruction, or to hold them up long enough for me to suddenly be somewhere else.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

So what will everybody do if they live long enough through the SHTF that ammo runs low or runs out completely?
What do you imagine will be your strategy when that happens?
I'm talking about when we have gotten to pretty much the rock throwing stage of things...

I've been making my own bows and arrows since I was a teenager. All these modern types are crap, as far as I'm concerned, and it's hard to find a bow that's NOT a compound bow in any stores any more, so I'm glad I've already got that experience under my belt. The real problem with this new sort of tackle is replacement parts in a SHTF scenario. They're going to be hard to find, and I've yet to spot my first graphite tree to make arrow shafts out of for 'em.

I generally cheat on the strings, though. I strip down a length of nylon rope, and re-lay strands of it to make the string, I'm not above twisting up string out of bark or other plant fibers, but I rarely use it for components as critical as a bow string. Arrowheads I either chip out of various sorts of rock (not just flint), or glass (which is easier to work), or if I'm feeling really lazy, I cut 'em out of steel banding with tin snips.

I also know how to make several sorts of traps out of what I can find in the woods, but I've had the best luck by far with figure-4 deadfalls. You can set them for anything from a squirrel right on up to a deer, bear, or even a man.

Odd you should mention rocks. Once upon a time I found myself in an uncomfortably unarmed position, and in need of some supper. I managed to get it, by killing it with a rock about the size of my fist or a little larger thrown at it. Might have been a lucky shot, might have been the hunger working for me, but whatever it was, it worked.

Oddly, perhaps, sticks of the proper size can be used to good effect as well. Several primitives around the world have their own version of a "throwing club" such as the Australian aborigine "boomerang" - most of which are not of the returning variety, contrary to what one may see on TV. Yeah, they work.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Back on topic, lol: That last exchange just gave me an idea for another question of the posters...
In a SHTF situation, could you eat (non poisonous of course) bugs, i.e., earthworms, cicadas, ect.? If you are a military member I'm sure that that kind of stuff is given you in training..but I am talking about just regular folk here.
Myself, I could probably stomach the earthworms but maggots are pretty much where I draw the line.
I am not trying to gross people out but I think it is a valid question. Bugs are apparently a good source of protein.
(BTW, I don't know if cicadas are actually poisonous, but I have to admit when I was a kid I thought they might be tasty..fried of course, lol)

I'm told that I ate bugs when I was little, but I don't remember it, so I can't say how they were. I have eaten snakes, frogs, turtles, "grampuses" (they also call them "water dogs" or "hellbenders" in some places - a giant, slimy ugly salamander looking thing that lives in rivers), squirrels, ground hogs, raccoons, on up to deer and bear. I've always maintained that I will eat nearly anything that doesn't eat me first, so if it came down to it, and nothing else was available, bugs better watch out.

As an aside, it is estimated that 95% of all adults in America over the age of 25 have eaten at least one spider in their sleep. That kinda makes my skin crawl.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by curlygirl

Thanks for the verification! That's EXACTLY what I've been talking about, and it's nice of you to admit it! ALL of ya'll women-folks are ninjas with nail polish! Ain't none of ya fooled me for even a second!

Oh, BTW, I'm one of them weak, scraggly men. Please don't turn me into dinner. I'm too old, tough, and stringy to bother with...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Envious

You and every other woman are better off committing suicide in your new boring world. Hell, I think everybody should just end it all just for the hell of it.

One leads by example, sonny...

Now lets look at what we won't have in our new boring world not worth living in. Honestly, I don't care about you females or other men for that matter. All I want is my sweet blissful technology.

No Video games
No TV
No Computers
No Media devices
No Ipods
No Burger King
No Wendy's
No Anime
No PS3
No Central Air
No Internet

Why even bother living without all if I can't have what completes me? Unlike you guys, I exist for the soul purpose of consuming pleasure from technology. If my world crashes I have no purpose. My world is not your world.

MY GOD! ALL of that will be GONE? How WILL we ever survive? Now I'm going to have to think back, and try to recall how I ever managed to make it to adulthood without ANY of that stuff... It's tough, man. You actually have to get out and DO stuff...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I don't need a man if SHTF, I have plenty of friends and family that would be glad to lend a hand if I asked. I'm already very observant and overly aware of my surroundings (that's how I ended up here) so if anything were to happen, I'd probably know it was coming and do everything to keep myself and the people I care about safe. Don't need a man for that.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join