It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planking in OZ news: "'Man dies in Brisbane planking stunt''

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Ok so you may have heard bout the latest craze Down Under. The art of planking!

Heres a couple of examples...

As an Aussie with an Aussie sense of humour I can certainly see the funny side but when I first heard about planking, after a good chuckle I had a gut feeling that someone would get seriously hurt or killed.
The following report confirmed my gut feeling...

Man dies in Brisbane planking stunt

20 years old and a life ahead of him, such a tragedy! In good humour this can be a light hearted act but surely theres a line to be drawn.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I find this "planking" craze stupid!

Pointless in fact.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
It says they'd been planking on their way home from a night out, he was probably still drunk.
Could have been a good laugh if he was sober ?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamesprototype
It says they'd been planking on their way home from a night out, he was probably still drunk.
Could have been a good laugh if he was sober ?

Falling off a building sober is funny?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jamesprototype

Agreed! Better to be waking up with a hangover than not at all!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Today at school.. The deputy principal said "whoever takes up this new craze called 'planking' will be kicked out"..

But really, it is pointless.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpal

Im assuming the original post you replied to was implying that if sober it wouldnt have come to this.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

Yeah i agree that it is pointless but thats the aussie humour i was referring to, but as i stated in my OP there is most definately a line to be drawn. 7 stories, drunk, trying to impress the camera all for a few comments and likes on facebook. Hardly worht the outcome in this incident.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
What a stupid hobby, you can't even call that a sport. There's no skill involved really just balance. Could you imagine that in the Olympics? Lol I'd just about stick it in the special Olympics

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpal

"Could have been a good laugh if he was sober" as in
He could have had better balance and gotten the picture.

My bad.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I had never heard of this before. I don't get it.

Is the only actual point just to make a cool photo to share with friends?
They never heard of PhotoShop?

But among the messages of condolence on Facebook were postings from "trolls" who wrote inflammatory comments about Mr Acton's tragic death.
news.ninemsn.com.au...

I also do not understand this statement, from the linked article. This would be expected, and is not unusual at all. If you act like an idiot, it is highly likely that other idiots will be attracted.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TOMFROMOZ

just think of it as evolution in action

i mean c'mon how difficult is this planking crap

there is a craze in Russia where kids and teens lie on train tracks, position themselves safely and let a train drive over/above them
now that is crazy/stupid and should be banned

awww look! while searching for a link i found this other russian craze metro-surfing
www.whatsonningbo.com...

here's what i was talking about
englishrussia.com...

Russian teens have now new fun. They dare trains. This is needed to be done fast, because if one is appearing before the train too long before and machinist could see him and start breaking, so they run on the rails just before the train so he couldn’t start breaking and fell down on the rails, then the train moves above the person at his maximum speed, just a few inches from his head and back. Russian teen girls seem to go for this too.

apparently getting laid or scoring drugs is very difficult in russia

on the other hand ever notice tat when we have a say no to drugs generation they instead do crazy stuff like this?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
And this years Darwin Award goes to....... The guy that thought trying to balance on a 5cm strip of metal while 70 feet in the air would be a good idea.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Another serious injury has occurred as a young man attempted to plank the boot of his mates car while driving. You can guess what happened next and the end result... Comatosed and critical!

new topics

top topics

join