It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega Doom....Always and forever apparently.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The question is simple to ask but maybe more difficult to answer.

Why do those who proclaim they are prophets always predict such grossly over the top disasters? Things so outrageous that such prophesies in and of themselves are almost guaranteed NOT to occur just by the pretense of the situation.
Some examples would be:

1. A magnitude 10 earthquake will hit California creating new beach front real estate in Nevada around X time frame.
2. A mega tsunami will hit the eastern seaboard of the US killing millions caused by a landslide in the Canary Islands.
3. Contact with another galaxy will be made on X date.
4. The Yellowstone caldera will erupt at the same time Aliens will attack earth all while world governments round up citizens for mass extermination around X date.

It is this kind of crap that makes me take it even less seriously than normal. Whoa!!! What’s that, you actually take it seriously under lesser circumstances?

Well yeah,… I like to think I’m open minded enough to accept that some people may be able to accurately predict future events, even if it is a slim chance.

But what’s the deal with the overkill?

I mean why not, an earthquake will hit X location on X date but no one will be significantly affected and casualties will be low. OR… Nasa will discover an asteroid approaching earth but we will be in no danger from impact. As opposed to fire will fall from the sky and kill90% of all life on earth by next Friday soooooo crap your pants hurry!

It seems that those with “The Gift” are little more than attention whores out to make a bunch of noise about impossible events. Then if even one thing out of a thousand things is even remotely comparable to an alleged predicted event, said attention whore is supposedly vindicated and then is free continue to spew garbage. I mean if they want to be a con artist and scam money from people that’s one thing, but I don’t get people who are just spouting to spout. At least be an honest criminal.

I used to believe in UFOs, I still do, but rather than getting excited when I see new video I automatically call hoax thanks to youtube crying wolf too often. The same thing goes with these DOOMSDAY prophecies. Overkill doom and gloom and world shattering events are the only thing that can be envisioned by those with an ability to see the future I guess.

This is just me venting, and,….I don’t know. I’m just getting tired of the BS. A prophecy is one thing but why always a mega disaster for Pete’s sake?

Do I really need to post a link?....Really?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's all about sensationalism. No one cares if you predict 3 people will die somewhere. If you say something will whipe out millions it will get more attention.

That's all it is, seeking attention. Usually making some money on the side too.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

I think your right, I also think that on ATS the currency is the flagging system.

I mean do people really want their life as they know it to end, do they really feel that disconnected?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Um, this seems rather like a rant. I was under the impression you had something to share other than hating. her's news: you're on a discussion forum for conspiracy theories

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hiphappa14

Should I give you a star for stating the obvious?
Here is a hint.....No.

Peace.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Because unless thousands of people are going to die, explode, be abducted, or otherwise permanently harmed and disfigured, nobody cares.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by Swizzy

I think your right, I also think that on ATS the currency is the flagging system.

I mean do people really want their life as they know it to end, do they really feel that disconnected?

Off-topic: Dude, please, type you are, not your.
On-topic: I would agree a change in our world as well. This world is getting boring, nothing new ever happens.
edit on 18-5-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

Thanks for correcting my horrible typo, grogginess is no excuse for bad English.
I was just wondering about some of the crazy doom prophecies I have read. Mostly because I believe there may be a conspiracy to make some religious groups look even more ridiculous than normal. Considering that and how some of these people have a large number of followers, how do they reconcile when nothing happens?

Also, like I mentioned earlier, I am trying to figure out why exactly people are so disconnected from reality. It seems people want such disasters to unfold on the earth and themselves. They act this way with some numbness to such events and how they would be effected by them. I know life can be boring, but why of all things wish for the STHTF?

By the way, I'm not implying that it is only religious groups making inaccurate prophecies, but that it seems to have started with religion.
edit on 18-5-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Say the prediction of an approaching comet or astroid is true that makes other predictions such as super volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunami's a reality. So maybe there all right. Most disasters are linked, trigger other disasters off, eg earthquake could start tsunami's and volcanoes. So its not 'overkill' really if you think about it. Maybe aliens invading at the same time could be overkill though haha

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Ok, you know what i really don't want to anger you further this is your post I respect that. Its just that so many posts lately like this one have been overtly negative spending a lot of time talking about stuff most of know is BS. I mean anyone who reads these claims you write on is clearly not thinking critically or objectively. They're being hopeful at best, delusional at worst. But those of us here that aren't loopy are aware of that much. So we should get our rocks off talking about how stupid it is, feeling all superior? Or could we be spending our time trying to something constructive or positive. I mean I know this is a conspiracy theory site and its inherent topics will be grim when we're reporting stuff or discussing events. But why waste our time and our brains (that are clearly awesome, for else why are we all HERE?) hatin?

Again I'm not trying to make you mad or bait you i can admit I was feeling down about ATS losing some of its shine to me. Its just how can we as the people not currently in control come together if we all just focus on smack-talking?

Oh yeah, what is a star?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Have you considered staying out of the prediction threads? It's much better for your blood pressure. And your daily attitude. Too much gloom and doom isn't good for the soul.

edit on 5/18/2011 by Klassified because: grammar police

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
And I just realized if you think I'm stating the obvious then this 'obviously' belongs in a different forum. I thought you were going to share something new on the topic of 2012. But this is a bunch of smack talk aka a rant. I love when the grumpy guss' on here try to get sassy with me. Noobatron (mods I really hope in some wierd loop hole noobatron counts as a swaer word somehow if so I'll gladly delete it)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
It's all about sensationalism. No one cares if you predict 3 people will die somewhere. If you say something will whipe out millions it will get more attention.

That's all it is, seeking attention. Usually making some money on the side too.

Yeah but if you say who those three people will be I bet you'll get some attention.LOL

new topics

top topics

join