It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman's Spectacular Shuttle Launch Photos From Airplane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Spectators on the ground got a stunted view of space shuttle Endeavour's final launch Monday (May 16) when it vanished into a ceiling of clouds shortly after liftoff. However, some lucky passengers who happened to be in the air at the time saw the fantastic sight of the shuttle streaking its way to orbit.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e89a8113ccb.jpg[/atsimg]
Airline passenger Stefanie Gordon used an iPhone to snap this photo of the space shuttle Endeavour streaking toward space on May 16. Gordon was flying from New York to Palm Beach, Fla., aboard a Delta jet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cdadb2852431.jpg[/atsimg]
Another photo of Endeavour's May 16 launch, taken out an airplane window by passenger Stefanie Gordon.

Source:
www.space.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Cool photos!

And, before anyone gets any ideas...those blurry dots are lens flares, NOT UFOS!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Are you sure those aren't alien Orbs and GLF lightships flying into the screen through Stanley Kubrik's moon hoax fake sun prop?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's beautiful the way it punches through the clouds at the bottom.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Excellent photos, would love to of been on that flight.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
For anyone that remembers the missile launch thread from months ago:

Those photos are not of a rocket!!! They are just photos of a contrail from a jet.

edit on 18-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You are correct sir, it only LOOKS as though it is going vertical. This is just an optical illusion produced as it approaches the camera from the distant horizon....

heheheh

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hey look there are some Chinese Lanterns in the sky with the space shuttle!!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Those photos are not of a rocket!!! They are just photos of a contrail from a jet.

I don't quite get your point here.

Are you trying to say that this is somehow evidence that planes flying directly at an observer from over the horizon do NOT appear to be flying "straight up"?

I live under the major east-west route for planes flying in and out of the New York metro area (about 100 miles WNW of NY). Every day that the conditions are conducive to contrail production, I can see planes on the western horizon that look as if they are flying either straight up or straight down -- toward me and away from me. If all of those are missiles, then we are in trouble.

No -- this picture of the shuttle does not change the fact that planes near the horizon flying toward or away from an observer can look as if they are flying straight up or straight down.

edit on 5/18/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: grammar

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
These are beautiful photos, too bad obama has made sure that we will never see this again.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by butcherguy

I don't quite get your point here.
Are you trying to say that this is somehow evidence that planes flying directly at an observer from over the horizon do NOT appear to be flying "straight up"?

I live under the major east-west route for planes flying in and out of the New York metro area (about 100 WNW of NY). Every day that the conditions are conducive to contrail production, I can see planes on the western horizon that look as if they are flying either straight up or straight down -- toward me and away from me. If all of those are missiles, then we are in trouble.

No -- this picture of the shuttle does not change the fact that planes near the horizon flying toward or away from an observer can look as if they are flying straight up or straight down.

edit on 5/18/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: grammar

I was just recalling all of the hootenanny over the contrails vs missile launch arguments there.

It is quite obvious that this is a space shuttle launch. Now if the photo had been taken from the ground, it may not be as clear to see.

Sure, there are tons of contrails in the sky every day that could be misidentified as a missile launch if one is a moron. But there are also missile launches that can be misidentified as contrails too.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I wonder what they sprayed on the way up. You know everything that flys is spraying something evil. I read it on the internet so it must be true

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

OK -- I agree with you in general.

However, that incident with the alleged missile over LA a few months back looked like a contrail to me. I suppose it could have been a missile, but there is no evidence to believe it was anything other than a contrail.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Pitty she didn't have a CIRCULAR POLARIZER FILTER attached

Even put your sunglasses in front of it would help (if polarised) lol

Always always fit a Circular polarizer and a skylight (0 filter to protect it without lenscap - faster snapping
) to your SLR lenses.

edit on 18-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Missiles (and space shuttles) are much, much faster than jets. If something is seen leaving a trail for 10 or 15 minutes, it is not a missile.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Makes one feel all warm and cozey seeing lots of scratches on an Airplane WINDOW.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Missiles (and space shuttles) are much, much faster than jets. If something is seen leaving a trail for 10 or 15 minutes, it is not a missile.
I have no argument with the first statement.

I believe that there are suborbital rockets having a heavy payload that can appear to leave a trail for 10 minutes.

ETA:

For an intercontinental flight the boost phase takes 3 to 5 minutes

suborbital flight- wiki

At height, when boost phase terminates, it may be difficult to determine when engine cut-out actually occurs, making the trail appear to be continuing when it is not.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

OK -- I agree with you in general.

However, that incident with the alleged missile over LA a few months back looked like a contrail to me. I suppose it could have been a missile, but there is no evidence to believe it was anything other than a contrail.

I thought at first that the LA trail looked very odd for an airplane contrail, however, I believed before the thread finished that it was an airplane contrail. No hard evidence that it was a missile at all.

new topics

top topics

join