It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS show 60 minutes gets caught in sensationalist, biased and faulty reporting…

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
on the Sovereign society, a website for American expatriates who are interested in investing and asset protection via legal and non-violent ways (renouncing U.S. citizenship a.o.) .

They have either deliberately or stupidly grouped them together with groups of poor, violent groups in the U.S. who refuse to obey laws and avoid paying taxes by illegal means.

Here is an open letter by The Wall Street Journal ‘s Jeff D. Opdyke concerning their show on “sovereign citizens”

www.wealthvault.net...

Some of you have seen the recent 60 Minutes segment titled “Sovereign Citizens,” in which the CBS news program examined a marginalized faction of disaffected Americans who live by a largely anarchist belief system and which, 60 Minutes says, the FBI considers a domestic terror threat.
To build its case that the so-called sovereign-citizen movement is a menace to America, 60 Minutes pointed its camera at The Sovereign Society website, holding for about six seconds on a single headline: Never Pay U.S. Taxes Again – Legally. As the shot closes in on the headline and Sovereign Society logo, reporter Byron Pitts asserts that the Internet is full of “an endless stream of mind-numbing seminars on how, with just the right paperwork, you too can beat the system.”
Had Mr. Pitts, his researchers or 60 Minutes’ legal team bothered to read beyond the headline the producers chose to emphasize, they would have instantly realized that The Sovereign Society story they played up had nothing to do with the premise of the 60 Minutes segment.
Where 60 Minutes focused on a band of largely poor Americans who effectively believe the U.S. government is illegitimate, our story was about expatriation, which remains a fully legal, non-violent, non-confrontational option for Americans who wish to renounce citizenship for asset-protection reasons – a move that ultimately would result in not owing taxes to the U.S. government, legally.

Enjoy,

Related link: www.sovereignsociety.com...
Related link: www.cbsnews.com... (60 minutes segment)

(This post was made a bit hastily, but I hope it's to the point for you members)...

edit on 18-5-2011 by TheBandit795 because: Added link to 60 minutes segment

+18 more 
posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Thats why my t.v. hasn't been on since last year....it's all fantasy and no truths...

+38 more 
posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The 60-minutes segment was a production which reeked of social engineering and public relations spin.

It is clear that we are expected to associate the 'clout' and 'legitimacy' of this well-respected news entertainment production with the 'truth' and 'facts.'

It is no surprise to me that they would associate this group, (and any other that might inspire others to research the 'construct' which our government uses to engender revenue flow,) to believe that it, and they, are all part of a disease afflicting our society.

I suspect it is because, as some have contended, that a few more Americans every day are beginning to ask why some apparently well-spoken and erudite people are genuinely convinced that there is something amiss with the entire scheme behind the nations tax system.

Considering that in my experience, nearly everyone I ever told the following, has either called me a misinformed fool or liar- only to return and apologize, or a conspiracy kook (which are the one's who don't bother with trivial things like reading) and disengage from conversing with me. Here it is... you ready for it?....

The Federal Reserve bank is a private banking entity which has a legislated monopoly on monetary policy and interest rates; ALL (emphasizing ALL) of the federal taxes we pay go directly to service the debt our government has with this bank, not one penny goes anywhere else. The annual taxes on the fruits of our labor go there; precisely as those who founded our nation warned us against.

Now, many people just can't accept this. They don't want this to be true. They WANT to hear that it's all conspiracy kookery, and that the federal Reserve is somehow subordinate to the government. I suspect that many of those in the 60-minutes production team agree. They wouldn't know or care how to start unraveling the mystery of the Fed as it has taken scores of authors and hundreds of independent researchers like us to determine.

It's much easier to tell the acquiescent that what they believe should be true - is. So every politician is a hero, every expenditure is vital, every war is necessary, every capitulation to international bankers is inevitable, and everything the people think they should have is a frivolous 'entitlement.' Among the frivolous entitlements people might want, freedom from oppressive taxation is the most heinous.

Soon this facet of our world will become part of the political discourse... and it seems a prudent strategy to associate the topic with Elvis living at Area 51, and trailer-trash low-life's who want to evade taxation.

