It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS show 60 minutes gets caught in sensationalist, biased and faulty reporting…

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
"News" is no longer unbiased. It is all for entertainment purposes only. It should come with a disclaimer like my fake ID used to have!

It goes way beyond entertainment. They have an alterior motive. They want to destroy someone or something, or prop up someone or something. It comes down to the abuse of power through deception, and they've become very good at it.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I talked to somebody that their only news sources are TV.

I asked them if what they thought about OBL, they said "well he is supposedly dead" and I asked why they think that and they had no idea. I explained to them that its a fact they dumped his body in the ocean within 24 hrs of his death and they looked at me and said, thats no fact what are you talking about? xD

I asked them if they had any clue about mississippi river, they looked at me like I was nuts when I told them the river is way over flooded and is dividing our nation into 2 parts, "that would be on the news if that was true" was the reply i got back

I wish I could help them, but they have 3 kids and are do not have a computer, so It would be impossible for them to know, which is why I think most people just believe the news without question.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jrocbaby

I was watching an hour long special report on the floods in Mississippi last night so perhaps your friend is not really even watching all that much news? Are you suggesting that the television news has been covering up this story because your friend did not know about it? I am trying to figure out your point.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

We know the news is all fixed. So that sad thing is we can ask are we surprised?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I too don't watch TV anymore and have done my best to simply keep my disgust to myself when my wife and daughter rush to watch their favorite programs,like "American Idol" and thankfully I have turned my garage and loft into a home aside the home for when my wife's mother visits 1/2 the year from Wis., as that old hang loves Opra, Game Shows and pretty much the sickest crap produced.

However, I did stand in the kitchen and listen to the "Hit Piece" 60 Minutes produced on the "Sovereign Society" movement. I stopped trusting 60 Minutes years ago when I spit and walked away wishing Andy Roonie would go the way of the Dinosaurs after hearing his BS on the "VERA CHIP" and how he'd like to have one.

Whatever the case, 60 Minutes is as Sick and a Huge Propaganda Asset for the Federalist-Globalists Traitors who ironically pretend that they represent the "Establishment" and what they spun out on the "Sovereigns" was classic, as was their use of the Father-Son team that killed the cops. It was so obvious a "Hit Piece" intended to stir sympathy against individuals and groups rebelling against what the government has been doing but the question is, how many Americans really agree with 60 Minutes.

I do not consider it prudent to say more about this, except that a clear mind will learn as much from the lies and BS as the truth.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I used to actually like 60 long time ago, now I think it's just garbage...
edit on 19-5-2011 by blackrain17 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I watched it by accident the other night Bandit and frankly, I couldn't believe that 60 minutes had sunk that low. It truly was a hit piece designed to make anyone endorsing the sovereign citizen movement look like neo-nazis and trailer trash.
Appalling.
No, they didn't bother to even look into the facts of what the concept is about (forget the notion that the people are the sovereigns in their own nation - somebody else owns you! got it? ).

If we are not sovereigns we are slaves, it's that simple.

I will NEVER watch 60 minutes again.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I really don't get your point, SuperModerator

Where 60 Minutes focused on a band of largely poor Americans who effectively believe the U.S. government is illegitimate, our story was about expatriation, which remains a fully legal, non-violent, non-confrontational option for Americans who wish to renounce citizenship for asset-protection reasons – a move that ultimately would result in not owing taxes to the U.S. government, legally.

How does being a rich American investor who seeks to secure his-her assets by becoming expat is more legitimate than poor people who do it to protect their basic rights and

The Sovereign Society really seem to be nothing else than globalists who seek to fully benefit from the globalization of markets by going beyond American citizenship... using lawful and "non-violent" means (of course that excluded relying on mercenaries and more legitimate police, right?) to become literally above the Law, for "asset-protection reasons"... which means for bigger profits and to secure these.

Just a nice term for "international crooks".

