It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't We Just Leave Religion Out Of Politics?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Divide and Conquer .. Our world is a mixture of many religions ,,why do politicians mix religion and politics?

Thomas Jefferson wrote, "Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."

Times have changed and it seems to me that religion is being used for a whole different reason .. to push or force people to accept a one religion theme would be striving for a one religion country.

Do you think Church and State should be separated?

Why do Christians side with republicans ?
Whereas Liberals don’t preach religion into the political format as much or hardly ever.

IMO I think we need to hear what the people have say..

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Honestly I think that as a nation we are losing our belief in God altogether.

Along with our freedoms.

Maybe Jefferson was onto something?

Separation between church & state should be the #1 priority for every believer. I am free to believe what I want! That is fantastic. The stronger my faith, the more strongly I believe it is none of the government's business.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

I think that is a bold opinion stating "Christians always side with republicans".....I am a Christian and I side with whoever I feel is right....Which is normally neither Democrat or Republican...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Church and state ARE supposed to be separated. there are too many laws and references based on religion to have a well balanced society. I don't need to hear the President talking about God just like I don't need to hear about God from anyone else. The government IS a business, not a church. when you get a bunch of people making decisions based on their religious beliefs it always seems to end up not going so well.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
My opinion is that it is important to know what religion they are to understand why they think the way they do.

"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible."
George Washington

link   
Simple solution to all the problems of politics and religion.

Separation of state and myself.

link   
Church and state ARE supposed to be separated. there are too many laws and references based on religion to have a well balanced society. I don't need to hear the President talking about God just like I don't need to hear about God from anyone else. The government IS a business, not a church. when you get a bunch of people making decisions based on their religious beliefs it always seems to end up not going so well.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The country is as diverse as it's ever been. If you don't happen to notice that than you haven't researched your American history well enough.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

I think that is a bold opinion stating "Christians always side with republicans".....I am a Christian and I side with whoever I feel is right....Which is normally neither Democrat or Republican...

I did not say "Christians always side with Republicans"
I SAID ......"Why do Christians side with republicans ?"
But why do many republicans mention religion or include religion in their political format

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It's easy. Most Christians are told in Church it is their job to spread the "Good News" about Christ blah, blah, blah. So, most of them feel the need to be preachy. Couple that with their mission to make everyone a God-fearing Christian, and you have an instant political group ready to elect the first person who invokes Jesus or God. In actuality, it's a great political strategy. My problem with them is that they need to understand there is room for everyone in this country. But they can't accept anyone that isn't Christian, they don't understand that people can be different, they surely do not understand Live and Let Live. Look, if you want to be against abortion because you think it is murder, fine. But rather than make some already traumatized teen even more traumatized by making her walk the gauntlet of pro-lifers on her way to Planned Parenthood, they should adopt these unwanted babies. Put your money where your mouth is, and actually help the situation, rather than make an already agonizing decision more painful. And what about their other wedge issue, gay marriage. Well, all I'll say about that is that the Bible also condemns anyone who eats shellfish the same as those who are gay. And how many of you Christians out there eat shellfish? Whoops!

In conclusion, I was raised Roman Catholic, and went to Catholic school. Funny how they never taught us about the period of European history where the Pope was no different than a King or Emperor, not making decisions based on faith or the Bible or anything like that, only making decisions that would benefit his seat. You know, things like starting crusades and, as no one would suspect, the Spanish Inquisition. I have no problem with people who have faith, it is your prerogative to believe in something there is absolutely no proof for. As many have probably stated before, there is more evidence pointing to UFOs being intelligently controlled ETs, than there is for the existence of God. Religion is nothing more than a wedge. A tool to make some believe they are predestined for greater things than they actually are, but that is another thing religion is, a crutch for those who are hopeless and need to have that sense of belonging that they are missing elsewhere in their lives. And all this goes for all religions, not just Christians. I would have just as much a problem with a Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Taoist, Muslim, etc doing the same. The Founding Fathers kept religion out of government for a reason, so I find it funny that when the FFs say guns, repubs say YES! When FFs say limited Government the Republicans say YES! But when you say no religion in politics, they conveniently point to a number of obscure throw away quotes in letters from the FFs to say NO they DID want religion in politics (even though most of FFs were secular humanists, a point they also like to gloss over.)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Do you think Church and State should be separated?

Yes and no. As the constitution says, congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion (no required state church, no laws pertaining directly to religion).

BUT, this does not necessarily mandate that any state function or property can have nothing to do with religion (saying prayer, having up the 10 commandments, etc.), in my interpretation - just that no one faith can be shown preferential treatment. If christians want to pray, they also have to allow muslim/jewish prayer - if christians want to put up a nativity scene, jews have to be allowed a menora, or hindus a giant cow (or whatnot).

Why do Christians side with republicans ?

Generally speaking, republicans are typically the "conservative" party, which means they want to keep things the way they historically were - liberals (typically) push for changes to social norms or existing structures, allowing more 'freedoms' such as relaxed drug policies, abortion, and so on - things that usually don't jive with the christian perception which they're unable to internalize and would seek to mandate on society instead of recognizing that this world is currently under different management and they should lead by example, not dictate.

