It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by DJKris
Hypothetical discussion here. You're one of the world leaders, ET's have been in contact and informed you that they want to take away a third of the Worlds population for reasons unknown. If we do not co-operate they will destroy the whole planet. You do not at this stage know what kind of weaponry they have, but you do know they are serious and capable.
You have 1 month before they want to start taking people. What do you do? How do you handle this situation?
"Assuming hostile intent:
1. Immediately and in secret meet with all world governments to form a set of contingency plans. (bonus: the planet finally has a reason to stop killing each other and pursue a common humanitarian objective).
2. Assess the situation in terms of potential threat, response scenarios, alternatives to compliance, defense posture potential, etc.
3. Determine a negotiation/stalling strategy should the option become available one month's hence. Must the third be accessed all at once or can we serve them up piecemeal?
3. Assuming we had the choice of selecting the third were we to comply, assemble a list from which to comply, starting with volunteers, the terminally ill, violent criminals/prisoners, etc.
4. Examine hypothetical, e.g., can we exploit some biological frailty (send infecteds in advance, take advantage of some weakness (they can't breath our atmosphere, function in our gravity, sensitivity to UV radiation, etc.)).
5. If we can manage global cooperation, and decide against compliance, prepare all of the possible militaristic offensive hardware, command and control mechanisms, battle plans, etc., that we can and prepare to fight to the death.
6. Corollary to #4: Select several dozen groups of humans to be sequestered in undergrounds bunkers, caverns, research facilities, submarines, etc. to provide a chance, however remote, for the human species to regroup and survive to start over once the smoke and dust clears - if it ever does.
7. Consider Operation Scorched Earth: Should hostilities commence, and the aliens follow through with their threat, and it appears all hope is lost for salvation, then take as many of the filthy critters down as possible, along with their vessels and hardware, poison the wells, and initiate Armageddon. Ideally, we would communicate such ultimatum intent to our captors, and thereby introduce a possible last-chance settlement/treaty. The Earth's governments have enough nuclear weaponry to kill every human several thousand times over. So - invite the buggers down for a pow-wow and and if things go bad for us - push the red button.
8. Hope and pray (not a very effective strategy) that there are benevolent aliens nearby prepared to intervene on our behalf. (Hey - we're playing a thought experiment here! we can toss in a potential savior race, can't we?)