It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patients Helped in End-of-Life Planning by Computer Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Patients with moderate/severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) will be helped to make critical decisions regarding their care as their disease worsens thanks to a new program developed by researchers at Pennsylvania State College of Medicine and Pennsylvania State University.

The results of the study will be presented at the ATS 2011 International Conference in Denver. According to lead author and third-year medical student Joshua Hozella, patients found the CDA was highly accurate at reflecting their wishes for end-of-life medical care and reported high levels of satisfaction using the program.

LINK to full article.

Basically, this new computer programme, will give you a choice as to what you want to decide, when you have to decide, if you should live or die.
I think it might be a good invention, if the patient is unable to communicate, and wants to say something, regarding decisions affecting his life.

However, what i find a bit disconcerting though, is this : What is something goes wrong, and the patient decides he wants to live, but the computer program decides, he wanted to die??

Would such a thing not create more moral issues, about the decision about living or dieing? Who makes the ultimate choice, you or the machine?

VVv

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Never trust a machine with your life...

Yet "We" do it everyday
by hopping into cars
and planes
and nuking toaster strudels in the microwave...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Indeed mate.

Although i think this is rather different. In the examples you mentioned, you are still at your full conciousness, you can make rational decisions etc.

In this case however, you are not, yet you are suppose to make a decision regarding your own life? Based on an algorhythm, from a computer, that might interpret it wrong.

Although, their idea is sound with this, i think it needs alot of testing before implementing.

VVv

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I think you would be shocked to find how many people believe computers solve everything. The answer ism "They have computers now that can do that" in regard to many things, including medical issues.

I agree with you. However, the people I have met are very adamit that computers, indeed can do everything from diagnose to test future mediciens and procedures all without a real person ever having to be tested on.

The computer knows all.

You convince them otherwise, I couldn't. And good luck.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is a good thing. Far too few people really talk about death with the people who need to be prepared for it the most. This computer program is designed to allow people to express their desires for end-of-life care without causing them to lose hope of recovery. However - in many cases, when the patients actually reach terminal phases, they are no longer able to communicate effectively.

When this happens, doctors rely on a statement (when available) that describes how this individual wants to be taken care of end-of-life.

This is a massive issue in the medical field - as most insurance and medicare money is spent on end-of-life operations and procedures that are often not necessarily wanted by the family (or the person receiving them). For example - if I'm in a nursing home where people have to take care of me - I don't want to be resuscitated, fleeted around on a stretcher, etc. Just let me go. And for damned sure don't keep me alive on a machine for weeks.

Really, everyone could stand to use a program like this and have the generated document kept on file and updated every check-up. You use it while you can still communicate so that you can be certain things regarding your medical care will be done according to your wishes when doctors are unable to communicate with you. You could almost think of it as a "healthcare will." And it really wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to have one on file. You never know when you'll be rendered unconscious and doctors sitting there guessing at what you would want to have done.

top topics

join