It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Announces ZOMBIE Apocalypse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

CDC Announces ZOMBIE Apocalypse

www.foxnews.com

Are you prepared for the impending zombie invasion?
That's the question posed by the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention in a Monday blog posting gruesomely titled, "Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse." And while it's no joke, CDC officials say it's all about emergency preparation.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I really and honestly have no words to describe my response to this.. This is a prime example of your tax dollars at work. I really was not sure where to post this, so mods, if this isn't the place please move this post.

Could you please drop the minimum number of words to like maybe 25? I'm having to add far too much to this post.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Either it is misuse of tax monopoly dollars or they are trying to say something ...

I'm prepared to get the heck out of dodge! And I'll bring my tin foil hat with me dammit!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I feel it should be noted that the zombie theme was completely sensationalist to garner attention, which worked it seems. From the foxnews article linked above:

"It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek campaign," Daigle said Wednesday. "We were talking about hurricane preparedness and someone bemoaned that we kept putting out the same messages."

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Not exactly an eventuality, just a cool way to promote preparedness.( Probably
)
edit on 18-5-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
if and when the economic collapse occurs, you'll get your zombies, but they won't be flesh eating, nor dead, they'll be your neighbours.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Crazy... Just Plain Crazy

With All the Bio weapon research they probably do, eventually something's going to breakout.

Zombies may be a laughing matter now but anything's possible with virtually unlimited funding

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

While you might be appalled by this, I on the other hand think this is brilliant!

Silly? Without a doubt, but I think thats the point. I've been working with some clients recently building up there website which is centered on emergency preparedness. And one issue I have come across while working with them is how to go about spreading the information about actually being prepared for emergencies. What I see the CDC doing is putting a presentation together to spread basic emergency preparedness that may reach people who otherwise wouldn't have taken a look.

Kudos to the CDC for this.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
My opinion why this is actually becoming more of an actuall possiblilty... Human and Cow genes unite ...

All of the sudden the story "Zombieland" comes to mind.

This takes away the genetic buffer in some ways. Now please keep in mind it's this genetic buffer that prevent human-born diseases from passing to animals or vise versa..
edit on 18-5-2011 by TheyWontBelieveU because: added more input

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
remember to keep a shotgun in your hurricane survival packs!!! good for blowing zombies in two

as long as they don't overdue it, and people realize its a joke. if they don't, they risk getting fewer views on the topic.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sign me up!

I would much rather die in a zombie apocalypse as opposed to something like the nuclear alternative.

I pray, pray for this zombie situation to manifest.

I got my machete.

Lets do this.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
There are several things to consider, here.

First - it's an easy way to get people to think about disaster readiness. It makes the subject far more approachable and interesting for many people (remember - this is in a nation where the vast majority of people have attention spans that can only tolerate Stewart and Colbert-level news/political discussion - hence their popularity). When you try to get people to think about how to respond to disasters like earthquakes and society-crumbling disasters... it's depressing and frightening - something we don't want to think about and tend to deny as a possibility - that sort of stuff just happens elsewhere in the world - not here.

A zombie apocalypse? That's thinking about the beginning of an adventure - scary, but something almost fanciful and far easier to slip past our common-mode denial.

Further - a "zombie apocalypse" is actually not all that different from any other locally-apocalyptic disaster. When food, water, and shelter become scarce - the people you can trust come in very short supply. Gangs and 'war lords' take power, and many people become a sort of 'zombie' simply searching for food and water.

In all disaster scenarios - it's generally critical that you leave the affected region and seek assistance from non-affected regions and persons - the military checkpoints, the 'survivor camps' - as is having a plan for how to deal with it. You want ready supplies of food and basic needs - before the store shelves get cleaned off in the chaos following the actual epidemic. You want a plan for leaving town - you may even have a plan with your friends and family.

And that's the key. It is fun to make a "zombie plan" - and it can be readily adapted to handle a variety of situations. It is something you can plan with your friends and people around you - those plans give a sense of security and order in a fundamentally chaotic and stressful situation. And the less likely things are going to go from bad to worse.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
They are not the first to do this. 2009 researchers from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University posed a question: If there was to be a battle between zombies and the living, who would win? It resulted in a scientific paper i - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress. news.bbc.co.uk...
I agree with previous speaker that this might be a way to reach people who otherwise wouldn't read the info.

It also ring a bell... Hm... wasn't there a whole website, a pretty well respected newspaper if I remember correctly, l that had a lot articles about zombies like it was for real? Maybe last year?
edit on 18-5-2011 by pimpinette because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Already a thread.
Abovetopsecret

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Gloom and doom sells.
Having said that, in this day and age with so much tragedy going on and now having to deal with radiation and emerging new illnesses, it's very inappropriate and reckless of an establishment like the CDC to communicate this way. They are NOT a teenage entertainment company selling a product and we are not brainless, hypnotized sheep. I won't even read it.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
There is an Existing Thread Here in the same forum.

Please direct all replies to that thread, this one will be closed.

top topics

join