Apparently, most christians think they can improve people by controlling their actions without realizing that prohibition, of anything, is doomed to abject failure.

People need to realize that the US is not a christian nation, even if some of its founders had strong religious beliefs. It was expressly set up as a land of liberty, where all could choose their way as long as no harm was done to another.

Seeking to control people (other than the citizens controlling their government) is wrong. If someone is not a threat to your liberty to worship as you see fit, don't be a threat to their liberty to live as they see fit. If you don't agree with what they do, show them a better way if you're able. But force, whether by one's own arm or by (mis)rule of government benefits none in the end, and is antithetical to a free society, as well as to christian liberty (I'm christian, and I disagree with a good deal of perceived christian orthodoxy - sorry guys).

All would do well to remember a little bit of the constitution, and learn well the good reasons for it. Article 6, paragraph 3:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Do as YOU will in light of what you see as good and right, but seek to push on none. Romans 14.4:

4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls.

Be well, but be wise also.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well I grew up when Racisim was at its peak .. and now it seems like it's a religious battle with our politicians
Can't wait till the slanderous election advertisements start .. Calling someone evil just because they have the wrong religion..... if your black its not right..t if your yellow its not right ..if your red its not right.. if your white its not right .. and then ... expect to have a world with out hate .. and then choosing how we should think when it comes to science or anything paranormal or denying stem cell research I mean the list goes on an on
edit on 18-5-2011 by NorthStargal52 because: spelling

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Church and state are supposed to be separated, however as the Atheists of Florida have found out - not everyone is willing to concede to the constitution.
After filing a lawsuit against the city for continuing to have prayers offered in meetings, the VP of AOF was arrested and her house ripped apart by investigators for appending the letters ESQ to her signature.
Shortly after this, a rift between a neighbors resulted in another arrest for her this time for "Making simulated sex sounds in the presence of a minor". Nevermind that she was in her own home, and the child was outside - presumably on the road or sidewalk. The neighbor has since dropped the complaint, but the charges remain.

www.newschief.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Definitely seperate, one is knowable, the other a bit of a mystery.
Why do politicians mix politics and religion? The same reason i wont take on a garden without loppers and a good pair of secateurs, they help me keep the vegetation in line.

This chap makes me chuckle, well spoken though wether you agree with him or not.

Politics and Religion

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Our political structure abuses religion in order to keep voters (who might otherwise agree on something) at each others throats. Issues like gay marriage and abortion shouldn't ever be brought up in a political arena. And... you ever wonder why they are so consistent?

Why are religious almost always Republican? Are the ideas of small government somehow intrinsically in line with biblical doctrine? Heck no! In fact, taking care of the helpless is. So what do they do? They make sure that the publicly conservative politicians stay on the right to split the voters.

Look at abortion... who is supposed to be about personal liberties and non-interference from the government? Republicans! Who is supposed to be protecting the rights of all life and give everybody an equal chance? Democrats! Yet they purposely decide to be backwards on that subject to keep the people split.

They play us like a fiddle.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yes they should be separated.

Unfortunately though that will never happen, due to those that are in control.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
IMO it just don't make sense to me to continue down this path .. it's time to change ..it's time to move forward talk about being stuck in the past .. we dont treat technology whith that mind set .. I don't hear anyone complaining about the Internet where there is just about anyting but yet we cant seem to agree on the more important isues.

It's true political madness .. Sarah Palin speaks out ..see link

abcnews.go.com...

Obama and his gay marriage approval and the "dont ask dont tell"
www.politico.com...

I can see this comming election being a real attack on religion and politics ..

Obama's Tricky Muslim Courtship

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

No I agree with you we should not be heading down this path.
But we will continue down this path, because it benefits those in power. Not the majority of the nation, because that is not important to them. What is important is their control/power and money.
The reason we have a different approach with technology is that it benefits them as well as us. Plain and simple.
Sad times.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yeah but I want to almost puke when it comes to political attack AD's the last election 2008

Was really way too much and that's how they choose to spend thier money ..wow .. we have people who really need help and I can think of better ways to spend money ...instead they throw it away .. on dumb crap ..

millions spent argueing and attacking each other .. Do these politicians really understand how foolish they look and narrow minded and here we sit worried about if we are going to loose our home or what have you ..

what good does it do??? I'd love to see a election campaign dicussing the real issues .. I just love how they avoid that and fill it with a bunch of nonsense such as //rallys and attack ads .. Stem cell research came out in attack ads
They need to have a bill that lays down some guidence rules or ethic rules about religion and false BS

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The whole concept of the USA is based on God, as famously stated in the Declaration of Independence:

''We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.''

Religion was not necessarily involved, but the above words - that were at the forefront of American independence and the proceeding Constitution - make it crystal clear that the principles at the heart of the foundation of the USA were necessitated by a belief in the existence of a higher power and an arbiter of justice.

I'm not American, and, personally speaking, I'm in favour of secularism, but no matter how much some may argue to the contrary, the fact of the matter is that the USA was formed and consequently shaped upon the founding fathers' belief in a God.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join