It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World's Tallest Tree...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I hope they keep its location under wraps because the last thing you need is some elitest scum to have a home built entirely from the largest tree on Earth. I'm sure it would make for exquisit dinner party conversation starters to discuss how the bar and boathouse are all constructed out of one single tree. Sometimes, heritage sites like this, even environmental ones, are best left unknown...

I realize, of course, that this is protected land, but at the rate we're going with privatization of federal- and state-held lands, I would not be surprised one bit.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Sphota because: clarity

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by exo87

I can't find the 7th person either. Man that tree is amazing, it's one of those rare sights that if you see some jerk destroy it it literally would make you feel sick. If left alone I wonder how big it will grow, at any rate that thing will certainly outlive everyone of us and most likely our children's children too.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Do they know the age of the behemoth? I'm sorry if this was asked already just curious.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Star andf flag! Better than any man made structure...... Nature Winning.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow! The first thing that came to mind after seeing this thread was Stephen Lang's quote in Avatar: "That is one big damn tree!"

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Another curious tree resides at the top of a mountain located adjoining the Logan Canyon highway. It's called Juniper Jardine, and as the name would indicate is a juniper tree purported to be aproximatly 2,000 + years old. I once rode my mountain bike up to it, a 9 mile single-track path. I had a dozen or more stops along the uphill path to catch wind, and aproximatly a bit over an hour later, I arrived. The forestry has built several benches there and to the best of my memory, I believe there was a table or two. The tree is quite gnarled, much like a bristle cone pine and only had scant tufts of live needles, probably numbering five or six tufts total. The trunk bark was the gray of aged wood you see in very old barns and such. Another curiosity was the carved initials and dates on the trunk (Sad but so) and their age. I recall a couple from the 1800's, like 1850 or so, possibly later, I don't remember the exact numbers other than starting with 18_ _ . It was inspiring to see such an ancient tree there above the canyon and the incredible view also. It's well worth the trek to the tree from the parking lot below. I'm not sure if mountain bikes are allowed these days as it was in 1994 or so when I accomplished this ride. The downhill was quick, bumpy and one needed to pay close attention.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I still have vivid memories of driving through the base of an old redwood while on vacation in California, although I was very young when visiting there. Redwood national park is an amazing place. thanks for the post op.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
How old is that tree?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I believe 1500 years.
These trees are so beautifull and so precious to our spiritual being. I heard, most of them were cut down to make sleepers for the railroad, but are'nt they so much more worth then any railroad?
edit on 19-5-2011 by CarlitosAmsel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I do believe that I have found the seven dwarves... I mean, the seven men in the tree...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77bbb071c067.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Underworlds
I do believe that I have found the seven dwarves... I mean, the seven men in the tree...
I think you're looking too hard.

I see seven circles, but only 6 people.

No matter what magnification I use, the second from the top doesn't look like a person to me. And it's a dwarf, he must have "wood" about 2-3 feet long and as big around as a tree branch pointing off to the right.

Wherever that 7th person is, if there even is a 7th person, he's hard to find, unless that's really him and you found him hard.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Man, that is a lot of firewood and paper? Just kidding. What a magnificent specimen. That tree has got to be old as well. They are one of the links to the past. We can learn about how the atmosphere was hundreds of years ago and other things. Similar to the ice core samples being gathered from Antarctica. Was out in California years ago, but never made it to the north woods. Now, I wish I had.

They say this particular tree is around 1500 years old. No if you want to talk about an old tree, they have discovered one in the northern reaches of Sweden, said to be 9,550 years old.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Underworlds

Well I'm looking at the original now in the NG article and it's quite clear. I can't see a seventh person even where you pointed it out.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Underworlds
I think you're looking too hard.

I see seven circles, but only 6 people.

No matter what magnification I use, the second from the top doesn't look like a person to me. And it's a dwarf, he must have "wood" about 2-3 feet long and as big around as a tree branch pointing off to the right.

Wherever that 7th person is, if there even is a 7th person, he's hard to find, unless that's really him and you found him hard.

Aaargh! You may be right! Or... he could be on the other side of the tree relieving himself in the region I indicated.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I give up on the seventh person search.

Would love to see this tree in person.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well just wanted to say thanks to everybody who has responded thus far.
Interesting read.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

The California Redwood is a spectacular and beautiful tree.

379 feet, that's impressive!

However, if you want to look at ever recorded, the equally spectacular and beautiful Eucalyptus regnans (more commonly known as the Mountain Ash or Eucalyptus tree) holds that title. Quite a few have been measured at over 130 metres/426 feet!

Tallest Tree Ever Recorded

I live in an area surrounded by these giants so I get a first hand look at their immense size.

Nice thread.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Man, just think how many rolls of toilet paper could be made out of such a resource! Or paper, or anything. I say cut it down and put the darn thing to use. It's not doing me any good just sitting there in the middle of the nowhere.

I would love to have my future house made out of a single tree like one commenter suggested. All the furniture, etc, made from such a beast would remind me on a daily basis that mankind powns nature.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just thought i would add this suggestion for a

:facepalmemoticon:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
Just thought i would add this suggestion for a

:facepalmemoticon:

Here you go.

Also, I just wanted to thank everybody who has contributed and made this an interesting read.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join