It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Splitting water breakthrough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

To achieve this, they have been studying complex catalysts designed to mimic the catalysts plants use to split water with sunlight. But the new study shows that there might be much simpler alternatives. "Birnessite, it turns out, is what does the work. Like other elements in the middle of the Periodic Table, manganese can exist in a number of what chemists call oxidation states. These correspond to the number of oxygen atoms with which a metal atom could be combined," Professor Spiccia said. Co-author on the research paper was Dr Rosalie Hocking, Research Fellow in the Australian Centre for Electromaterials Science who explained that what was interesting was the operation of the catalyst, which follows closely natures biogeochemical cycling of manganese in the oceans. "This may provide important insights into the evolution of Nature’s water splitting catalyst found in all plants which uses manganese centres,” Dr Hocking said.

Source

It is about time we have a break through in understanding how plants split water.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I wonder if this could help change fuel cell technology too?

Either way, it is valuable info for the energy front.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The US is involved so it'll probably lead to nothing just yet.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what exactly does spliting water mean ?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by realitytango

Breaking the chemical bond between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms to free the hydrogen for use as a fuel.

Plants do it through the process of photosynthesis and use the hydrogen with carbon to form sugars.

edit on 18-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

thank you for the extra info, thats a great step forward.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by realitytango

No better place to increase your "lack of.." than ATS. Just type "splitting water" in the search box above.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Hydrogen itself isn't fuel, it's an energy carrier.. so separating it from oxygen is only part of the process.. still this is a great step

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
From the OP above-

to create a cheap, efficient way to split water, powered by sunlight,

Sunlight is the total spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation given off by the Sun.

en.wikipedia.org...(disambiguation)

I am looking for exactly how much radiation would be needed to produce a substantial amount for viable use. The process may be simple but what we will need to do is increase what a plant does exponationally which in turn may be the proverbial "Pandora's Box".

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Hydrogen itself isn't fuel, it's an energy carrier.. so separating it from oxygen is only part of the process.. still this is a great step

Hydrogen is a great fuel, just add flame to burn and release it's energy.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by chuckk

Originally posted by miniatus

Hydrogen is a great fuel, just add flame to burn and release it's energy.

True, but what's being produced in a photosynthetic process involving "splitting water" isn't the combustible hydrogen gas, it's a proton which is commonly written as H+ in chemical reactions.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Nice catch there, S&F.
An interesting advancement, indeed.
Question for the all-knowing-and-otherwise-inventing crowd of ATS:
What substance do you refer to with hydrogen gas fuel? H2? Or is it combined with carbon in any way? (I don't think so, but i have to ask).

Thanks in advance.

Drakus

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Scientists can look all they like but when their head is buried in the 'dirt' they will never see the technology that is always around them.

The little secret regarding this technology is very simple. It's 'pulse'. Humans use directed and constant force in a straight line to achieve things in science today. Nature on the other hand uses a pulse and a natural spiral movement of electrons. The space shuttle launch is a good example where it uses 'force' in a straight line and is the most expensive method of spending energy for movement. The shuttle wants to 'spiral' if left to it's own natural movement but the guidance computers will not allow for that.

All one needs to do is to pulsate the water with resonance at a certain frequency. Nothing more, nothing less.

"In every case do the opposite to whatever technology does today. Then you will always be on the right track." - Viktor Schauberger.
edit on 18-5-2011 by reddpill because: Added Schauberger quote.

edit on 18-5-2011 by reddpill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by reddpill
reply to post by iforget

Scientists can look all they like but when their head is buried in the 'dirt' they will never see the technology that is always around them.

The little secret regarding this technology is very simple. It's 'pulse'. Humans use directed and constant force in a straight line to achieve things in science today. Nature on the other hand uses a pulse and a natural spiral movement of electrons. The space shuttle launch is a good example where it uses 'force' in a straight line and is the most expensive method of spending energy and movement . The shuttle wants to 'spiral' if left to it's own natural movement but the guidance computers will not allow for that.

All one needs to do is to pulsate the water with resonance at a certain frequency. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hmm, I like the way you think.
I'd have to get into that to emit a valid opinion, though.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Our Fuels are categorized as HydroCarbons for a reason

Our fossil fuels, ie gasoline, oil, coal are all chemically defined as Hydro Carbons.

Hydrogen is the ultimate energy carrier in all of our fossil based fuels. Petroleum...coal.

There's a company in Massachussetts founded by an MIT Chemistry Prof. that is also working on developing this arificial photosynthesis technology using what is called, PhotoElectrochemical Fuel Cell by the name of Suncatalytix.

They have also developed a catalyst that works with water that using the SUN will break it down into Hydrogen and Oxygen, used to fuel a hydrogen fuel cell. Used to power our homes and cars with electricity.

It also works with any type of water, whether it be clean or dirty.

This is the future for grid free independent free and clean energy.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.suncatalytix.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by realitytango

Breaking the chemical bond between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms to free the hydrogen for use as a fuel.

Plants do it through the process of photosynthesis and use the hydrogen with carbon to form sugars.

edit on 18-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Glad you asked that question as I was wondering too.

So its a kind of water rapture !

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by drakus

Originally posted by reddpill
reply to post by iforget

The little secret regarding this technology is very simple. It's 'pulse'. Humans use directed and constant force in a straight line to achieve things in science today. Nature on the other hand uses a pulse and a natural spiral movement of electrons. The space shuttle launch is a good example where it uses 'force' in a straight line and is the most expensive method of spending energy and movement . The shuttle wants to 'spiral' if left to it's own natural movement but the guidance computers will not allow for that.

Hmm, I like the way you think.
I'd have to get into that to emit a valid opinion, though.

That's ever so fractal and fiboncci... gravity will not be denied. Tis why a circle is really a series of straight lines and why a line eventually becomes a circle. Try 515 after trying 0 and 1 alternatively.
Both become the spiral.
Now back to the Lab.

edit on 21-5-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

top topics

join