By the way, can anyone guess which members of the 60-minutes company are members of the social club known as the Council in Foreign Relations, or which will be in attendance at the next Bohemian Grove, or Bilderburg gatherings?.... this IS a conspiracy board after all.....

edit on 18-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
Thats why my t.v. hasn't been on since last year....it's all fantasy and no truths...

I wouldn't have a TV if it was only me but my gf likes galaxy radio. I rather not listen to galaxy, I bet they send subliminal messages lol

Not really on subject, by she also wants some DD beats headphones and I keep telling her she's been manipulated by the ads has those headphones are too expensive for the quality they have and the look isn't that cool to begin with. Music is a weapon and MSM music is pointed at us.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wait a second, you mean to tell me that there is an elite group of people who have more money than they know what to do with, running our monetary system?

You mean to tell me that people who are either so out of touch with what is going in our country because they have so much money or the just dont care, control all of the money in this fine counrty

You sir, are a kook!

I agree with you 100%, the above is my attempt at complete sarcasim

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Hmmm... Thanks Maxmars, I didn't know that Byron Pitts is a member of the CFR.

What I find sad is that now so many people will now just dismiss these expat sites and associate them with some fring, kook, anti-government and law idiots without actually getting in to the material and seeing for themselves that it's all about expanding their borders, living and doing business in different countries (not only for corporations) and actually being able to help themselves and others and live the elusive dream (chased by so many in the U.S. and other developed nations).

Just because they watched 60 minutes..

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Without a doubt the media is one of the reasons why we are getting ever more ignorant. The media doesn't cover what is actually happening anymore, but rather broadcasts what attracts must watchers, is commercially must interesting and ultimately best for their profits. They just go for there own sake. I don't say that it is this channel in particular. I say almost any of them.

There are few people on this planet who still think for themselves anymore. A lot of people just repeat what they have heard somewhere and keep repeating it. And before you know, everybody believes it is true.

We can basically talked in to anything and out of anything.

If this continues we get dumber by the day.
edit on 18-5-2011 by lightyears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

My television went in the garbage 4 years ago!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So a Major Media Outlet got caught shilling for the dim/libs....So where is the news?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

This is the standard operating procedure for these "news" shows.

An isolated lapse? Consider the Emmy-winning 60 Minutes segment in March 1981 revealing how the most common type of tire rim used on heavy trucks can fly off, killing or maiming tire mechanics and other bystanders. Again CBS relied on film from the Insurance Institute, this time showing an exploding rim shredding two luckless dummies, an adult and a child. Such footage, said Mike Wallace, "shows graphically what can happen when a wheel rim explodes." Insurance Institute spokesman Ben Kelley (who had also appeared on the Jeep segment) explains that a truck tire is under enormous pressure. "And if that metal, for any reason, dislodges, it fires off like a shell out of a cannon."

Again, 60 Minutes did not see fit to tell viewers exactly why the metal happened to dislodge in the film clip. It turned out that, according to the Insurance Institute, the rims had been "modified" to get them to explode for the demonstration.

Well, actually, the rims' locking mechanism had been deliberately shaved off for the test. Under questioning in a later deposition, an Insurance Institute employee acknowledged that the testers had to go back and shave off more and more of the metal in stages before finally getting off enough of it--an estimated 70 percent-that the rims would explode.

Should 60 Minutes have to give back its Emmy? Nah. Maybe they can just take the statuette to a machine shop and have 70 per cent of it filed off. Then they can keep the rest.

N JUNE 1978, at the height of the Ford Pinto outcry, ABC's 20/20 reported "startling new developments": evidence that full-size Fords, not just the subcompact Pinto, could explode when hit from behind. The show's visual highlight was dramatic. Newly aired film from tests done at UCLA in 1967 by researchers under contract with the automaker showed a Ford sedan being rear-ended at 55 mph and bursting into a fireball.

