It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate bill would require warrant for e-mail, cloud searches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Senate bill would require warrant for e-mail, cloud searches

arstechnica.com

Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) proposed sweeping digital privacy protections Tuesday that would require the government, for the first time, to get a probable-cause warrant to obtain e-mail and other content stored in the cloud.

Leahy’s proposal would nullify a provision of the 1986 Electronic Communications Privacy Act that allows the government to acquire a suspect’s e-mail or other stored content from an Internet service provider without showing probable cause
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com
ilt.eff.org
leahy.senate.gov
edit on 18-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well, pardon my cynicism, but this seems like more fodder for political posturing, as it appears to me that our news of late has been chock full of contentious 'government rights' issues...

I am not entirely sure that we should be celebrating yet:

Civil rights groups applauded the proposal, but cautioned that it was not a complete victory for online privacy.

“We think this is the beginning of the discussion. This is a very positive step,” Chris Calabrese, legal counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, said by telephone.

This bill hasn't even gone to committee yet... so it may serve as a prop for political theater... or worse, it might wind up being folded, spindled, and mutilated into a even more oppressive law... with this crowd, one never knows for sure.

At any rate, I won't blame anyone for being encouraged... but I maintain that it not as cut and dry as 'good news'

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well these guys just dont have a good track record do they?
And it seems these days they just work on perfecting Double Speak.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
They'll still look and track emails..

They just won't use that evidence in court is all.

top topics

join