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Originally posted by Echtelion

I really don't get your point, SuperModerator

Where 60 Minutes focused on a band of largely poor Americans who effectively believe the U.S. government is illegitimate, our story was about expatriation, which remains a fully legal, non-violent, non-confrontational option for Americans who wish to renounce citizenship for asset-protection reasons – a move that ultimately would result in not owing taxes to the U.S. government, legally.

How does being a rich American investor who seeks to secure his-her assets by becoming expat is more legitimate than poor people who do it to protect their basic rights to live the way they want? Sovereignty is only legit when EVERYONE, regardless of the social class, has access to it.

The Sovereign Society really seem to be nothing else than globalists who seek to fully benefit from the globalization of markets by going beyond American citizenship... using lawful and "non-violent" means (of course that excluded relying on mercenaries and more legitimate police, right?) to become literally above the Law, for "asset-protection reasons"... which means for bigger profits and to secure these.

An investor-related Sovereign Society? Just a nice term for "international crooks"!
edit on 19/5/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/5/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Excellent thread. Our media news, in my opinion, is little more than propaganda and entertainment at this point. Your example is a good one, but just one example. Its nice to catch them fabricating, because it drives the point home for many people, but often more telling is what never makes it on the news. Like the police action against students having a block party, coverage of Americans protesting, coverage of the war dead, etc.

But here is another media exaggeration.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Originally posted by Illustronic
If they want to renounce their citizenship and not pay taxes then they need to move out of the sovereign nation to do so, otherwise they are using the resources they wish not to contribute to.

If you visit the expat websites you'll see that they're already doing so. They're living in countries like Panama, Chile & South Africa where is much easier to create or invest in a business and be able to live properly off of the fruits of their labor.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

Because this is the alternative:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I find all these "I threw my TV out" posts a bit over the top. There is so much good information on the TV, just don't watch the BS and you'll be fine.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The American propaganda machine has no limits and is contagious.
I haven't lived in the states in 3 years.
You know things are bad when the natives are even leaving.
I love my land
I love my country
I just don't agree with who and what they are doing to it.
It's a big world out there.
Check it out.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
News is contolled just as all the media is. Its another arm of the govt. Social programming.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This may be unpopular, but if you were born a citizen of the U.S., grew up in the U.S., and have worked legitimatly in the U.S., why not pay taxes? As long as a person lives on U.S. soil, he/she is under the protection of the U.S. In the most literal sense, we are not being attacked openly because of our military (asymmetirci terrorism aside); criminals do what they do knowing that the law enforcement infrastructure is ready to deal with them; complaints aside, we have at least a minimal amount of education with opportunities for those academically inclined to excel; we have paved roads, sturdy bridges, and interstate system. We have an extensive electrical grid and water pumping and drainage system. We have so many STANDARDS and INFRASTRUCTURES that some folks take for granted. And so much more. All because of revenue generated by public taxing.

Yes, we can point out all of the flaws in the world, but I believe that no other country with so many people enjoys the benefits that we do. Sure, in smaller countries with tiny populations, they may enjoy a better overall standard of living. With 300+ million souls in the U.S., we're not doing badly. Can we improve? Yes. Are there flaws? Yes. But we have OPPORTUNITY here. You make of life what you will. You play your hand to its fullest here. I would be that America has the largest number of self-made, self-educated millionaires in the world. Rags to riches because a person had a neat idea. Where else can a company like "Ask a Ninja.com" make multi-millionaires out of "nobodies?" America.

If you live here, then live by the rules --or help change them and EVOLVE them in legal ways. Pay taxes and contribute your fair share to the public good. If you have a dream toward success, then LIVE it, or do your best to live it (legally and without infringing on others' rights). I just don't get renouncing citizenship and wanting to remain in America. I have to admit, I don't know much about these people. I don't know if they've ever been overseas to Spain, England, Korea, Afghanistan or any third-world countries. If so, they might miss the U.S. of A. Until a person experiences a LACK of the infrastructures possible because of public taxing they just have no idea what they are taking for granted.