"ABC News has analyzed a great many of Ford's secret rear-end crash tests," confided correspondent Sylvia Chase. And they showed that if you owned a Ford--not just a Pinto, but many other models--what happened to the car in the film could happen to you. The tone was unrelentingly damning, and by the show's end popular anchorman Hugh Downs felt constrained to add his own personal confession. "You know, I've advertised Ford products a few years back, Sylvia, and at the time, of course, I didn't know and I don't think that anybody else did that this kind of ruckus was going to unfold." You got the idea that he would certainly think twice before repeating a mistake like that.

If ABC really analyzed those UCLA test reports, it had every reason to know why the Ford in the crash film burst into flame: there was an incendiary device under it. The UCLA testers explained their methods in a 1968 report published by the Society of Automotive Engineers, fully ten years before the 20/20 episode.

Source

CBS's Mike Wallace got caught again; this time fooling his "60 Minutes" audience with a phony document that made it look like a U.S. Customs official was trying to help Mexican drug smugglers.

On April 20, 1997, Wallace hosted a "60 Minutes" segment that claimed Customs officials were allowing trucks with drugs to cross easily into the United States.

As proof of his allegations Wallace cited what he claimed was a U.S. Customs memo written by Rudy Camacho, then the San Diego Customs district director.

Last week, Michael Horner, a Customs department whistleblower who had anonymously provided Wallace and "60 Minutes" with the memo, admitted he had fabricated the document.

Horner, 47, pleaded guilty to two felony counts last week.

The bogus memo "60 Minutes" said was written by Camacho provided instructions to Customs inspectors at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry to give easy clearance to a trucking company suspected of drug smuggling for a Mexican cartel.

Wallace never bothered to interview Camacho before broadcasting the allegations. Camacho later sued Wallace and won. The case got almost no national publicity. As part of its settlement, "60 Minutes" apologized on-air for making the allegations about Camacho.

Still, Wallace, who made his career demanding others answer his questions, has been ducking questions from the press about the Camacho controversy.

Source

On September 8, 2004, Dan Rather cited “exclusive information, including documents” to justify major CBS Evening News and 60 Minutes stories alleging that George W. Bush shirked his duties when he was in the Texas Air National Guard in the 1960s and 1970s. Within a few hours of those documents being posted on CBS News’ Web site, however, typography experts voiced skepticism that the documents had actually originated with their alleged author and Bush’s former commanding officer, the late Lt. Colonel Jerry Killian.

As the evidence mounted, Rather stubbornly clung to the idea that his story was bulletproof, and he derided critics as partisans and Internet rumormongers. When he “apologized” on September 20, Rather would not concede that the documents were forgeries, only that he and CBS could “no longer vouch for their authenticity.” On November 23, 2004, CBS announced that Rather would soon be leaving his job as anchor of the CBS Evening News. An investigative report released on January 10, 2005 faulted CBS’s rush to put the flawed story on the air and their “stubborn” defense in the days that followed, but oddly decided that they could not blame partisan bias.

Source

There are plenty more where those came from.

"News" is no longer unbiased. It is all for entertainment purposes only. It should come with a disclaimer like my fake ID used to have!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I find it hilarious that I accidently watched this and know what you're saying as I was choked at what I was really hearing. I couldn't believe they take such a bold initiative to call out people like that.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Please... This doesn't have anything to do with any political affiliation besides the libertrarians...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
For those of you who are underwhelmed, I don't blame you.

But I will presume to tell you that your media will live up (or down) to the expectation you set for them. We have long past the point of simply not paying attention to their productions. Now we must watch them closely, because they are lying to everyone we know.... including the rest of the world.

Haven't you ever wondered why there is such a general distaste for 'Americans?" It's because of what they are told about us, that's what makes them feel that way. Ask around, you're on an international board. You'll see.

While that was happening, we were all going around like 'whatever' rationalizing their attitude as a poor reflection on them, with our heads held high. Meanwhile, the powers that be (TPTB) have been using the sentiment to further their ends... most of which I needn't tell you.

Now, they're lying to our compatriots. You know them, they watch TV and don't really talk to you much.

If you accept it as a matter "of course," you may later regret not having allowed yourself to get a bit more motivated over these kind of lapses.

Of course, you can just laugh it off; but I think our children would appreciate it more if we took it a bit more seriously because they're going to have to live in the mess we are going to leave behind. And I doubt very much they will be taught the truth in school. For example, ask any accounting or economics student you find ... "What exactly is 'fractional reserve lending'?" and watch them stare at you blankly.

