It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medvedev warns of Cold War over missile defence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Medvedev warns of Cold War over missile defence

news.smh.com.au

President Dmitry Medvedev Wednesday warned of a new Cold War era if Russia and the West failed to agree on missile defence

Russia is increasingly worried about US plans to build missile defence facilities in ex-Communist eastern Europe and is also offended that NATO appears to have shunned its proposals for a joint missile defence shield.

"We would then be talking about developing the offensive potential of our nuclear capabilities," Medvedev warned.

It would be a scenario that throws u
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The article and Medvedev's rethoric is very clear

."I understand that other states mentioned (Iran, North Korea) do not have (nuclear) potential compatible with Russia and are unlikely to achieve them in the coming years... So, it is directed against us,"

He is saying straight out that he believes the missile defence shield is specifically for Russia.

If this goes through and Obama goes ahead with the shield then Russia might ally itself even more with Iran than it already has.

But chosing this venue and having this rethoric can be considered as something quite huge, something that NATO and Obama really needs to listen for.

NATO says they want Russia as a strong strategic partner but let's see how far that goes.

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You know. I kinda miss the cold war.Things were certainly kept in perspective. Our society seemed to have a frig gen clue. And the international community treated the United States with respect. Instead of complaing that we continue to exist. Only of course because they relied on us for their safety. They didn't want to live in their countries that would been occupied by the Russians. I find it amusing that everyone thinks the world is safer now.

Yeah If those clowns want to withdraw from the START treaty I think the US is better off. They refuse to lessen their tactical nukes. So whats the point? They are the ones that can't even afford to replace their AKM-47's or build the Aircraft and Tanks they designed. So they sell it to China (their "new stealth fighter) Who are they kidding?

They constantly supply our enemies with weapons. They have built the Iranian Nuclear program. And don't think for a second they wouldn't enrich Iran's ore themselves for a nice fat fee. The only reason I am doubting Iran has the bomb is because it hasn't went off yet.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08
They constantly supply our enemies with weapons. They have built the Iranian Nuclear program.

U.S. is no different dude, they supply their enemies with weapons all the time and America basically funded the entire Pakistani Nuclear program.

America looks in the mirror and sees USSR

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
ugh at this point i WANT a war i dont know why but im tired of all this $hit

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Let US deploy Missile Shields in Europe and let Russia deploy Missile Shields in South America.

done and done; the World is once again safe for all.

Canada's view =) LMAO!!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
They're not going to talk the US out of a missle defense shield, especially not with threats. There's no viable political position to be taken within the United States against something called the "missle defense shield." It's perceived as a defensive system, and anything that can be presented as making us safer is virtually unimpeachable in the mainstream political dialogue. Look at what is tolerated from the TSA under the pretext of preventative security, even though no plane has ever been blown up after taking off from an American airport.

It's interesting to me that Medvedev has adopted the position tha he has. Enhance offensive nuclear capability? Really? Like, maybe it will still come down to nuclear war between Russia and the US?

American's are over the cold war. They don't care about Russia anymore, and they don't perceive them as a threat. Russia's never in the news, and they're more concerned about having to fight China in the future. Medvedev playing it like this will only raise eyebrows in the US, and cause people to think to themselves, "Well, if that's how he's gonna be, we should definitely get to work on that missle defense shield..."

Perhaps the Russian defense contractors have hired American lobbyists to influence their government, and it's finally paying off...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Let US deploy Missile Shields in Europe and let Russia deploy Missile Shields in South America.

done and done; the World is once again safe for all.

Canada's view =) LMAO!!

That's what's up!

@OnceReturned
No one's complaining about the fact that it's a defensive shield, they're complaining that it could be changed to an offensive one! Either way they're playing a dangerous game pushing the world closer back to the Cold War days. If U.S. goes ahead with their plans without Russian consent then we'll face a new arms race. Why not let the Ruskies in to help if it's meant to be used against North Korea and Iran? U.S. is the king of hypocrisy.
edit on 18-5-2011 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Simply Awesome!!
That was hilarious, funniest 30secs ever

top topics

join