Perhaps it should be mandatory for every citizen to work for two years overseas in a third world situation. I say two years because the message will sink in better if that person doesn't arrive already counting days until he or she leaves. If only for one year, it's just a countdown. For two years, at least during the first year, they might just focus on where they are (third world poverty) instead of wanting to return home (USA). The popular American mindset would be dramatically different if we were forced to endure third world conditions for two years at the age of 18. Now, of course, we would be fully taken care of (clean facilities, food, medical care, military protection, etc.) in that third world country, while building homes, laying pipes, connecting wires, paving roads, etc. Essentially, it would be a mandatory term of service for HUD and humanitarian projects. The only way out of this kind of contribution would be volunteering for military service for two years at the age of 18. No exemptions from either service just because your parents are wealthy or politicians or anything. You serve 2 years overseas in less than ideal conditions making that part of the world better. Then you come home.

And then, if you don't appreciate "home" anymore, feel free to go to a country of your choice. For some reason, I think there would be far less complaining after such a life-invigorating experience. What this country needs more from its citizens is CHARACTER and INTEGRITY. Many folks who complain have never lifted a finger towards serving their country. People tend to appreciate more what they earn. For most, they have all of what we have and they haven't worked toward the overall good. They've worked only for their personal good.

This won't be popular in this thread, I imagine. I highly recommend actually going overseas and living there for a while before complaining about how bad we have it here, though.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm new here but a bit taken back by the premise of this thread. Not by the lack of objectivity of 60 Minutes but rather by thread author and comments by other "mod/admins/posters" on this site.

I've read, digested, considered every single reply and find it odd that NOT ONE SINGLE respondent mentioned the crux of the story revolving around the two police officers who were cowardly gunned down at the hands of two members of this violent group.

Where is the outrage over the ruthless murder of two law enforcement officers during a routine traffic stop? I personally find the implications of a renegade faction who think they are above the law troubling to say the least.

If anything the bias by the thread author and those sympathetic to that sentiment are FAR MORE egregious in my newbie humble opinion.

What the heck is this place Stormfront lite?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

The Federal Reserve bank is a private banking entity which has a legislated monopoly on monetary policy and interest rates; ALL (emphasizing ALL) of the federal taxes we pay go directly to service the debt our government has with this bank, not one penny goes anywhere else. The annual taxes on the fruits of our labor go there; precisely as those who founded our nation warned us against.

Maxmars, I absolutely love this quote, it is very succinct and to the point. Now, what do we do about it? How do we get the masses off of their collective rears and to CARE enough to stop this.

What isn't spoken and what one has to read between the lines in the above.... if this is true, and it is, then it basically brings into focus that the entire Federal system is a sham. That statement picks at the edge of it and thinking people, who exam that statement will eventually see the rest of it.

That is why, the unraveling and dismantling of the Federal Reserve should be THE issue of our time, every other problem we have can be traced back to this hideous "Monster from Jekyll Island". If a politician isn't talking about this s/he must be either a.) uninformed or b.) part of the conspiracy.

If they are uninformed and then come to know the truth and do not start speaking out against the Reserve, then they do not deserve the honor of serving as my elected representative.

If the people reading this care, you MUST get involved at the grass roots. This means starting out NOW finding like minded individuals and getting involved with your county political machine. Whether or not you are a R or a D, be prepared to find a lot of jingoistic neocons in both parties that will call you a kook.
edit on 5/19/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MaskedDebater

That's because they are not really the topic of this conversation. 60 minutes, whether deliberately or not confusing/grouping the sovereign society with this violent group (whose act of gunning down the police officers is despicable), is the actual thread topic.

A new thread can be started to discuss that subject.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wait.......

You mean to tell me that the MSM, (aka large corporations that profit off of advertising based on sensationalizing everything) failed to uphold their ethical and fact based news system??!?

The Horror! The Horror!

How can this be surprising to anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join