It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ralph Nader Warns Canada on a Single Unified North American Regulatory Regime

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
reply to post by here4awhile

You would hope so, but we've been on the 'harmonization' train for years now, you can trace its beginnings to NAFTA. After that there was the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP), which generated a lot of opposition an protest, so they stopped talking about it so much, but it's still happening slowly and covertly, bit by bit. I'd like to think there would be a popular uprising, but they're doing it incrementally and people are too apathetic for the most part to be engaged or informed. Canadians just voted (61.4% of them)
, and that's about as much politics as most of them will think about. ...sigh...

Yeah, back in 1994 with NAFTA people knew it wasn't going to lead to anything good. I was 21 and even I knew that this would only benefit the US.

Guess I was right.

It's been a slow and deliberate movement I agree. Nothing good can come of forcing two nations together at the whim of the Elite.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Buddha1098
The NAU is all about getting our fair share of the resources in the Arctic.

We already have our fair share so I don't understand this point. In fact, our share is so fair that the US wants it.

Yes, and so does Russia. Want to pick sides? Being anti-American is easy. But to imply that Canada's destiny isn't inextricably linked to the super-Power directly south of them is naive. Russia planted a flag on the arctic sea floor. You want to honor that flag? Because you don't have the luxury of not taking sides.

Of course we'll be worse off and we won't get our fair share of our own resources.

When has Canada ever gotten their fair share? They have been shipping raw goods out of their country since before their inception (Hudson Bay Company).

edit on 21-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
reply to post by here4awhile

You would hope so, but we've been on the 'harmonization' train for years now, you can trace its beginnings to NAFTA. After that there was the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP), which generated a lot of opposition an protest, ..

Actually, it predates NAFTA. Canada has ALWAYS shipped out their natural resources. Recent legislation has merely streamlined the process.

Much of this anti"NAU" hysteria is just plain ol anti-Americanism, something Canadians are programmed to engage in. Of course, as others in this thread admit, it's the US military they will come running to when those resources are threatened.

Canada is making a big stink lately out of how many of their raw goods they are shipping to CHINA as if that is an improvement over the USA?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Much of this anti"NAU" hysteria is just plain ol anti-Americanism, something Canadians are programmed to engage in. Of course, as others in this thread admit, it's the US military they will come running to when those resources are threatened.

antiNAUHysteria?

Anti-Americanism? Really? That old song? How about just Pro-Canadian? Or can't we love our Nation as much as Americans love theirs?

Tell you what, why doesn't the US just adopt the Canadian Flag when the NAU comes into play? That seems to be fair to me. Then see how many Americans turn Anti-Canadian instead of just Anti-Everyone-Else.

And running to the US for protection of our resources? Is this what the US is doing all over the World? Protecting other Nations that would otherwise steal that Nation's resources like oil? How generous and Un-Selfish Washington is. Always thinking of others. lol

If you actually think it's a good thing, I can only believe that you don't understand the implications of what is really happening and are just choosing this thread for a typical Anti-Anything-But-America post. Read the thread and you will see that there are Americans not wanting this either.

Then again, they speak from actual knowledge of the subject.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Anti-Americanism? Really? That old song? How about just Pro-Canadian? Or can't we love our Nation as much as Americans love theirs?

Who said you cant love your country?

Tell you what, why doesn't the US just adopt the Canadian Flag when the NAU comes into play? That seems to be fair to me. Then see how many Americans turn Anti-Canadian instead of just Anti-Everyone-Else.

Thanks for proving my point about this being about anti-American sentient and not an informed critique of the substance of any proposed legislation.

And running to the US for protection of our resources? Is this what the US is doing all over the World? Protecting other Nations that would otherwise steal that Nation's resources like oil? How generous and Un-Selfish Washington is. Always thinking of others. lol

You are missing the point. You imply Canadians dont need the US, but then you say they can lean on the US military for help when they need. Which is it?

If you actually think it's a good thing, I can only believe that you don't understand the implications of what is really happening and are just choosing this thread for a typical Anti-Anything-But-America post. Read the thread and you will see that there are Americans not wanting this either.

I'm not saying I'm for it. I'm asking those who are against it if they can define what parts of it are actually NOT in Canada's interest.

Then again, they speak from actual knowledge of the subject.

Cute.
It's unfortunate tht you feel the need to engage in personal attacks and straw men debates, but I suspect tht is the tactic of someone emotionally invested in a topic they KNOW little about.

Can you illustrate for me what specific aspects of any "NAU" policy will actually negatively effect YOU as a Canadian. Specifics, please.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Well I for one can say being from the States and have immigrated to Canada the negatives would grossly out-way the positives. #1 would be health care, for any faults that are in the Canadian Health Care System at least there is one!! #2 Education - My 2 sons attended High School in NY, which has one of the higher educational standards in the States. Prior to transferring to their new school in Ontario, I had a conversation with a few of their teachers.In said conversation was told that the educational standards in Canada were actually higher than the school they where attending. I could go on but I must grab my mukluk's and capture my beaver.....he just chewed his way through the igloo... Catch ya later Eh!!!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrussian63
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Well I for one can say being from the States and have immigrated to Canada the negatives would grossly out-way the positives. #1 would be health care, for any faults that are in the Canadian Health Care System at least there is one!! #2 Education - My 2 sons attended High School in NY, which has one of the higher educational standards in the States.

The "Prosperity' act nor 'deep integration' will not make the US and Canada one country. It's about strengthening N. American border's in the coming age. It has nothing to do with Canadian Health Care or Education.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Canada’s prudent bank regulation prevented a Wall Street style collapse of your economy. Please recognize your peoples’ right to know now about what is going on in these deliberations over “deep integration.” Sincerely yours, Ralph Nader Washington, DC

Interesting that other people were taken in by this nonsense pumped out by the Harper government...

Actually the banks in Canada did nothing different from US banks, but the the government, through the CMHC, tossed 500 billion dollars into a scheme to cover any mortgage defaults, thus protecting Canadian banks from any risk - all at taxpayer expense.

CMHC

The rhetoric of a stable economy in Canada is rubbish... taxpayers here have bailed out banks to a far greater extent than in the USA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join