Better to start keeping track of the lies, than to be gob-smacked when you are called a lunatic to your face for repeating some of the real news you find here. It will not fit in with their idea of what's happening in the world, or your own neighborhoods for that matter.

It isn't enough to boycott television anymore. We need to start at least monitoring what the world is being told. No one else will do it for you....

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Maybe not the story itself...only the culprits who show a clear bias towards a party,rather than remain objective,would get called out for something else.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

this is not the first time
and i have not watch them since the 70s because of faulty reporting
now my tv is cartoons 95% of the time because my grandkids live here the other 5% is two and half men
need somthing dumb to watch
i get my news from internet
and some from this site

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
What aggravates me, is that they are still doing it. Still the same basic name calling and stubborn "La la la" attitude. Humans have a vile history of not ASKING for facts. The ones that do, well, here we are.
Crazy conspiracy theories turn out to be true even after the majority saying one would have to BE crazy to believe in them. This is why those who question the truth are important. The list is long and growing continuously. Let's start looking into 'crazy' ideas before we discount them as a people. Even after all the marks on the records of those who would and have hidden the truth, why must we insist on believing everything we are told without question. It's our right to have an opinion differently from the released 'truth'. Though the majority refused to accept anything labeled as a 'conspiracy theory' and discount such references without further investigation simply for it's unfortunate nomenclature. Yes, the world and it's goings on is a horrifying place under the smokescreen. Most are content to let these events unfold without knowledge of them. For ignorance is bliss........Right?

However for me, I believe the world could be closer to paradise than we even aspire to if knowledge flowed freely. We could, as a people, make decisions that would serve the popular opinion.
Maybe, just maybe, we could even start recognizing ourselves as 'people of earth' rather than 'American/iranian/chinese/sudanese/ect...'. How about that, making decisions together? Does it make sense? Or are we still so arrogant that we think because of our borders that makes us imbued with the power to know more than that guy on that piece of land over there.
Certainly there is a perspective problem at work here.
Do what we are told, think what we are told, obey as we are told. That is the way of the world since the beginning of those who profess to be in power first realized that they had said power over their subjects.
I'm sure deep down most people feel this. But we are scared, scared of change, scared of disillusionment, scared of the truth. Because that means the knowledge that makes us who we are might change, and people like who they are. We don't know how to be anything than what we are.
That also means we have to admit to being wrong on occasion, and if you havn't noticed, most really hate doing that. *sigh*

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
60 minutes is only one small facet of a general slide into deceitful reporting going on. Even a supposedly unsullied CBC panders unabashedly to the powers that be (not just the ruling government). Canadian broadcasters, personalities and the general mishmash of talking heads available on radio, television and newsprint spin whatever begs opinion into whichever suits their agendas best. We now have our very own Fox News North alive and kicking with Sun Media. Whatever you choose to visit most will eventually shape your thinking.

There is only one safe haven left and that is interactive social media, whether it's the comments section on news websites, the blogosphere, Twitter or (sure, I'll say it) ATS. When a story comes out, it's always beneficial to read what people have to say on the subject and worth a million to be able to have your own say. Public commentary, so new to this world, is changing everything, whether it's in Egypt, Columbia, America or Taiwan. The power which people like you and I have is just beginning to have an impact, but it's going to change the way we've been spoonfed ever since the printing press was invented.

'They' no longer just talk to us... we're talking back and that's immense.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I cannot, for the life of me find why peope think this program is worthy of an hour of their life.
After Rather got the boot for fabricating documents, I knew the jig was up for this show, had suspicions waaay earlier. I remember in H.S. being taught the essence of investigative reporting is who-what-where-when. Back then it was up to the reader, assuming the reader to be somewhat informed, to determine the WHY. Either we've become stupid or the media decided in the late 60'-early 70's to treat us like we are stupid.
As in our politicians, we are getting what the very vocal minority have deserved for us.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I saw it right after it aired. I couldn't believe the incredibly obvious bias. Of course, none of the sheep would see through the lies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join